Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests

Caslet.....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Caslet.....
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Hank Plantagenet
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Mitchell, Esq. wrote:I think Caslet is a problem that the RoH would like to avoid addressing at this time.

An officer in the People's Navy who defected under threat from State Sec who then ended up as an officer in a foreign nobleman's personal navy...that ended up fighting against his former country - which, by the way, is under new management... of people who overthrew the government he fled for similar reasons.

<snip>

That would describe Alfredo Yu, as well. And, if I recall correctly, Yu was in the planning room with everyone else in the planning for 2nd Manticore.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

Yes, but Yu was wearing a Grayson (Protector's Own) Uniform, not a Havenite one. I think Eloise, Thiessman and Tourville could both accept him and Caslet. I'm not so sure about the rest of Haven.

They not only left the service of their own nation, they actively took up arms to oppose it. They wore their enemies uniform, fought under a foreign flag and shed their countrymen's blood. As much as they are both honourable and good people, Haven can't give them a medal for what they have done.

Think of the people who defected from the USSR. Do you think they are honoured in modern day Russia?
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

One soluton would be for Caslet to join the Grayson Navy- probably the Protector's Own and become of Citizen of Grayson from Harrington Steading.

At that point, he well might be officlay ignored by Haven. Since the ROH really doesn't have a pressing reason to go after him and he could be seen- privately at least- as an example of someone who had to make the hard choice of going against State Security and what was clearly the corrupt regeim, they can just let him go. He may not want to actually go home again but that wouldn't cut him off from any family he has left in Haven.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

Brigade XO wrote:One soluton would be for Caslet to join the Grayson Navy- probably the Protector's Own and become of Citizen of Grayson from Harrington Steading.

At that point, he well might be officlay ignored by Haven. Since the ROH really doesn't have a pressing reason to go after him and he could be seen- privately at least- as an example of someone who had to make the hard choice of going against State Security and what was clearly the corrupt regeim, they can just let him go. He may not want to actually go home again but that wouldn't cut him off from any family he has left in Haven.

I see my memory has let me down. Caslet never joined the Protector's Own. In that case I suppose he could go back. The question is did he 'betray' the PRH or did he help
'rescue' Parnell and reveal SS and the CoPS betrayal?

One place where he might end up is working beneath Foraker. Wouldn't that be ironic?
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

BobfromSydney wrote:I see my memory has let me down. Caslet never joined the Protector's Own.

Err...what? Caslet is mentioned throughout WoH as being one of Admiral Yu's squadron commanders.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Uhh yea Caslet most DEFINITELY joined up with the Protector's Own. He had a number of parts that he appeared in during WoH, Rear Admiral Caslet commanded the PO's first Battle squadron at the second battle of Marsh..

He was also in that scene where Protector Benjamin was having lunch at the Harrington Stedding with all the other officers from the protectors own in Ashes of Victory. He was mentioning how they were following the election results because for them it was really relevant considering how their votes had not mattered at home..

I think the likelihood of him or Alfredo Yu joining back up with the Republic Navy varies between nonexistent and less then that. The man did engage in active combat operations against the Republic, and NOT just the People's Republic. That bridge is well and truly burnt. Whats more I wouldn't be surprised if both of them would rather live in Grayson anyways if they had the choice. A home you were born into vs the home you choose. I don't think either of them had family left at this point anyways.

Working with Havenites yes, donning that uniform ever again? Not gonna happen.

That being said I would LOVE to see more Caslet scenes. For such a major charachter around mid series he drops out almost entirely. He was casually mentioned as attending howard clinkscales funeral and that was the last place I saw him.
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:56 pm

SpaceManSpiff
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Direwolf18 wrote:Uhh yea Caslet most DEFINITELY joined up with the Protector's Own. He had a number of parts that he appeared in during WoH, Rear Admiral Caslet commanded the PO's first Battle squadron at the second battle of Marsh..

He was also in that scene where Protector Benjamin was having lunch at the Harrington Stedding with all the other officers from the protectors own in Ashes of Victory. He was mentioning how they were following the election results because for them it was really relevant considering how their votes had not mattered at home..

I think the likelihood of him or Alfredo Yu joining back up with the Republic Navy varies between nonexistent and less then that. The man did engage in active combat operations against the Republic, and NOT just the People's Republic. That bridge is well and truly burnt. Whats more I wouldn't be surprised if both of them would rather live in Grayson anyways if they had the choice. A home you were born into vs the home you choose. I don't think either of them had family left at this point anyways.

Working with Havenites yes, donning that uniform ever again? Not gonna happen.

That being said I would LOVE to see more Caslet scenes. For such a major charachter around mid series he drops out almost entirely. He was casually mentioned as attending howard clinkscales funeral and that was the last place I saw him.

Well, when I started this thread my point was that I'd like to see a scene where the ROH officially absolves Caslet and Yu (through a Presidential Pardon or an act of Congress) of any "crimes" that either of them may have committed against the PRH or the ROH. Although it could be argued that since the PRH doesn't exist as a political entity anymore there isn't anyone from the PRH to bring charges.
I know theres no way they'd be back in Peep uniform. They swore personal allegiance to the Protector when they joined the Protectors Own.
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Not saying you were Spaceman, some people were already picking what assignments he would get when he rejoined the RHN however.

Not sure of a congressional pardon but a, "all is forgiven moment" is definitely not unreasonable. That congressional pardon would be oh so official, and no doubt turn into a political slugging match, for no other reason then the opposition sees it as an opportunity to make hay.

I would LOVE to see a meeting between him and Shannon. I have no doubt she understood, and would have done it twice as hard in his shoes. The girl ADORES Nimitz, and was willing to lie through her teeth to Cordelia Ransom's face in order to save his life. The girl has guts and integrity in spades. One of the reason that many people on these forums think she will probably be one of if not the first Havenite to get a tree cat bondmate and not just a bodyguard.
Post by danpcman   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 pm

danpcman
Midshipman

Direwolf18 wrote:Not saying you were Spaceman, some people were already picking what assignments he would get when he rejoined the RHN however.

Not sure of a congressional pardon but a, "all is forgiven moment" is definitely not unreasonable. That congressional pardon would be oh so official, and no doubt turn into a political slugging match, for no other reason then the opposition sees it as an opportunity to make hay.

I would LOVE to see a meeting between him and Shannon. I have no doubt she understood, and would have done it twice as hard in his shoes. The girl ADORES Nimitz, and was willing to lie through her teeth to Cordelia Ransom's face in order to save his life. The girl has guts and integrity in spades. One of the reason that many people on these forums think she will probably be one of if not the first Havenite to get a tree cat bondmate and not just a bodyguard.

They say treecat's have a wicked sense of humor. They just have to find one that say, "Oops."
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

SpaceManSpiff
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

danpcman wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Not saying you were Spaceman, some people were already picking what assignments he would get when he rejoined the RHN however.

They say treecat's have a wicked sense of humor. They just have to find one that say, "Oops."

That was one of my all time favorite moments.
I was already a Shannon fan but that cemented it. I think she's my favorite peep.
I know they're not peeps anymore but I can't help calling them that anyway.

Return to Honorverse