Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests

Manticore Plague Years

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Manticore Plague Years
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:42 pm

namelessfly

They understood the need to procreate rather than just fornicate.

Of course procreation can be more fun than fornication.

Weird Harold wrote:
hanuman wrote:How many colonists were there by the time the Plague started, and how many of them died?

There's no textev, but the plague hit two generations (40 years) after landing and killed 60% of whatever the population expanded to from the original 50,000 (including 13,000 minors)

Elizabeth I, second monarch of Manticore, is said to have "had a large vigorous family," suggesting that the colonists ran to typical frontier families of 5-10 kids. A very rough guess would be a population of 250,000 to 500,000. Almost definitely under a million.
Post by hanuman   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:They understood the need to procreate rather than just fornicate.

And here I thought they were the same... :grin:
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:19 pm

namelessfly

hanuman wrote:
namelessfly wrote:They understood the need to procreate rather than just fornicate.

You apparently never experienced intentionally making new life. It adds an emotional and spiritual component that transcends the physical act.
Post by crewdude48   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

hanuman wrote:

Procreation might be more fun, but it takes a lot more work. Like almost twenty years more work.
Post by hanuman   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:
hanuman wrote:

You apparently never experienced intentionally making new life. It adds an emotional and spiritual component that transcends the physical act.

Namelessfly, that was meant as a bit of a send-up, so relax.

I am a father myself, if it helps. I was nineteen years old when a couple of dear lesbian friends of mine asked my help to conceive. Their twin sons and I are very close; they know I'm their biological father. Fathering their boys was probably the greatest achievement of my life.

Return to Honorverse