Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 166 guests

Why did it take so long to deal with Silesia?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why did it take so long to deal with Silesia?
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:43 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Excuse me, but where the hell did I say anything of the sort? To the best of my knowledge I have NEVER said ANYWHERE that interstellar shipping is cheaper than in-system shipping. If I have, then I was completely in error and I would very much like to see the text in which I said it! What I have said (repeatedly) is that aside from opportunity cost lost to time spent in transit and the costs of running the ship for a longer period between destinations (which are mainly personnel related, which helps to explain the desire for small crews on Manty vessels), interstellar shipping is no more expensive than in-system shipping. There are, obviously, greater start up costs, since the sublight in-system trader doesn't need alpha nodes or a hyper generator, but my preceding statement is essentially correct.

Now, where did I say anything to the contrary, please?

The closest I can remember is a bit in More Than Honor which compared interstellar shipping to intraplanetary shipping.
More Than Honor: The Universe of Honor Harrington wrote:Transport of interplanetary or interstellar cargoes is actually cheaper than surface or atmospheric transportation (even with countergrav transporters), though even at 1,200 c (the speed of an average bulk carrier) hauling a cargo 300 light-years takes 2.4 months. It is thus possible to transport even such bulk items as raw ore or food stuffs profitably over interstellar distances.
But quote that doesn't say anything about in-system shipping, which mechanically is very similar to intersteller shipping except that the ship doesn't have to go as far and needn't be equipped with alpha nodes or a hyper generator.

Although unless you assume that atmospheric counter grav shipping is less point to point (for example needs to make a lot of stops to gather and/or distributed the cargo) I'm not sure how a interstellar cargo can be transported cheaper than that same cargo across the face of a planet. (Since you could use the exact same countergrav cargo shuttles to move it around as you'd use to lift it to the freighter)

Actually, it does mention in-system shipping. Read it again. It is comparing "interplanetary and interstellar" shipping to "surface or atmospheric" shipping. Interplanetary means in-system. The conclusion is that interplanetary is comparable to interstellar and both are cheaper than moving things around on a planet. Exactly as RFC posted.

Note that the text doesn't discuss costs of moving things from planet to orbit or back, though. But that is also described elsewhere as fairly cheap, due to contragrav.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But quote that doesn't say anything about in-system shipping, which mechanically is very similar to intersteller shipping except that the ship doesn't have to go as far and needn't be equipped with alpha nodes or a hyper generator.

Although unless you assume that atmospheric counter grav shipping is less point to point (for example needs to make a lot of stops to gather and/or distributed the cargo) I'm not sure how a interstellar cargo can be transported cheaper than that same cargo across the face of a planet. (Since you could use the exact same countergrav cargo shuttles to move it around as you'd use to lift it to the freighter)

Actually, it does mention in-system shipping. Read it again. It is comparing "interplanetary and interstellar" shipping to "surface or atmospheric" shipping. Interplanetary means in-system. The conclusion is that interplanetary is comparable to interstellar and both are cheaper than moving things around on a planet. Exactly as RFC posted.

Note that the text doesn't discuss costs of moving things from planet to orbit or back, though. But that is also described elsewhere as fairly cheap, due to contragrav.

Oops, you're right. I should have said that that quote didn't directly compare the costs of "interplanetary and interstellar" shipping. It certainly mentioned both.

(I went back and stuck an "[edit]" is my post to correct that)
Post by J6P   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:Actually, it does mention in-system shipping. Read it again. It is comparing "interplanetary and interstellar" shipping to "surface or atmospheric" shipping. Interplanetary means in-system. The conclusion is that interplanetary is comparable to interstellar and both are cheaper than moving things around on a planet. Exactly as RFC posted.

Cost of moving via counter grav to orbit must be expensive, otherwise there is no way in this universe, or the HV universe, for planetary shipping to be MORE expensive than interstellar shipping which by DEFINITION, must transport bulk food/planetary goods UP OFF a planet to a ship and then to its destination. Bulk ores, harvested from asteroids are an entirely different matter as they eliminate this step.

If by definition counter grav into orbit is CHEAP, then by same definition, planetary shipping will be cheaper than interstellar as there will be no transfer or time consumed paying 3rd parties. Use counter grav to go straight up out of the atmosphere and move to your destination and reenter.

It is impossible to have interstellar shipping cheaper than planetary food shipping when it is the exact same process, but with more steps/manhours equipment involved.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

J6P wrote:It is impossible to have interstellar shipping cheaper than planetary food shipping when it is the exact same process, but with more steps/manhours equipment involved.

You're ignoring the cost at origin vs the cost at destination. AKA "Why does made in America cost so damn much."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Zakharra   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

J6P wrote:
SWM wrote:Actually, it does mention in-system shipping. Read it again. It is comparing "interplanetary and interstellar" shipping to "surface or atmospheric" shipping. Interplanetary means in-system. The conclusion is that interplanetary is comparable to interstellar and both are cheaper than moving things around on a planet. Exactly as RFC posted.

Cost of moving via counter grav to orbit must be expensive, otherwise there is no way in this universe, or the HV universe, for planetary shipping to be MORE expensive than interstellar shipping which by DEFINITION, must transport bulk food/planetary goods UP OFF a planet to a ship and then to its destination. Bulk ores, harvested from asteroids are an entirely different matter as they eliminate this step.

If by definition counter grav into orbit is CHEAP, then by same definition, planetary shipping will be cheaper than interstellar as there will be no transfer or time consumed paying 3rd parties. Use counter grav to go straight up out of the atmosphere and move to your destination and reenter.

It is impossible to have interstellar shipping cheaper than planetary food shipping when it is the exact same process, but with more steps/manhours equipment involved.

Someone else can ship in so many [item] that it's cheaper for people to buy it than to have a local firm make it.
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

J6P wrote:

You're determined to push this point, aren't you?

There's such a thing as economies of scale. You are familiar with the term, I trust? It is far cheaper, per ton of cargo, to ship it by rail than it is to ship it by truck. It is also far more flexible to distribute cargo by truck than it is to build a railroad siding to every warehouse door in every town in every state of the US. Therefore, trucks are used for that stage of the process while trains (or ships, depending on what has to be crossed) are used to transport between distribution nodes.

Interplanetary and interstellar freighters are huge. They routinely transport cargo in quantities no conceivable point-to-point delivery on a single planet are going to require. Therefore, they can practice the same economies of scale railroads can practice vis-à-vis trucking lines. It therefor costs less to transport the same tonnages because the parameters are totally different.

I have never said one damned word about boosting million-ton orbital transports and then dropping them back to the planetary surface again, because that's not how planetary cargoes are transported. You are either willfully misunderstanding to create straw men or else totally missing the difference between the transportation environments.

You clearly have your own view about how things "ought" to be done. Please do me the courtesy of assuming that I know the operating parameters within the Honorverse. They may be stupid, but they are my own, and they are the way the books work now, have worked, and will work hereafter.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

J6P wrote:Cost of moving via counter grav to orbit must be expensive, otherwise there is no way in this universe, or the HV universe, for planetary shipping to be MORE expensive than interstellar shipping which by DEFINITION, must transport bulk food/planetary goods UP OFF a planet to a ship and then to its destination. Bulk ores, harvested from asteroids are an entirely different matter as they eliminate this step.

I think that passage in MtH (and what RFC has been saying; though it's possibly I misunderstood) is that the interstellar freighter portion of a interstellar cargo shipment is cheaper than the planetside portion.

If the cost of intersteller transport was only calculated as spaceport to spaceport then it could easily be cheaper than the planetary shipping on either end; which would normally be required to consolidate the cargo at the origin spaceport and then distributed it out from the destination spaceport.

So if, for example, you tracked the total cost of delivering a steak of Montana beef from Montana to a table at a restaurant in Landing the shipment from the slaughterhouse on Montana to the port is more than the tranport cost from that port to the port on Manticore. And then the cost to move that steak from the port to the resteraunt kitchen is again more than the freighter cost.

If my understanding is right then it follows that the total cost of moving that steak from Montana to Manticore (if you include the ground distribution on both ends) is more than moving it from one point on Montana to another; but not by much. Heck that scenario is true on earth now. Moving cargo to and from the seaports is usually more than the cost to stick it on a ship and sail it halfway round the world.
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

J6P wrote:

You didn't read the text, did you? It specifically said that interstellar shipping (that is, the simple cost of getting a load from this star to that star, and probably not counting the cost of going to and from the surface) is cheaper than the cost of shipping the same thing across a planet through the atmosphere or on the surface. It was not comparing to shipping to orbit and back down somewhere else; it was comparing specifically to shipping without leaving the surface or atmosphere.

That text was not saying that shipping across a planet had to be done without leaving the surface or atmosphere, either; it was just using that as something we are familiar with to compare to the cost of interstellar shipping.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by J6P   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:55 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Interplanetary and interstellar freighters are huge. They routinely transport cargo in quantities no conceivable point-to-point delivery on a single planet are going to require. Therefore, they can practice the same economies of scale railroads can practice vis-à-vis trucking lines. It therefor costs less to transport the same tonnages because the parameters are totally different.

Did I mention anything about local distribution? No. There is local distribution on every planet and has no bearing on the cost as the cost of distribution is intrinsically fixed. Besides, local distribution costs in Honorverse would be very low as it would appear, from my reading of your books, most planets have Giant centralized cities, making Tokyo/Shanghai look down right vacuous.

Grain/Meat, goes from giant storage site(where it is grown/butchered) to slightly less giant storage site positioned Inside, or on the outside of a city. Around these storage sites are most of your local food processors taking said BULK grain/meat and creating finished goods that THEN and only THEN get distributed locally for hundreds of miles “locally” at times.

How many Mtons of grain do you think is moved from the fields of E. Washington to Port of Longview? 160Million bushels of wheat, corn, and soybeans annually or roughly 5 Mtons. One bushel is 60lbs. 37 Bushels to the ton roughly. Note this is the amount exported, not amount grown which is several times this amount. The states of Montana/Kansas/Nebraska/Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, South Dakota make the Pacific Northwest look like minnows. I only used my local knowledge as a reference to save time. If you wish to look up the other info feel free.

Where/how does this grain move? In PNW case, Truck to major storage usually owned by the largest local grower or a COOP with their giant storage facility who then sell it, to barge or to rail, to ship carrying in excess of 100,000 tons, to the Orient where it then sits in giant city storage sites with multi millions of bushels of storage. Note, I was being very generous only stating 100,000 tons of grain per bulk carrier. If they could build larger ships they would, and they are trying as they keep getting larger. Currently limited by the quality of the steel. If they could ship a couple Mtons of grain at once, they would. It would be cheaper.

How many Mtons of grain goes from Kansas to NewYork and its city storage facility? Well, 1.5lb of grain per person per day is a short estimate. NY has 14Million. So, roughly 20Million lbs a day, or 20,000tons/day. Yearly, NY by itself needs crudely 7M tons/year. If they could use a more efficient mode of transportation than train or barge/ship(100,000tons) they would.

How large is Mendal/Grendal on Beowulf? Much larger than New York is my read on your books. Cities like these seem commonplace in the HV. Are there smaller cities? Sure, but the way I read your books is that the vast majority of populations are in mega cities like NY, LA, Beijing, Tokyo, Mexico City, etc. Just like today, I assume they will have a centralized grain storage site with the food processors right next to it as this is the most efficient method for distribution of food.

runsforcelery wrote:I have never said one damned word about boosting million-ton orbital transports and then dropping them back to the planetary surface again, because that's not how planetary cargoes are transported. You are either willfully misunderstanding to create straw men or else totally missing the difference between the transportation environments.

You just got done stating, counter grav of Mega tons of grain from a farm planet to LEO orbit where it is then transferred to ~8M ton freighters is common place and cheap to do. Right?

You also just got done saying, via More than Honor quote, that moving Mtons of grain down on the planet to a local food processing distribution network is more expensive than moving said grain, up to a 8Mton ship(25% of which is ship mass in my guestimate, or are they actually transporting this tonnage?), transport it, 100LY, and then dropping it down onto yet a different planet at Mtons at a time. Pathetic little 1000 ton loads are not going to get the job done efficiently. Unless you are going to have thousands of shuttle flights every day of every year distributing, "just enough" for everyone's daily meal. Its as sure shooting that the grain storage sites will be on planet and not in space. One stray comet, and oops, you guys are now starving till the next crop...

A simple calculation as to how many Mtons of grain a city like New York needs will show it needs Mtons of grain per year. I did this previously. Efficiency dictates instead of shipping 100,000 tons of grain at a time(assuming your city is on the water, most are not, as is done today, the more efficient method would be to ship Mtons of grain at a time. Or exactly what you are ALREADY proposing to do on an interstellar basis!

I just got done in my previous post showing via simple local knowledge of how much grain is grown at a medium sized growing site, Washington, how if these growing sites could transport 5M tons of grain at a time they would as major cities NEED this much grain on a yearly basis. If you wish to state that these cities would rather only receive grain quarterly, I could go with this. Even then NY, on a quarterly basis will need over 1.5M tons of grain by itself.

Either Moving Mtons of grain to LEO orbit is cheap or it is not. If it is cheap, then moving an Mton of grain to LEO and then dropping it down to a city for its quarterly grain shipment is just as efficient and cheap as moving said Mton of grain to a Hyper capable ship.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:46 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

I read your entire post and I still have no idea what your point is. Please explain.

J6P wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Interplanetary and interstellar freighters are huge. They routinely transport cargo in quantities no conceivable point-to-point delivery on a single planet are going to require. Therefore, they can practice the same economies of scale railroads can practice vis-à-vis trucking lines. It therefor costs less to transport the same tonnages because the parameters are totally different.

Did I mention anything about local distribution? No. There is local distribution on every planet and has no bearing on the cost as the cost of distribution is intrinsically fixed. Besides, local distribution costs in Honorverse would be very low as it would appear, from my reading of your books, most planets have Giant centralized cities, making Tokyo/Shanghai look down right vacuous.

Grain/Meat, goes from giant storage site(where it is grown/butchered) to slightly less giant storage site positioned Inside, or on the outside of a city. Around these storage sites are most of your local food processors taking said BULK grain/meat and creating finished goods that THEN and only THEN get distributed locally for hundreds of miles “locally” at times.

How many Mtons of grain do you think is moved from the fields of E. Washington to Port of Longview? 160Million bushels of wheat, corn, and soybeans annually or roughly 5 Mtons. One bushel is 60lbs. 37 Bushels to the ton roughly. Note this is the amount exported, not amount grown which is several times this amount. The states of Montana/Kansas/Nebraska/Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, South Dakota make the Pacific Northwest look like minnows. I only used my local knowledge as a reference to save time. If you wish to look up the other info feel free.

Where/how does this grain move? In PNW case, Truck to major storage usually owned by the largest local grower or a COOP with their giant storage facility who then sell it, to barge or to rail, to ship carrying in excess of 100,000 tons, to the Orient where it then sits in giant city storage sites with multi millions of bushels of storage. Note, I was being very generous only stating 100,000 tons of grain per bulk carrier. If they could build larger ships they would, and they are trying as they keep getting larger. Currently limited by the quality of the steel. If they could ship a couple Mtons of grain at once, they would. It would be cheaper.

How many Mtons of grain goes from Kansas to NewYork and its city storage facility? Well, 1.5lb of grain per person per day is a short estimate. NY has 14Million. So, roughly 20Million lbs a day, or 20,000tons/day. Yearly, NY by itself needs crudely 7M tons/year. If they could use a more efficient mode of transportation than train or barge/ship(100,000tons) they would.

How large is Mendal/Grendal on Beowulf? Much larger than New York is my read on your books. Cities like these seem commonplace in the HV. Are there smaller cities? Sure, but the way I read your books is that the vast majority of populations are in mega cities like NY, LA, Beijing, Tokyo, Mexico City, etc. Just like today, I assume they will have a centralized grain storage site with the food processors right next to it as this is the most efficient method for distribution of food.

runsforcelery wrote:I have never said one damned word about boosting million-ton orbital transports and then dropping them back to the planetary surface again, because that's not how planetary cargoes are transported. You are either willfully misunderstanding to create straw men or else totally missing the difference between the transportation environments.

You just got done stating, counter grav of Mega tons of grain from a farm planet to LEO orbit where it is then transferred to ~8M ton freighters is common place and cheap to do. Right?

You also just got done saying, via More than Honor quote, that moving Mtons of grain down on the planet to a local food processing distribution network is more expensive than moving said grain, up to a 8Mton ship(25% of which is ship mass in my guestimate, or are they actually transporting this tonnage?), transport it, 100LY, and then dropping it down onto yet a different planet at Mtons at a time. Pathetic little 1000 ton loads are not going to get the job done efficiently. Unless you are going to have thousands of shuttle flights every day of every year distributing, "just enough" for everyone's daily meal. Its as sure shooting that the grain storage sites will be on planet and not in space. One stray comet, and oops, you guys are now starving till the next crop...

A simple calculation as to how many Mtons of grain a city like New York needs will show it needs Mtons of grain per year. I did this previously. Efficiency dictates instead of shipping 100,000 tons of grain at a time(assuming your city is on the water, most are not, as is done today, the more efficient method would be to ship Mtons of grain at a time. Or exactly what you are ALREADY proposing to do on an interstellar basis!

I just got done in my previous post showing via simple local knowledge of how much grain is grown at a medium sized growing site, Washington, how if these growing sites could transport 5M tons of grain at a time they would as major cities NEED this much grain on a yearly basis. If you wish to state that these cities would rather only receive grain quarterly, I could go with this. Even then NY, on a quarterly basis will need over 1.5M tons of grain by itself.

Either Moving Mtons of grain to LEO orbit is cheap or it is not. If it is cheap, then moving an Mton of grain to LEO and then dropping it down to a city for its quarterly grain shipment is just as efficient and cheap as moving said Mton of grain to a Hyper capable ship.

Return to Honorverse