Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 147 guests

Speculating on the GA-MAlign Conflict

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Speculating on the GA-MAlign Conflict
Post by SYED   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

It is possible that the alignment may use the terminii systems to tranport ships secretly.
We know that darius and two other terminii are in the verge, one o the unknown is near the haven region. The 4th one that leads to the twins, all we know that there is no human colony within 40ly.
while using the junction is dangerius, it could be a useful and unique advantage. the more theyb do, better the chance of discovery.
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:It is possible that the alignment may use the terminii systems to tranport ships secretly.
We know that darius and two other terminii are in the verge, one o the unknown is near the haven region. The 4th one that leads to the twins, all we know that there is no human colony within 40ly.
while using the junction is dangerius, it could be a useful and unique advantage. the more theyb do, better the chance of discovery.

Actually, we don't know that any of the termini are in the Verge. And you are mistaken about one of the unknown termini being near the Haven region. Yes, there is a reference that the Alignment had a secret route to the Haven region through the wormhole, but that was a reference to the Felix-Twins-Torch route. Torch is their secret access to the Haven region, which is one big reason why the Alignment is so desperate to get it back.

We have no idea where the other termini are. They could be anywhere within a thousand light-years of the Solarian League. We know that one leads to Darius, one leads to the Twins and then to Torch, and the other two lead places of no immediate interest to the Alignment. But we don't know whether any of those are in the Verge, or beyond the Verge, or the frontier, or even the Protectorates or Shell.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SYED wrote:It is possible that the alignment may use the terminii systems to tranport ships secretly.

Let's look at this a bit. We know that the MAlign headquarters operation has moved from Mesa to either Darius or somewhere else (probably Darius, but maybe not). This move has shifted the entire intelligence gathering and C&C (command and control) operation that previously funneled through Visigoth and Mesa. We also know that the MAlign is cutting Manpower loose the same way it's cutting Mesa loose, which means that their intel and C&C operations are not going through Manpower bases.

Now, if they've relocated to Darius, they have access to the Felix junction, which gives them access to the Mannerheim area plus three other locations, including The Twins.

RFC pointed out that the plans for the Felix junction are to have an Astro Control unit that's staffed by MAlign personnel so that they can handle traffic to and from Darius secretly.

There is also an interesting little comment in The Universe of Honor Harrington that I wonder if anyone else has noticed that could be a major game changer if RFC chooses to use it.
Post by SYED   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

here is a link to that section,
http://baencd.freedoors.org/Books/More% ... _Honor.htm
if you wont tell us the thing that was so interesting, can you at least share which section it was in?
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SYED wrote:here is a link to that section,
if you wont tell us the thing that was so interesting, can you at least share which section it was in?

I like being mysterious. :twisted: However, since the comment was about the Felix junction, you can assume it's about wormholes and junctions. A close reading will turn it up; it's not like I had to get all Kabalistic and use gematria or anything like that.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:58 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

I like being mysterious. :twisted: However, since the comment was about the Felix junction, you can assume it's about wormholes and junctions. A close reading will turn it up; it's not like I had to get all Kabalistic and use gematria or anything like that.

The problem is that there are several things that people have noticed and discussed before about wormholes and junctions based on that text. We don't know which one you are talking about.

I suspect that it is the possibility of direct transit from one terminus to another, without going through the central junction. But it could be the possibility of predicting the destination of a wormhole without traveling through it. I don't think you are talking about the Solarian League's policy of granting a special form of protectorate status for independent systems with wormholes, or the fact that five termini exist within League territory.
Last edited by SWM on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

You are having fun with this, aren't you? I'm envious. I wish that I had come up with it! Now you have me scrounging through my library for the book!

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:
JohnRoth wrote: I like being mysterious. :twisted: However, since the comment was about the Felix junction, you can assume it's about wormholes and junctions. A close reading will turn it up; it's not like I had to get all Kabalistic and use gematria or anything like that.

The problem is that there are several things that people have noticed and discussed before about wormholes and junctions based on that text. We don't know which one you are talking about.

I suspect that it is the possibility of direct transit from one terminus to another, without going through the central junction. But it could be the possibility of predicting the destination of a wormhole without traveling through it. I don't think you are talking about the Solarian League's policy of granting a special form of protectorate status for independent systems with wormholes, or the fact that five termini exist within League territory.

First, Syed, thanks for the link: I had to cut your comment out to appease the Quotation Gods.

Second, I suspect you're right, SWM, in regards to John's message. I was also struck by the words:
In theory, for example, one should be able to go from any terminus of a wormhole junction directly to any other.
That could be a bit of a game-changer, if anyone ever figured out how to do it(Hmmm, I wonder what Dr. Kare and Dr. Wix have been doing...)

Well, eventually John will tell us if we are right or not--or we'll beat it out of him (with Grayson-approved baseball bats, of course... :twisted: )
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Arol   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Arol
Captain of the List

Am posting the following here as it is; with a bit of latitude, a part of the MAN-GA conflict, and by reading other threads, speculation on future events is encouraged.
Just finished ART, with a Sollie attack to take out Beowulf before Manticore can react is being contemplated.
Now if my remembrance of the timeline is correct; sometime it’s hard to be clear on who’s where when, Beowulf should have Moriaty on line as well as the MDM assembly line up and running
Ergo, the Sollie fleet is toast!
But it might have a stinger in its tail as it withdraws! A Alignment nano infected dupe at the right place and time activates and fires a KEW strike at the planet.
A win-win scenario seen from an Alignments viewpoint.
If successful, a poke in the eye of their hated enemy Beowulf, and if a Sollie ship-of-war is seen violating the  Epsilon Eridani Edict it can only increase dissatisfaction within the League.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:21 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Arol wrote:Am posting the following here as it is; with a bit of latitude, a part of the MAN-GA conflict, and by reading other threads, speculation on future events is encouraged.
Just finished ART, with a Sollie attack to take out Beowulf before Manticore can react is being contemplated.
Now if my remembrance of the timeline is correct; sometime it’s hard to be clear on who’s where when, Beowulf should have Moriaty on line as well as the MDM assembly line up and running
Ergo, the Sollie fleet is toast!
But it might have a stinger in its tail as it withdraws! A Alignment nano infected dupe at the right place and time activates and fires a KEW strike at the planet.
A win-win scenario seen from an Alignments viewpoint.
If successful, a poke in the eye of their hated enemy Beowulf, and if a Sollie ship-of-war is seen violating the  Epsilon Eridani Edict it can only increase dissatisfaction within the League.

We do think the assembly lines will be up and running, but it is not clear that Moriarty will be up and running in Beowulf. However, I think everyone who has commented here is confident that the attacking League fleet loses badly in the confrontation. There has been speculation on how it would happen, in particular whether Manticore would need to jump in from the Wormhole to help.

The idea that the Alignment might arrange an apparent Edict violation has been suggested several times, and there are people who believe it will happen or that it might be tried. Others have argued that the Alignment doesn't want to destroy Beowulf, they want to discredit Beowulf and their policy. And a number of people, including David, have pointed out that the Alignment is a band of bloodthirsty mass-murderers (though they do employ such from time to time).

Return to Honorverse