Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 56 guests

Size of Treecats

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Size of Treecats
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

boballab wrote:IIRC RFC has stated before that he owned 2 Maine Coon cats and they were the inspiration for the Treecats so logically the average size of a Maine Coon is what you would expect for a Treecat. So lets compare the two's sizes:
Maine Coon:
Maine Coons are the largest breed of domestic cat. Males weigh from 15 to 25 lb (6.8 to 11.3 kg) with females weighing from 10 to 15 lb (4.5 to 6.8 kg).[18] The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 48 in (120 cm), including the tail, which can reach a length of 14 in (36 cm)[19] and is long, tapering, and heavily furred, almost resembling a raccoon's tail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon ... escription

Average overall length is 120 cm with tail, 84 cm without.

Climb's Quickly:
Stephanie watched the intruder vanish with a sense of wonder which only grew as the creature disappeared. It was small, she thought—no more than sixty or seventy centimeters long, though its tail would probably double its body length.

ABF Chapter 4

Nimitz:
"'Bleek' yourself," she said, rubbing the ridge of its muzzle. The green eyes blinked, and four of the treecat's six limbs reached out to grip her wrist in feather-gentle hand-paws. She chuckled again, pulling back to initiate a playful tussle, and the treecat uncoiled to its full sixty-five centimeters (discounting its tail) and buried its true-feet in her midriff with the deep, buzzing hum of its purr.

OBS Chapter 1

Yes I know it is a small sample size but it looks as if you can use the length, with tail, of a fully grown Maine Coon as a good approximation of the length of a Treecat including tail. From those samples the length of a Treecat, minus tail, is slightly less than a Maine Coon, minus tail. What you would find is that a treecat of the same length as a Maine Coon can also be taller but also most likely to be more muscular.

Actually, no. My "gray boys" were gray tabbies . . . whose father had enough bobcat in his DNA that he still had the mask and the tufted ears. Leonardo was the brother with an extra toe on each foot (and feet the size of teacups, I swear) and Bombur (so named because he was born in the middle of a nap attack and promptly went back to sleep) was slightly the larger and shaped like a football, American style. 'Nardo was the socializer of the pair, who would demand petting and gently sink his claws into your sleeve (or the back of your hand) to move your fingers to a place where they could do their duty. Bombur was the shy one, who disappeared under chairs as soon as someone he didn't know walked into the room. They were both big cats (Bombur's top weight was 23.5 pounds [10.7 kg]; 'Nardo's was 22 and a smidgeon [about 10 kg], but he was the "long, rangy" one of the pair), and Nimitz has 'Nardo's personality and Bombur's brain, in a lot of ways.

When I set the body weight for Nimitz originally, I did a quick and dirty estimate in my brain based on the fact that treecats have a (relatively) longer and narrower body form than Terran cats (think weasel or ferret crossed with bobcat) and came up with 9.5 kilos. If I were doing the same calculation today, I'd probably push that closer to 11 kg because I'd forgotten or failed to take into consideration that he'd most likely have been "denser" on a volume-for-volume basis because of the heavier gravity in which he evolved.

That help?

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kbus888   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/07/09=
Yup, that helps

Thanks

The most intelligent cat I ever owned was a grey mix female.

The damn thing used to follow my kids to the school bus stop most mornings.

"Cherie`was her name and she was an ordinary looking animal except she was polydactyl -- 2 extra toes on each of her four paws.

We had her for 8 years until someone in our neighbourhood poisoned her.

That was the only time I cried for the loss of a pet.

R

runsforcelery wrote:

Stephanie watched the intruder vanish with a sense of wonder which only grew as the creature disappeared. It was small, she thought—no more than sixty or seventy centimeters long, though its tail would probably double its body length.

ABF Chapter 4

Nimitz:
"'Bleek' yourself," she said, rubbing the ridge of its muzzle. The green eyes blinked, and four of the treecat's six limbs reached out to grip her wrist in feather-gentle hand-paws. She chuckled again, pulling back to initiate a playful tussle, and the treecat uncoiled to its full sixty-five centimeters (discounting its tail) and buried its true-feet in her midriff with the deep, buzzing hum of its purr.

OBS Chapter 1

Yes I know it is a small sample size but it looks as if you can use the length, with tail, of a fully grown Maine Coon as a good approximation of the length of a Treecat including tail. From those samples the length of a Treecat, minus tail, is slightly less than a Maine Coon, minus tail. What you would find is that a treecat of the same length as a Maine Coon can also be taller but also most likely to be more muscular.[/quote]

Actually, no. My "gray boys" were gray tabbies . . . whose father had enough bobcat in his DNA that he still had the mask and the tufted ears. Leonardo was the brother with an extra toe on each foot (and feet the size of teacups, I swear) and Bombur (so named because he was born in the middle of a nap attack and promptly went back to sleep) was slightly the larger and shaped like a football, American style. 'Nardo was the socializer of the pair, who would demand petting and gently sink his claws into your sleeve (or the back of your hand) to move your fingers to a place where they could do their duty. Bombur was the shy one, who disappeared under chairs as soon as someone he didn't know walked into the room. They were both big cats (Bombur's top weight was 23.5 pounds [10.7 kg]; 'Nardo's was 22 and a smidgeon [about 10 kg], but he was the "long, rangy" one of the pair), and Nimitz has 'Nardo's personality and Bombur's brain, in a lot of ways.

When I set the body weight for Nimitz originally, I did a quick and dirty estimate in my brain based on the fact that treecats have a (relatively) longer and narrower body form than Terran cats (think weasel or ferret crossed with bobcat) and came up with 9.5 kilos. If I were doing the same calculation today, I'd probably push that closer to 11 kg because I'd forgotten or failed to take into consideration that he'd most likely have been "denser" on a volume-for-volume basis because of the heavier gravity in which he evolved.

That help?[/quote]
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by phillies   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 am

phillies
Admiral

Savannah Cat

Accept no substitutes.

About 2' long. Can jump 8-9 feet up.
Post by Renegade13   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:44 am

Renegade13
Commander

First of all, I hope that the folks from Evergreen Studios are paying attention to these discussions... it won't be easy, but getting Nimitz correct is going to be vital to the movie!!

Second, there have been some very good ideas for the 'proper' look of Nimitz. For what it is worth, I think that the general body form of a Savannah would be a good start. I've always envisioned a treecat as being long and lean - and the Savannah has the general size and shape. Maybe make the legs just a touch shorter (they are arboreal, after all, so they wouldn't have the really long legs adapted specially for moving in open ground areas), and give them a coat much closer in length and thickness to a Maine Coon (again, an adaptation for the bitter winters and overall environment). And of course the body would be a bit more 'solid' and muscular under the coat - that would show their strength and weight/mass.

I haven't really decided about the changes to the head that would be needed. On one hand, it should look very 'cat-like' - for obvious reasons - but on the other hand I think that there should be some subtle changes to make it just 'alien' enough to stand out. I wish that I had the talent to sketch out some of the ideas that I have in my head, but that is not my talent at all.

Hoping that RFC keeps a close eye on what Evergreen is doing, and make sure that the folks over there stay true to the original vision and the story.

phillies wrote:Savannah Cat

Accept no substitutes.

Post by kzt   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:21 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I was totally astonished the first time I saw my sister's little cat casually leap to the top of the refrigerator from the floor. I knew she could get there, but I assumed she got there from the counter.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

kzt wrote:I was totally astonished the first time I saw my sister's little cat casually leap to the top of the refrigerator from the floor. I knew she could get there, but I assumed she got there from the counter.

I have a cat who can do the exact same thing. She's a dainty, adorable seven-pound bundle of ginger, green-eyed cleverness.

She is also a demon in feline form, except when she's purring on my lap. :lol:

I think of her whenever I picture female treecats - slim, willowy, and delicately built, but incredibly strong underneath it.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:I have a cat who can do the exact same thing. She's a dainty, adorable seven-pound bundle of ginger, green-eyed cleverness.

She is also a demon in feline form, except when she's purring on my lap. :lol:

I think of her whenever I picture female treecats - slim, willowy, and delicately built, but incredibly strong underneath it.

My kitty saved my life a few years ago, when I was still staying in Cape Town. He's a tux-patterned domestic shorthair. Anyways, I was staying in a house just a few hundred meters below the fence of Table Mountain National Park. So one Saturday morning I was cooking breakfast when I heard this weird sound in the backyard & went out to have a look. As I turned the corner, I saw this huge Cape Cobra about three meters in front of me. Just as it was getting ready to spit at me, my kitty came running past me and latched onto the snake's neck. It all happened so fast, but had that snake managed to spit, I'd never have had time to get away. At that short a distance they're awfully accurate and their venom is one of the most potent among African snakes. My kitty gave me a chance to grab a spade to bash the snake's head in.
Post by boballab   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:Savannah Cat

Accept no substitutes.

I prefer Bengals, the other cross with a wild cat:
Bengal (mis) Behaviour!
OK, we admit it! Bengals are not your laid-back lap cat! They are often quite naughty and can be a handful, they are not for the inexperienced or nervous cat owner!

The Bengal is also very intelligent for a cat and needs lots of things to keep that brain occupied, lots of interactive play with toys (like the dragonfly you can find on our store) and if you’re out a lot, another cat is often a great playmate.

Bengals are also very vocal and loud – they will always tell you when they want something such as food or the litter box to be cleaned out (did I mention they can be fussy over these things?). The Bengal miaow is not easily ignored!

Although Bengals can be naughty and loud, they are also great fun and love to play with their humans. They are affectionate and it’s not unusual for them to form a great loyalty to a single member of the household.

Their intelligence means they are easy to train and many react well to clicker training. It’s not uncommon for Bengal owners to train their cats to go for a walk on a harness and leash (we have safe and strong harness jackets for sale in our store).

Our bodies are large, lean and muscular with substantial bones. Our back legs are slightly longer than our front ones, reminiscent of our wild ancestors. Our heads are relatively small in relation to our bodies and should be a little longer than wide, with medium to small ears. Our tails are thick and can be ringed, spotted or marbled, but should always have a solid dark coloured tip. Our chins should be light and our whisker pads prominent. Noses are large and broad with slightly puffed nose leather which is often a rich colour.

Even our voices are different to most other cats and we use them often – you certainly know if you have a Bengal in your house, because we loudly remind you often throughout the day! We can be quite fussy about our litter trays, and will refuse to use them if not clean so will let you know when they’re not up to our standards :) We’ll also remind you when it’s dinner time – you’ll soon stop whatever you’re doing, just to shut us up!

http://www.bengalcatworld.com/home/bengal-cat-facts/

We have two and one of them like to catch flies which can be a problem when she jumps straight up into the ceiling fan chasing a fly. Yes fit Bengals can jump about 8 ft straight up.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

kbus888 wrote:=2014/07/09=
Yup, that helps

Thanks

"Cherie`was her name and she was an ordinary looking animal except she was polydactyl -- 2 extra toes on each of her four paws.

R

Did you find a way to track them down, terrorize their home, and give them a lingering death that they saw coming?
(Please say yes, even if it isn't true.)

dreamrider
Post by hanuman   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

dreamrider wrote:
kbus888 wrote:=2014/07/09=
Yup, that helps

Thanks

R

Did you find a way to track them down, terrorize their home, and give them a lingering death that they saw coming?
(Please say yes, even if it isn't true.)

dreamrider

Dreamrider, I'm not normally a violent person, but when I read that, I too felt the way you do. I sincerely believe that animals are just as intelligent as we are, in many ways. But even if that wasn't true, how can any decent person DO that to a member of someone else's family?

Return to Honorverse