Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 55 guests

Crew Complement by class range?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Crew Complement by class range?
Post by Peregryn46   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Peregryn46
Ensign

I do apologize if this was asked/answered elsewhere but the information was left out of the companion.

Approximately how many crew would be aboard naval ships of a given class?

How many at average per LAC, Destroyer LC, HC, BC ect?

to make this simpler numbers should be before the conversion post Buttercup to smaller crews and greater automation.
Re: Crew Complement by class range?
Post by Duckk   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

IIRC:

LAC (Alliance pre-Shrike): 30-50
LAC (Alliance post-Shrike): 10
DD: 300
CL: 500
CA: 1000
BC: 2000
DN: 4500
SD: 5000
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Peregryn46   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Peregryn46
Ensign

Nice thumbnail brief :D .

I appreciate your taking the time to answer
Post by Vince   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Peregryn46 wrote:Nice thumbnail brief :D .

I appreciate your taking the time to answer

I'm pretty sure that the numbers for all the ship types (other than the LACs which are specified) are the older, higher manning numbers. The GSN was the first to implement much higher levels of automation (which drastically reduced personnel requirements) in warship design, followed by the RMN.

For an example, a new RMN Rolland class destroyer has only 70 personnel embarked (without any flag officers and staff) and none of them are Marines, IIRC.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by drothgery   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:02 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Vince wrote:I'm pretty sure that the numbers for all the ship types (other than the LACs which are specified) are the older, higher manning numbers. The GSN was the first to implement much higher levels of automation (which drastically reduced personnel requirements) in warship design, followed by the RMN.

For an example, a new RMN Rolland class destroyer has only 70 personnel embarked (without any flag officers and staff) and none of them are Marines, IIRC.

Just because 'fly puts two Ls in Rolland all the time is no reason for anyone else to ...

But yeah, a Sag-C is under 400, a Nike is ~750, and I think an Invictus is under 1500, and at least a Manty CLAC is ~800 + the LAC crews.
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:07 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Of course the numbers are the older numbers--that's exactly what the original poster asked for.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Peregryn46   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Peregryn46
Ensign

SWM wrote:Of course the numbers are the older numbers--that's exactly what the original poster asked for.

yes, I did ask for the older numbers.

to make this simpler numbers should be before the conversion post Buttercup to smaller crews and greater automation.
and Duckk did a nice job of presenting the numbers in a concise form.
Post by munroburton   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Solly crews tend to be much heavier too. Their SDs, whose individual mass might qualify for reclassification as DNs amongst the Haven Sector navies, have more than six thousand each. I can't recall much about their lighter units, but I vaguely remember Roszak taking advantage of the automation technologies as part of the deception surrounding the future Mayan Navy.

If home office assigns him old-style crew quantities for each ship he's got official authorisation to build and he's making maximum use of that tech, Roszak is potentially capable of manning three or four times what the League thinks he's got.
Post by Vince   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:Solly crews tend to be much heavier too. Their SDs, whose individual mass might qualify for reclassification as DNs amongst the Haven Sector navies, have more than six thousand each. I can't recall much about their lighter units, but I vaguely remember Roszak taking advantage of the automation technologies as part of the deception surrounding the future Mayan Navy.

If home office assigns him old-style crew quantities for each ship he's got official authorisation to build and he's making maximum use of that tech, Roszak is potentially capable of manning three or four times what the League thinks he's got.

IIRC, when the mandarins get word about Byng's demise at New Tuscany (one SLN Nevada class BC), one of them mentions that more than 3000 were killed in the incident.

For comparison, contrast that number with the largest RMN BC before automation and the BCP. The RMN Reliant class BCs had a complement of 2105 including Marines. (From The Short Victorious War, Honor Harrington's Navy.)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:IIRC, when the mandarins get word about Byng's demise at New Tuscany (one SLN Nevada class BC), one of them mentions that more than 3000 were killed in the incident.

For comparison, contrast that number with the largest RMN BC before automation and the BCP. The RMN Reliant class BCs had a complement of 2105 including Marines. (From The Short Victorious War, Honor Harrington's Navy.)

The SLNS Jean Bart was Asdm Byng's flagship, so the casualty numbers would include his flag staff; the manning levels would be fairly close without the additional flag personnel.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse