Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

Eridiani edict

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Eridiani edict
Post by svenhauke   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:03 pm

svenhauke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

when the SL colapses who will enforce it ?

manticore `? GA will they be able ?

and will the alignment be the one who kills planets ?
Re: Eridiani edict
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

svenhauke wrote:when the SL colapses who will enforce it ?

svenhauke. First, welcome to the Forum. Pull up a chair and pour yourself an Old Tillman.

I'll address your points, but if I may offer a couple of suggestions first:

1. Take your time on the typing. It may be, like a couple of other posters here, that English is not your native language, and we're fine with that--but do try to include the Capitals at the Start of the sentence and take a few moments to organize your thoughts in English, it will help a lot in our replying to your questions.

2. Please, before starting a thread, do take a look at the most recent 2-3 pages to see if there is a thread on the topic you're interested in. We (well, most of us) don't mind rehashing a topic (we might have some new thoughts since the old one, after all), but if we've been on the topic just last week, some of the regulars might be a bit...grumpy.

Anyway, your post is something that we've speculated on quite a bit here (and probably will continue to until the next book is released.

The general consensus (IMHO, others may disagree) is that we don't know. The GA has a lot on its' plate, and while I am sure any treaties they make will include a respect for the Edict, can they enforce it in a Galaxy that needs to learn new rules, since the old one (the SL is always right) is going..going..gone.

Several posters seem to think this is possible, but RFC (that's Runs for Celery, or David Weber himself), tends to think the threat of retaliation (all the destroyed side needs is one ship to hit the enemy planet with wedge up and at .8c to give them a Really Bad Day.

The Alignment has no compunctions about killing, but only if there end purpose is served. Will that happen--only the Mad Wizard Weber (MWW) knows for sure.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by phillies   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:34 pm

phillies
Admiral

As I have said before, but someone else gets to listen, sooner or later it will occur to the ISLN Invincible Solarian League Navy and its bosses that the Eridani Edict is not much of a threat against people with whom you are already at war.
Post by kzt   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:40 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

There was a MA viewpoint character who had some thoughts along the line of "They have no idea how little we care about the edict", but for strategic reasons they will not do things like that that can be traced back to the MA in a year or a decade or even many decades.
Post by KNick   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:59 pm

KNick
Admiral

Hutch wrote:<<SNIP>>
2. Please, before starting a thread, do take a look at the most recent 2-3 pages to see if there is a thread on the topic you're interested in. We (well, most of us) don't mind rehashing a topic (we might have some new thoughts since the old one, after all), but if we've been on the topic just last week, some of the regulars might be a bit...grumpy.

Anyway, your post is something that we've speculated on quite a bit here (and probably will continue to until the next book is released.

<<SNIP>>.

Hi, Hutch.
Something to keep in mind. At the current time, 2-3 pages is less than 72 hrs. worth of posting. That is, if you check out all the forums. It might be as much as a week if you concentrate on the Honorverse or Safehold. The local server kicked me out Wed and I couldn't get back in until tonight (Fri.). Since it didn't let me log out first, when I logged back in, there where 50 topics with unread posts.

I just went back and checked. Three pages is two weeks worth of topics in the Honorverse. And probably represents thousands of posts. At a couple of hundred per day, it wouldn't take long.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by biochem   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:06 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:

svenhauke. First, welcome to the Forum. Pull up a chair and pour yourself an Old Tillman.

I'll address your points, but if I may offer a couple of suggestions first:

1. Take your time on the typing. It may be, like a couple of other posters here, that English is not your native language, and we're fine with that--but do try to include the Capitals at the Start of the sentence and take a few moments to organize your thoughts in English, it will help a lot in our replying to your questions.

The general consensus (IMHO, others may disagree) is that we don't know. The GA has a lot on its' plate, and while I am sure any treaties they make will include a respect for the Edict, can they enforce it in a Galaxy that needs to learn new rules, since the old one (the SL is always right) is going..going..gone.

Several posters seem to think this is possible, but RFC (that's Runs for Celery, or David Weber himself), tends to think the threat of retaliation (all the destroyed side needs is one ship to hit the enemy planet with wedge up and at .8c to give them a Really Bad Day.

The Alignment has no compunctions about killing, but only if there end purpose is served. Will that happen--only the Mad Wizard Weber (MWW) knows for sure.

There was also a lot of speculation that your occasional egotistical sociopathic nutcase (think Warneke (sp?) at Sidemore) may be delusional enough or nihilistic enough to think they can get away with a EE violation without the SL around, which RFC didn't rule out.
Post by drothgery   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:31 pm

drothgery
Admiral

phillies wrote:As I have said before, but someone else gets to listen, sooner or later it will occur to the ISLN Invincible Solarian League Navy and its bosses that the Eridani Edict is not much of a threat against people with whom you are already at war.
I think RFC has suggested the SLN would likely mutiny if ordered to commit EE violations, and if the SLN actually did commit EE violations it would trigger mass secession movements, most of which would form an alliance to go to war with the League.
Post by Zakharra   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:

I just had a possibly very frightening thought, what if someone did that, but to a star instead of a planet? Load a ship up with as much rad shielding as possible, and heat dump exchangers, with some power boosts to strengthen/enlarge a wedge and head to the nearest enemy star. What would that do? Could the ship survive enough to get close enough its wedge could hit the corona/upper reaches of the star?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote: I just had a possibly very frightening thought, what if someone did that, but to a star ...

You're channeling Lord Skimper, aren't you?

Stars are big and it is highly unlikely than mankind can ever generate the kinds of force that a star would even notice.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote: I just had a possibly very frightening thought, what if someone did that, but to a star ...

You're channeling Lord Skimper, aren't you?

Stars are big and it is highly unlikely than mankind can ever generate the kinds of force that a star would even notice.

Unless you have an Uttu-class planetoid with an Enchanch drive, of course . . . . :P

[walks away, hands in pocket, whistling]

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse