Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm

My group at work has 9 people in it. Five of them, including myself, are named Chris. My boss and I had the same initials as well to make it even more confusing...
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Posts: 2634
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:08 am
Location: New Zealand

At primary, there were 3 Jacobs, 3 Dylans, 3 Kalibs, and 2 jessicas, all in my class. At high school, I had another class with 3 matts in it, which confused the teachers no end, as two of them looked very similar, despite not being related....
`
Image


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by hanuman   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:42 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:47 pm

There's nothing interesting about names in my family, but March was a VERY busy time for the previous generation. My 2 sisters and I have 3 male cousins from one of our paternal aunts and 6 cousins (2 male, 4 female) from the other, and the whole lot of us are December babies. The only exception is one cousin who was born November 28th, and that only because she was born two weeks prematurely.
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:21 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4833
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi Dreamrider,

So what's so wrong with 'David Mykernowski'? ;)

My grandfather's grandfather's name was John BTW, and depending on your liver, my other brothers [we're all about 4 years apart] including me had excellent Scot or Irish names; my third brother after a very fine Jesuit priest and author my folks knew in Japan, and I was was named after that fiery Irishman Philip Sheridan, who ordered Fort Sill built.

We're all rather proud of their choices, actually.

Now, my sister didn't like her family nickname of Toi (she and Mom were the youngest etc in their families) in junior high because jealous girls called her 'Toilet' [she was easily the prettiest girl there] so she switched to Pat, short for Patricia, her first name, which caused her older brothers some initial confusion when kids called asking for Pat or Patty. :D

L


dreamrider wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Hutch,

My family commemorated the wife's family by making her last name the first born son's middle name while David was always the first born son's first name; so my Grandfather's father's name was David Ross, my grandfather's name was David Cairns, my father's was David Reed, and my oldest brother's was David Ray while my oldest nephew was David Snyder.

For years when both my dad and brother were living in the same house, we'd get calls for David Lyon, then David R, which didn't clarify things so unless they knew the middle name, they had to state their business before we could tell which they really wanted.

Once my second brother answered the phone of someone wanting Mr. Lyon, and was told 'we have five of those here'; and upon learning it was David Lyon, responded with 'we have two of those too'; 'yes, both had the same middle initial', 'yup, both had served in the military', etc, etc; that had all of us listening on our side rolling on the floor laughing. :lol:

My nephew named his son Grant to end all the clutter of David's. ;) :D

L


What in God's name did your family do if an eldest son married a girl named Analise Mykernowski?? :-)

dreamrider
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by hanuman   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Ooh, can we mention nicknames?

Mine is 'Toutjie' (pronounced 'tow-kee'). It's an Afrikaans word meaning 'little rope' or 'string', and I got it when my eldest cousin saw me the first time. Apparently my mom was changing my diaper at the time and he said something to the effect of: "Look, he has a little rope".
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:42 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Posts: 1533
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: Greer, South Carolina USA

hanuman wrote:Ooh, can we mention nicknames?

Mine is 'Toutjie' (pronounced 'tow-kee'). It's an Afrikaans word meaning 'little rope' or 'string', and I got it when my eldest cousin saw me the first time. Apparently my mom was changing my diaper at the time and he said something to the effect of: "Look, he has a little rope".


Oh... well if we're talking nicknames...

Mine's usually been "O-D", as in the first two letters in my last name (O'D...). Although some people interpret it differently, depending on their mindset. It was originally bestowed upon me by a friend who was too lazy to say my last name when he would call me on the phone (this would be in junior high, back in the late 1970's):

Me: "Hello?"
Him: "O-D"
Me: "Yeah..."
Him: "KP"
Me: "What's up?"

Later, people equated it with Odie, from the Garfield comic strip (early high school years, about 1980).

When I went into the Air Force, it gained three interpretations: olive drab, out 'dere ("out there" but said with a Brooklyn accent), and overdose. That was between 1984 and 1991.
=================

DeviantArt: http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/
Mk28 Condor pinnace: http://youtu.be/fy8e-3lrKGE
HMS Fearless: http://youtu.be/uEiGEeq8SiI
Mk13 load sequence: http://youtu.be/i99Ufp_wAnQ
Mk16 attack sequence: http://youtu.be/byq68MjOlJU
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Posts: 2634
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:08 am
Location: New Zealand

Hey, its better than mine. I apparently look like him, and know a lot about physics, so I have the nickname Sheldon.....
MaxxQ wrote:
hanuman wrote:Ooh, can we mention nicknames?

Mine is 'Toutjie' (pronounced 'tow-kee'). It's an Afrikaans word meaning 'little rope' or 'string', and I got it when my eldest cousin saw me the first time. Apparently my mom was changing my diaper at the time and he said something to the effect of: "Look, he has a little rope".


Oh... well if we're talking nicknames...

Mine's usually been "O-D", as in the first two letters in my last name (O'D...). Although some people interpret it differently, depending on their mindset. It was originally bestowed upon me by a friend who was too lazy to say my last name when he would call me on the phone (this would be in junior high, back in the late 1970's):

Me: "Hello?"
Him: "O-D"
Me: "Yeah..."
Him: "KP"
Me: "What's up?"

Later, people equated it with Odie, from the Garfield comic strip (early high school years, about 1980).

When I went into the Air Force, it gained three interpretations: olive drab, out 'dere ("out there" but said with a Brooklyn accent), and overdose. That was between 1984 and 1991.
`
Image


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Daryl   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

My nickname was/is Kelly, from Ned Kelly who was our cultural hero/villain from our wild west days - sort of a Jesse James with insurgent (Washington) vibes. Hung as a police murderer, but honoured as being brave. Bold as Ned Kelly! Apparently I was a difficult child who many thought wouldn't survive to adulthood, due to a failure to accept that many things might be lethal.
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by TheMonster   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 am

Direwolf18 wrote:My group at work has 9 people in it. Five of them, including myself, are named Chris. My boss and I had the same initials as well to make it even more confusing...
A friend of mine told me about one place where he worked. Two women had exactly the same name (first, middle, surname). I don't remember the name but for the sake of this discussion, assume they were both Susan whatever... Because of their differing complexions, they were invariably addressed as "Black Susan" and "White Susan".

One day, someone from corporate HQ was visiting and heard this, freaked the hell out about it. My friend (who happens to be black) asked the suit "These women have exactly the same name. Black Susan is black, and White Susan is white. How else are we supposed to tell them apart?" The suit, having no good answer, wisely STFU at that point.
Top
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Does any of you reaaaly think you got it bad? How would you like to have her name? ...

Kate Micucci. Comedian. She hosted a monthly show called "Playin' with Micucci."
http://youtu.be/6C6CzEEKaXQ

I imagine that she was laughed at so much in her life as a kid and adult that she was destined to either become a comedian — to laugh with the world, or an axe murderer — to silence the laughter! :lol:

She who laughs last ... laughs ... last.
She also plays the very shy gf of Raj Koothrappali, "The Big Bang Theory."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse