Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 157 guests

House of steel question

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: House of steel question
Post by Michael Riddell   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:I actually used Jane's in HotQ and didn't worry about it at all (because it didn't occur to me to, given the context). When Ad Astra started on SITS, they altered the spelling for the very reasons cited above.

FWIW, Jayne's is widely distributed in the Honorverse, not simply an SKM publication. My version of in it the Honorverse is not nearly so well-informed as Ad Astra's version, however, and the more "speculative" data in it (i.e., anything not already known the Solarian ONI) is routinely disregarded by the Invincible Solarian League since, after all, its intelligence sources must be better than that stupid bunch of civilians. Besides, what does it matter what the clever little Japanese are up to when we clearly have a superior fleet sitting in Port Arthur ready to cut them back down to size if they're foolish enough to try anything? ;)

The biggest problem the SLN's intelligence people have is that (aside from a few fairly-far-down-the-totem-pole characters I've introduced you to, they are totally satisfied that their intelligence sources are the broadest and their analysts are the finest to be found anywhere in the explored galaxy. If they weren't, after all, the ISLN wouldn't be the ISLN and would actually have a peer competitor somewhere, which it manifestly does not. :roll: :twisted:

As for the degree of detail of the entries in HoS, we wanted an "in-universe" feel for it and this seemed the best compromise between that and giving readers a lot more detailed information than they've gotten from the infodumps in the books.

Thanks RFC!

I like the Russo-Japanese War reference as well. Now, which Sollies are Makarov and Vitgeft....? ;)

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Michael Riddel,

Given the relative casualties and how often the IJN beat the Russian navy in that war, its not that close of a historical fit for RFC [not a 1000-1 ratio etc], though you might get a further RFC post if he has the time and is felling generous.

Back at the bar several years ago, when various posters pointed out the military professional and hobbyist networks should have been all over the Haven sector wars, the MWW/RFC critiqued that supposition for reasons I can't recall ATM, though I wish it among many others had reached the pearls, but I suspect the MAlign might have suppressed any such professional interest.

L

Michael Riddell wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:I actually used Jane's in HotQ and didn't worry about it at all (because it didn't occur to me to, given the context). When Ad Astra started on SITS, they altered the spelling for the very reasons cited above.

FWIW, Jayne's is widely distributed in the Honorverse, not simply an SKM publication. My version of in it the Honorverse is not nearly so well-informed as Ad Astra's version, however, and the more "speculative" data in it (i.e., anything not already known the Solarian ONI) is routinely disregarded by the Invincible Solarian League since, after all, its intelligence sources must be better than that stupid bunch of civilians. Besides, what does it matter what the clever little Japanese are up to when we clearly have a superior fleet sitting in Port Arthur ready to cut them back down to size if they're foolish enough to try anything? ;)

The biggest problem the SLN's intelligence people have is that (aside from a few fairly-far-down-the-totem-pole characters I've introduced you to, they are totally satisfied that their intelligence sources are the broadest and their analysts are the finest to be found anywhere in the explored galaxy. If they weren't, after all, the ISLN wouldn't be the ISLN and would actually have a peer competitor somewhere, which it manifestly does not. :roll: :twisted:

As for the degree of detail of the entries in HoS, we wanted an "in-universe" feel for it and this seemed the best compromise between that and giving readers a lot more detailed information than they've gotten from the infodumps in the books.

Thanks RFC!

I like the Russo-Japanese War reference as well. Now, which Sollies are Makarov and Vitgeft....? ;)

Mike. :)
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by hvb   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes, I always had the feeling that Jane's/Jayne's was like the today's version; headquartered in some core world (maybe Sol, but due the Final War more likely some first-generation colony).

The remark in tHotQ is likely where I first got the notion that the RMN build those initial nine BCs to get mentioned in Jayne's: BCs are Capital Ships, so Jayne's would be bound to include the SKM if they build a squadron of them, which would continue the deterrence effect that the MCT was after when they commissioned those four Frigates.

... Which (Hobby Horse/Fishing Expedition warning :geek: ) by my WAG were ordered in two batches of two: One in response to the Icarus' sailing, and the other in response to the advent of the Inertial Compensator & the Jason's imminent arrival ... resulting in around 32 frigate crews, most of whom likely were paid for a 10-year hitch in colony shares, being thawed to greet the Jason (or just thereafter), whence the crews for those nine BCs (and an immediate slump in numbers of crews and resulting build-down soon thereafter as they would all be retiring within a few years).

FWIW, Jayne's is widely distributed in the Honorverse, not simply an SKM publication. My version of in it the Honorverse is not nearly so well-informed as Ad Astra's version, however, and the more "speculative" data in it (i.e., anything not already known the Solarian ONI) is routinely disregarded by the Invincible Solarian League since, after all, its intelligence sources must be better than that stupid bunch of civilians.
[snip]
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:53 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One might also infer that the SL doesn't hold a great respect to the Neobarbs, who ever they may be, and SKM/SEM when their BC or DD outclasses similar craft only, in their eyes?, because they are one or two class levels larger. A BB is better than a BC. A small CA is better than our own DD-tincan. Every time.

Having a published series going around saying wacky things that can be explained away with logic or as dis information goes a long way to establishing the credibility or lack there of, in the eyes of those who think they are your betters.

Return to Honorverse