Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by hanuman   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:19 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Does any of you reaaaly think you got it bad? How would you like to have her name? ...

Kate Micucci. Comedian. She hosted a monthly show called "Playin' with Micucci."
http://youtu.be/6C6CzEEKaXQ

I imagine that she was laughed at so much in her life as a kid and adult that she was destined to either become a comedian — to laugh with the world, or an axe murderer — to silence the laughter! :lol:

She who laughs last ... laughs ... last.
She also plays the very shy gf of Raj Koothrappali, "The Big Bang Theory."

Naughty naughty.

Makes me think of a Dutch surname I encountered while staying in Amsterdam a few years ago: Flaterpoes.

A 'flater' means 'mistake' or, as an adjective, 'broken', in both Dutch and Afrikaans.

A 'poes' means 'cat' in Dutch, but in Afrikaans it's a really rude term for 'vagina'.

Imagine my reaction, as a brand new arrival in Amsterdam, when my then-boyfriend introduced his neighbour as 'Mrs Flaterpoes'. I was mortified!!!
Post by TheMonster   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Does any of you reaaaly think you got it bad? How would you like to have her name? ...

Kate Micucci. Comedian. She hosted a monthly show called "Playin' with Micucci."

. . .
They broke up. I think a lot of viewers felt like The Bride of Monster that her character was just too damn creepy.
My surname definitely ranks up there with Micucci, but as a matter of policy I don't use it in online fora like this.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
cthia wrote:
Does any of you reaaaly think you got it bad? How would you like to have her name? ...

. . .
They broke up. I think a lot of viewers felt like The Bride of Monster that her character was just too damn creepy.
My surname definitely ranks up there with Micucci, but as a matter of policy I don't use it in online fora like this.

You know, your bride is right. Her character was spooky. The climbing out of bathroom windows was a bit much for me, however, I was hoping they'd positively develop her character.

I won't ask about your surname Monster, out of respect, but the very fact that you said it ranks up there with Micucci? surely piques my interest. Curiosity is killing many treecats now. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Terranovan   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 am

Terranovan
Ensign

My grandfather was an OB/GYN, and a (now secondhand) account has him trying unsuccessfully to talk a couple out of naming two successive girls "Menstruation" and "Placenta", respectively. They thought those names sounded pretty.
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."
Post by Julia Minor   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 am

Julia Minor
Commander

My cousin has been researching the family tree. I have a multiple-great aunt who was named Medulla.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Or a woman named Truelove? Only about two references to her in my genealogy research. Actually, she may a key to a roadblock in my research but so far nobody seems to have any other information on her.
Post by thanatos   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:39 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Sharon and I carried on the practice of cruel and unusual names. The kids are:

Megan Elizabeth Monira Rice-Weber;
Morgan Emily Monirath Rice-Weber;
and
Michael Paul Alexander Rice-Weber.

So when I hand all these multi-barreled names on characters, I'm only doing what comes natural! :twisted: :lol:

With all due respect RFC, you got nothing on a cousin of mine, who named all his daughter with rather flowery artistic names, such Rumia (translated "God shall elevate"), Yonat Bat-Ami (lit. "dove daughter of my people"), Pliah ("wonder"), Me'ona
("place of refuge") and Hemda Tzofia ("delight" and "oversee").
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

thanatos wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Sharon and I carried on the practice of cruel and unusual names. The kids are:

and

So when I hand all these multi-barreled names on characters, I'm only doing what comes natural! :twisted: :lol:

With all due respect RFC, you got nothing on a cousin of mine, who named all his daughter with rather flowery artistic names, such Rumia (translated "God shall elevate"), Yonat Bat-Ami (lit. "dove daughter of my people"), Pliah ("wonder"), Me'ona
("place of refuge") and Hemda Tzofia ("delight" and "oversee").

Well, certainly in America it's a good thing that name changes are legal and fairly easy. Incidentally, two of the most common reasons for changing ones name is listed as . . .

1. To replace a frivolous name given by their parents (e.g., old name Mikey Maus, new name Marcus Maus)

2. To replace a name which might be considered undesirable with a more desirable one (e.g. old surname Lipschitz, new surname London)

Although, Morgan Rice Weber has the stately ring of a stage name, all set for Tinseltown.

There are times I wonder if parents were tripping on LSD at the time. After all, names are changed to protect the innocent. LOL

Imagine how much suffering names have subjected many helpless kids to. Parents should be liable for torture by nomenclature.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by WLBjork   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:12 am

WLBjork
Commander

I can add to the "how many with the same name" malarkey.

Firstly, as a Scout we had either 6 or 7 named 'Andrew' at the same time - out of about 25-30.

More recently, the number of people named 'Peter' in my local Ambulance service. Still got 3 even after the non-emergency side was privatised. When I started there were at least 6, and when the longest serving colleague started there he said there were, if memory serves, 14!
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:10 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

and

So I expect these kids to start singing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" or "I Don't Know How To Love Him". ;)

Return to Honorverse