Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 135 guests

Crew Complement by class range?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Crew Complement by class range?
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Hmm - just had the thought.

Couldn't older CLACs be converted pretty easily to a Fleet Marine Force ship able to hold easily with a deployed TF? I mean I know there is probably a dedicated battle transport in the works, and the Kammerling cruisers, but a few on-hand, quick-convert, regimental- lift haulers wouldn't hurt the posture, especially now.

It would be nice to see the old Minotaur again.

dreamrider

I think they have plenty of ships for marine deployment, and don't need these converted ships.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Vince   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Couldn't older CLACs be converted pretty easily to a Fleet Marine Force ship able to hold easily with a deployed TF? I mean I know there is probably a dedicated battle transport in the works, and the Kammerling cruisers, but a few on-hand, quick-convert, regimental- lift haulers wouldn't hurt the posture, especially now.

dreamrider

I think it has already been done on an ad-hoc basis. When Terekhov left Spindle to visit Mobius in Shadow of Freedom, he was given a CLAC that not only carried its LAC wing, but was specifically mentioned by Admiral Gold Peak to "have plenty life-support to carry a battalion or so of Marines, as well. That should give you a ground combat component if you need one. I'm hoping you won't, but better safe than sorry."
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:40 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:

dreamrider

I think it has already been done on an ad-hoc basis. When Terekhov left Spindle to visit Mobius in Shadow of Freedom, he was given a CLAC that not only carried its LAC wing, but was specifically mentioned by Admiral Gold Peak to "have plenty life-support to carry a battalion or so of Marines, as well. That should give you a ground combat component if you need one. I'm hoping you won't, but better safe than sorry."

That's not a conversion--that's simply the already-existing capability of the design. That's one of the categories of transport I was including when I said they already had plenty of marine transport available and don't need conversions.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

dreamrider

The "old" Minotaur....which was first commissioned in PD 1912 (per House of Steel) and is only 10 years old....things change rapidly these days in the Honorverse... ;) :).

For the record, according to HoS, 18 "Minnies" were commissioned, along with 6 that were purchased by Grayson and commissioned in 1914. The Hydras' (94+ prior to1st Manticore) and the Covingtons (30+) came around in 1914-1915, so they are only 7-8 years old.

Sorry, just feeling as old as Khumalo's Hercules today...press on.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:

dreamrider

The "old" Minotaur....which was first commissioned in PD 1912 (per House of Steel) and is only 10 years old....things change rapidly these days in the Honorverse... ;) :).

For the record, according to HoS, 18 "Minnies" were commissioned, along with 6 that were purchased by Grayson and commissioned in 1914. The Hydras' (94+ prior to1st Manticore) and the Covingtons (30+) came around in 1914-1915, so they are only 7-8 years old.

Sorry, just feeling as old as Khumalo's Hercules today...press on.

But didn't you know? I have begun a subscription campaign around the Talbott Quadrant to support the Hercules being completely overhauled to modern standards, with upgraded fire control and Mk 16 capable launchers. It will be the first proof-of-concept project at the new 'Renaissance' Yards. <grin>

Then they will start on the Medusa II class Apollo SD(P) "Canada"...er...I mean "Talbott".

dreamrider
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

This may be my ignorance showing, but is there any reason to believe HMS Minotaur isn't still in Fleet service as a CLAC?
Post by Vince   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:This may be my ignorance showing, but is there any reason to believe HMS Minotaur isn't still in Fleet service as a CLAC?

IIRC, I've never come across anything that specifically said it was scrapped, mothballed or destroyed in combat.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by saber964   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 pm

saber964
Admiral

Vince wrote:

dreamrider

Terekov's Task Group was carring 2 battalions, 1 batt abord the CLAC and each of his CA's carried a company which equals a battalion.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
But didn't you know? I have begun a subscription campaign around the Talbott Quadrant to support the Hercules being completely overhauled to modern standards, with upgraded fire control and Mk 16 capable launchers. It will be the first proof-of-concept project at the new 'Renaissance' Yards. <grin>

Then they will start on the Medusa II class Apollo SD(P) "Canada"...er...I mean "Talbott".

dreamrider

Silesia not Talbott.
Post by drothgery   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:40 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Vince wrote:
Dafmeister wrote:This may be my ignorance showing, but is there any reason to believe HMS Minotaur isn't still in Fleet service as a CLAC?

IIRC, I've never come across anything that specifically said it was scrapped, mothballed or destroyed in combat.

I mean, its original LAC wing was mostly destroyed in combat (because sacrificing LACs to take out battleships is obviously a good idea), but Minnie itself presumably just got a new LAC wing. The differences between the Minotaur-class and the Hydra class are not all that major, certainly not enough to retire the Minotaurs any time soon.

Return to Honorverse