Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Oh, are we doing full names now?

Mine is You Nosy Gits. :mrgreen:

I will say, however, that my brother and I barely escaped being called 'Lionel' and 'Solange' respectively. Thankfully, my mother came to her senses. :lol:

Yikes... Ok, Solange i can understand at least, but Lionel is a male name, even if the meaning is "cute"(little lion) which is often used as a reason for a name to be a female name, but... :?
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:40 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
roseandheather wrote:Oh, are we doing full names now?

Mine is You Nosy Gits. :mrgreen:

I will say, however, that my brother and I barely escaped being called 'Lionel' and 'Solange' respectively. Thankfully, my mother came to her senses. :lol:

Yikes... Ok, Solange i can understand at least, but Lionel is a male name, even if the meaning is "cute"(little lion) which is often used as a reason for a name to be a female name, but... :?

No, it wasn't that bad!! My brother was nearly called Lionel. Which is still bad enough - as said brother pointed out, it's the kind of name that gets you beat up on the playground - but at least she didn't try to apply it to me! :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by DawnFalcon   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 pm

DawnFalcon
Midshipman

I won't give my full name here, because it's a spelling which exactly two families in the world seem to have.

(It's how the immigration officer wrote it down almost a century ago. That doesn't happen these days, so we have less new surnames...)

But I will say my first name is Andrew. At one job, out of about seventy people working there, I was the ninth Andrew to be hired.

And yes, of course I was sitting next to two other Andrews.

(Spaceballs - "I knew it! I'm surrounded by ***holes!")
Post by KNick   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:40 pm

KNick
Admiral

Thirty years ago as I was looking through the Reno, NV phone book for my new telephone number, I happened to see my little brother's name listed with an address in Tahoe, NV. Thinking he had moved down to Tahoe for the skiing, I gave him a call. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that it was not my little brother. Same first, middle and last name. Totally unrelated to anyone in my family. And his family got their name the same way ours had: Ellis Island Immigration Office, with a later legal change to what it is now.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

True story, I know a Ben Dover who married a girl called Ilene.
A cousin is named Colin Gull. Lots of Richard Heads around as well.
Post by yannosh   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

yannosh
Commander

interesting thing - for three generations back everyone on all sides of my family has an old traditional serbocroatian name - except me.
And I was never intended to. Well, mom did want to name me masculine form of her own name, but dad wouldn't hear of it. He wanted to name me Đorđe (George).
Eventualy it was my brother who gave me my current name when he named me after his best friend's younger brother. Out of blue, right to the hospital notary before either mom or dad could speak. They found it so precocious that they allowed it. Then came my sister and younger brother and they also got traditional old names.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
No, it wasn't that bad!! My brother was nearly called Lionel. Which is still bad enough - as said brother pointed out, it's the kind of name that gets you beat up on the playground - but at least she didn't try to apply it to me! :lol:

*phew*

I misread how that was about your brother...

:mrgreen:

DawnFalcon wrote:But I will say my first name is Andrew. At one job, out of about seventy people working there, I was the ninth Andrew to be hired.

:lol:
Post by Dafmeister   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

DawnFalcon wrote:But I will say my first name is Andrew. At one job, out of about seventy people working there, I was the ninth Andrew to be hired.

For a while, the company I work for had four Steve's in a total workforce of twenty-six.
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:

For a while, the company I work for had four Steve's in a total workforce of twenty-six.

There's another Dave around the corner from me.
Post by Norm.bone   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Story #1: My son Howie is named in honor of my father, Leslie Howard Kroll. I was named to honor his father, David Kroll.

They're buried in the same family plot in New Jersey. It freaks my wife and I out to look down and see graves with her husband's and son's names on them.

Story #2: Since we used my preference for our son, I had nothing to do with our daughter, Joey's, name. My grandmother-in-law picked "Johanna Angeline Rose Kroll" from the shortlist. [I had secretly hoped that they'd go with "Johanna Elizabeth Rose Kroll," as it would offer an extra opportunity for her brother to tease her and get in trouble, but it wasn't to be.]

At the hospital, they asked me whether to spell "Johanna" with one or two 'n's while my wife was recovering. Having no idea what the plan was, I said, "Use two- they're free!" I got lucky.

Story #3: At family functions, my brother-in-law amuses himself by introducing, "His nephew Leslie, and his neices Sam, Joey and Charlie."

Return to Honorverse