Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Why did it take so long to deal with Silesia?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why did it take so long to deal with Silesia?
Post by hanuman   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

[quote="hvb"
And I have to wonder: you ain't allowed to run a ship-sized wedge close to a station, could it be it is also illegal to run one just outside the atmosphere; in which case the much more fuel-inefficient thrusters would need be used to shift your orbit.
[/quote]

Hvb, there is no scientific reason why an impeller-driven ship can't operate close to a planet. As far as I understand things, the reason why Manticore in particular bans impeller-driven ships from operating closer than a certain distance to a planet is because of the tremendous damage such a ship could cause should it enter a planet's atmosphere.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Same reason as we have tugs for large ships in ports. :) Prevents accidents that coudl cause major problems (albeit orders of magnitude bigger in the honorverse.....)

hanuman wrote:[quote="hvb"
And I have to wonder: you ain't allowed to run a ship-sized wedge close to a station, could it be it is also illegal to run one just outside the atmosphere; in which case the much more fuel-inefficient thrusters would need be used to shift your orbit.

Hvb, there is no scientific reason why an impeller-driven ship can't operate close to a planet. As far as I understand things, the reason why Manticore in particular bans impeller-driven ships from operating closer than a certain distance to a planet is because of the tremendous damage such a ship could cause should it enter a planet's atmosphere.[/quote]
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by hvb   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Precisely.

That's why I wrote "ain't allowed" & "illegal". It's not that you cannot do it, it's that safety laws are in place to prevent accidents that can cause, just as a for instance, parts of Vulcan to fall on Yawata. :shock:

A couple Megaton of maintenance-challenged 'lorry' with a failing countergrav or thruster deorbiting into Landing's financial sector would be something the law would be designed to prevent.

Spacekiwi wrote:Same reason as we have tugs for large ships in ports. :) Prevents accidents that coudl cause major problems (albeit orders of magnitude bigger in the honorverse.....)

hanuman wrote:[quote="hvb"

Hvb, there is no scientific reason why an impeller-driven ship can't operate close to a planet. As far as I understand things, the reason why Manticore in particular bans impeller-driven ships from operating closer than a certain distance to a planet is because of the tremendous damage such a ship could cause should it enter a planet's atmosphere.
[/quote]
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

wastedfly wrote:
kzt wrote:What 1st world nations have absolutely no ship building industry and a sea coast?. Please name one that hasn't built a ship larger than 150 tons in the last 5 years.

Oh how droll. Nice placement. 150 tons. A tug boat? A freaking car ferry is your standard? A very small car ferry at that?

Common man. Drop the straw man routine. Set reality at a minimum of 10,000 tons. 1000 tons at a minimum!

Well, the UK doesn't build anything. They are are a 1st rate nation. Last 5 years they built a couple car feeries, a singular nuclear submarine, and a couple of destroyers. Last I checked they had a nice LONG coast line.

Could they build transports? No. No iron ore. No coal. No iron smelters capable of producing the quantity of steel required. Do they have the yards for modern sized ships? No. They have a couple naval yards and zilch else.

Does France build anything? No.
Does the USA build anything? No. Do we have the infrastructure to build any transports? No. Well maybe if one converts some of the oil platform building sites in Texas. Most of these buggers are bought elsewhere and towed in. I suppose you could go the retentive anal route and state we could convert all naval yards to civilian buildinng purposes. :roll:

Does Germany build anything? No
Does Greece build anything? No
Does Holland build anything? No

Do all of these nations have large merchant marines? Yes.

None of them have built a single freighter in 30 years. Any building yards/iron works/slips they do have are for SMALL freighters that are obsolescent along with the machinery for building said freighters.

So, sure, they could slowly, build some small, obsolete, inefficient ships. Or they could build completely new yards, machinery, dry docks that actually fit a modern world, and create/copy a modern design and eventually build a competent freighter.

This isn't 1940 kzt. A smidgeon of reality eh?

The US builds ships, big ones. Your modern SuperCarrier is really quite large. Google the USS Gerald Ford was launched in 2013. There are shipyards in the South and on the East Coat that routinely build deepwater (and really big) fishing ships, drydocks capable to taking 150' Coast Guard Cutters and other stuff. And while I haven't gone back and looked for the names of the yards or the dispacement of the ships, I did the documentation review on financing some of this kind of stuff (not the USS FORD, my that would have been fun). One ship is long-lining off Saipan, a drydock is sitting in the Caribbean, etc. The US also builds nuclear submarines and a range of other Naval ships.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Having now finally worked through the rest of this thread:

THANK YOU DAVID

Return to Honorverse