Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The classic novel Catch 22, had a significant character as a Captain in the US airforce called Major Major, so they naturally promoted him.

Regarding real life examples my sister was named after our two grandmothers as Edna Victoria, but meant to always be called Vicki. As an adult all official correspondence went to Edna, so cue deed poll.
Post by crewdude48   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Don't worry Mr Weber, those names aren't so bad. There are much worse out there.

Some are just parents being jerks; for example, and I am not making this up, Airwrecka McBride. Or the Hawk family naming their son Mike. I even once met a girl named Anally, pronounced "Anna-Lee."

Others are victims of circumstance. Traditionally, the highest ranking officer in the US Army was given the title Marshal, at least until General Marshall was promoted around the time of WWII, when it became General of the Army, because he flat out refused to be called Marshal Marshall.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:Don't worry Mr Weber, those names aren't so bad. There are much worse out there.

Many, Many, Many Moons ago, I had a trainer named Louis B. Tenant. Staff Sergeant Louis B. Tenant.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:06 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Imaginos1892 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Sharon and I carried on the practice of cruel and unusual names. The kids are:

Megan Elizabeth Monira Rice-Weber;
Morgan Emily Monirath Rice-Weber;
and
Michael Paul Alexander Rice-Weber.

So when I hang all these multi-barreled names on characters, I'm only doing what comes natural! :twisted: :lol:

There should be a big sign in every maternity waiting room:

Your kid is going to have to go through high school with that name!

Might not help, but then again it might. Sometimes I just have to wonder, "How could your parents have hated you that much the day you were born?"
-----------------
"Relax, Charlie; I've got an ANgle."

My English 101 teacher 40-odd years ago was named Milton Gideon Van Hoy IV and went by Milt. He was having coffee with me one day in the canteen and, in the course of the conversation (which had turned to the naming of children for some reason), he said to me: "Can you imagine four generations of fathers hating their sons enough to inflict that name on them after experiencing it themselves? I fixed 'em though. I'm gay."

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

roseandheather wrote:I, meanwhile, decided quite some time ago that any potential baby name had to pass the "President Test": that is, when "President of the United States" is appended to it, it must not look or sound ridiculous.

I think there *was* a sign like that at the hospital where I was born, because my parents named me John Fitzgerald O'Donnell (I was born September 1964). I guess they had high expectations for me. Sorry to disappoint, mom. :mrgreen:
Post by Lazalarlives   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I guess my family tradition is a bit normal compared to these. The new arrival's middle name was given in honor of a relative while their first name was their own. Thus my son - middle name Patrick for my wife's mother Patricia- and my daughter - middle name Marguerite for my grandmother - have their own names while still honoring their elders.

BTW, my middle name, William, for my father's father, hacked my father's mother (who had divorced him) off so badly she didn't talk to my parents for almost seven years.

Just my 2 centicreds,
Dave
Edited once to add a name reference
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:47 pm

saber964
Admiral

When I was in the navy I went through a training school with a guy (I kid you not) Seaman James Commander. I also have a friend of the family who went to USNA whose last name was Sarjent. I also served with a guy who gloried in the last name of Stane, yes, you guessed it he was Seaman Stane. Passing his name over the 1MC always resulted in double takes and super tanker full of giggles.
Post by wholf359   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 pm

wholf359
Commander

While in the USN I was roommates with a Seaman James T. Kirk. We always joked he should of gone to the Enterprise instead of the submarine fleet.
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 pm

saber964
Admiral

wholf359 wrote:While in the USN I was roommates with a Seaman James T. Kirk. We always joked he should of gone to the Enterprise instead of the submarine fleet.

IIRC the current CO of the USS Zumwalt is James A Kirk
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:My brother always asks, when he hears a particular name, "Why do parents hate their children?"

I, meanwhile, decided quite some time ago that any potential baby name had to pass the "President Test": that is, when "President of the United States" is appended to it, it must not look or sound ridiculous.

So even if you've got your heart set on calling your daughter 'Barbie', you really ought to put 'Barbara' on the birth certificate. :mrgreen:

Barbie's name is in fact Barbara -- in full, Barbara Millicent Roberts.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?

Return to Honorverse