Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 115 guests

Caslet.....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Caslet.....
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:58 pm

SpaceManSpiff
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I hope this isn't a dupe and I apologize in advance if it is.......

I'm really hoping we see a meeting between Pritchart, Thiesman, and Calet.

He deserves a Presidential pardon and a medal.
Re: Caslet.....
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SpaceManSpiff wrote:I hope this isn't a dupe and I apologize in advance if it is.......

Unfortunately, I don't think the pardon would be forthcoming, for the simple reason that it can't be. Entirely justified it might have been, but Warner Caslet did leave his Navy and offer his services to that navy's current opponent. Eloise Pritchart cannot pardon him for that, because it would set an incredibly dangerous precedent.

She can, however, put a bug in one Protector Benjamin's ear. Since Warner's a Grayson citizen now, Benjy would be entirely within his rights to give a medal to a man serving in his Navy. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:54 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
SpaceManSpiff wrote:I hope this isn't a dupe and I apologize in advance if it is.......

Unfortunately, I don't think the pardon would be forthcoming, for the simple reason that it can't be. Entirely justified it might have been, but Warner Caslet did leave his Navy and offer his services to that navy's current opponent. Eloise Pritchart cannot pardon him for that, because it would set an incredibly dangerous precedent.

She can, however, put a bug in one Protector Benjamin's ear. Since Warner's a Grayson citizen now, Benjy would be entirely within his rights to give a medal to a man serving in his Navy. :mrgreen:

I don't know, Rose. Caslet didn't leave the Republic of Haven Navy, after all; he left the People's Navy. The two organisations are entirely different entities, under the jurisdiction of two entirely different polities. I don't know whether it'd even be NECESSARY for Pritchart to grant him a pardon; after all, he didn't foreswear his oath to the Republic or her navy.

In case anyone forgot, if Caslet requires a pardon for betraying Haven, then what about Pritchart herself or Theisman - because if that is true of Caslet, then there's a definite case that they too committed treason against Haven.
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:14 pm

SpaceManSpiff

[/quote]I don't know, Rose. Caslet didn't leave the Republic of Haven Navy, after all; he left the People's Navy. The two organisations are entirely different entities, under the jurisdiction of two entirely different polities. I don't know whether it'd even be NECESSARY for Pritchart to grant him a pardon; after all, he didn't foreswear his oath to the Republic or her navy.

In case anyone forgot, if Caslet requires a pardon for betraying Haven, then what about Pritchart herself or Theisman - because if that is true of Caslet, then there's a definite case that they too committed treason against Haven.[/quote]

I hadn't thought of it that way.
Very good point!
I guess it's safe to say that what Theisman did was just a bit worse.....From the Peoples Republics point of view... :lol:
Last edited by SpaceManSpiff on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:...then there's a definite case that they too committed treason against Haven.

"Treason never prospers. For if it prospers, none dare call it treason." -- Ben Franklin(?)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
hanuman wrote:...then there's a definite case that they too committed treason against Haven.

"Treason never prospers. For if it prospers, none dare call it treason." -- Ben Franklin(?)

Or, as a particular Revolutionary War musical says, "Treason is a charge invented by the winners as an excuse for hanging the losers." :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:17 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:Or, as a particular Revolutionary War musical says, "Treason is a charge invented by the winners as an excuse for hanging the losers." :mrgreen:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Same principle...
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm

SpaceManSpiff

Or, as a particular Revolutionary War musical says, "Treason is a charge invented by the winners as an excuse for hanging the losers." :mrgreen:[/quote][/quote]

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Same principle...[/quote]
"A penny saved is a penny earned".........
Wait, what were we talking about?
Post by danpcman   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 pm

danpcman
Midshipman

Caslet was an active member of the "Protector's Own" which was in combat at the Second Battle of Marsh. (WOH)

Sorry, don't think he can go home. But when he retires to Grayson, he will be a Peep who saved Honor. I don't think he will have any issues finding a girl.

Then again, in 20 more years after Honor is crowned and the entire universe is part of her realm, no one would question him being able to go home.
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

danpcman wrote:Caslet was an active member of the "Protector's Own" which was in combat at the Second Battle of Marsh. (WOH)

Sorry, don't think he can go home. But when he retires to Grayson, he will be a Peep who saved Honor. I don't think he will have any issues finding a girl.

Then again, in 20 more years after Honor is crowned and the entire universe is part of her realm, no one would question him being able to go home.

True, but by that time he wasn't a Havenite citizen anymore, nor has he sworn an oath to protect and uphold the Constitution of the Republic. He was a Grayson citizen, sworn to the service of the Sword. Should he wish to visit Haven in order to visit family or friends, there should be no legal impediment to such a visit.

I do NOT foresee him wanting to reclaim Havenite citizenship. He is the kind of person who takes his oath of loyalty serious, and it was only because the Peeps betrayed him in the first place that he broke his oath to the People's Republic. There is no way that Benjamin would ever betray his own oath as Caslet's liege, and therefore no way Caslet would ever betray his oath as Benjamin's liegeman.

Return to Honorverse