Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 66 guests

Size of Treecats

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Size of Treecats
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Okay, so here is a 10kg Maine Coon in the arms of its owner.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _10_kg.jpg

How big would a 15kg treecat be?
Re: Size of Treecats
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Bigger.

dreamrider
Post by saber964   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm

saber964
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Bigger.

dreamrider

It depends on which planet IIRC Nimitz weighs in at 9.5kg standard bu on sphinx he weighs over 12 kg and on San Martin he would 24-5kg.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:It depends on which planet IIRC Nimitz weighs in at 9.5kg standard bu on sphinx he weighs over 12 kg and on San Martin he would 24-5kg.

Nitpick: Kilograms is a measure of Mass, not weight. If Nimitz' mass is 9.5 Kg standard, then that's his mass in any gravitational field.

That said, mass is a poor comparator to determine size. Nimitz' dimensions, with and without tail, are given in textev, but I don't recall what they are or where they're given; actually any of the places they're given.

PS: Treecats are heavy-worlders so they are probably more massive per centimeter than the Main Coon pictured above.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:59 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
saber964 wrote:It depends on which planet IIRC Nimitz weighs in at 9.5kg standard bu on sphinx he weighs over 12 kg and on San Martin he would 24-5kg.

Nitpick: Kilograms is a measure of Mass, not weight. If Nimitz' mass is 9.5 Kg standard, then that's his mass in any gravitational field.

That said, mass is a poor comparator to determine size. Nimitz' dimensions, with and without tail, are given in textev, but I don't recall what they are or where they're given; actually any of the places they're given.

PS: Treecats are heavy-worlders so they are probably more massive per centimeter than the Main Coon pictured above.

Further nitpic: Its a measure of both, as you would find out quickly in any grocery in Europe, whether on the Portugese seashore or high in the Alps. You're gonna buy the weight, not the mass.

dreamrider
Post by boballab   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:05 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

IIRC RFC has stated before that he owned 2 Maine Coon cats and they were the inspiration for the Treecats so logically the average size of a Maine Coon is what you would expect for a Treecat. So lets compare the two's sizes:
Maine Coon:
Maine Coons are the largest breed of domestic cat. Males weigh from 15 to 25 lb (6.8 to 11.3 kg) with females weighing from 10 to 15 lb (4.5 to 6.8 kg).[18] The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 48 in (120 cm), including the tail, which can reach a length of 14 in (36 cm)[19] and is long, tapering, and heavily furred, almost resembling a raccoon's tail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon ... escription

Average overall length is 120 cm with tail, 84 cm without.

Climb's Quickly:
Stephanie watched the intruder vanish with a sense of wonder which only grew as the creature disappeared. It was small, she thought—no more than sixty or seventy centimeters long, though its tail would probably double its body length.

ABF Chapter 4

Nimitz:
"'Bleek' yourself," she said, rubbing the ridge of its muzzle. The green eyes blinked, and four of the treecat's six limbs reached out to grip her wrist in feather-gentle hand-paws. She chuckled again, pulling back to initiate a playful tussle, and the treecat uncoiled to its full sixty-five centimeters (discounting its tail) and buried its true-feet in her midriff with the deep, buzzing hum of its purr.

OBS Chapter 1

Yes I know it is a small sample size but it looks as if you can use the length, with tail, of a fully grown Maine Coon as a good approximation of the length of a Treecat including tail. From those samples the length of a Treecat, minus tail, is slightly less than a Maine Coon, minus tail. What you would find is that a treecat of the same length as a Maine Coon can also be taller but also most likely to be more muscular.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

You'd actually still buy the mass, not the weight, if they use calibrated scales like i have used. these scales are calibrated off a standard kilogram, and calibrated onsite, so regardless of weight, they will measure it as the mass.

dreamrider wrote:]
Further nitpic: Its a measure of both, as you would find out quickly in any grocery in Europe, whether on the Portugese seashore or high in the Alps. You're gonna buy the weight, not the mass.

dreamrider
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

boballab wrote:IIRC RFC has stated before that he owned 2 Maine Coon cats and they were the inspiration for the Treecats so logically the average size of a Maine Coon is what you would expect for a Treecat. So lets compare the two's sizes:
Maine Coon:
Maine Coons are the largest breed of domestic cat. Males weigh from 15 to 25 lb (6.8 to 11.3 kg) with females weighing from 10 to 15 lb (4.5 to 6.8 kg).[18] The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 48 in (120 cm), including the tail, which can reach a length of 14 in (36 cm)[19] and is long, tapering, and heavily furred, almost resembling a raccoon's tail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon ... escription

Average overall length is 120 cm with tail, 84 cm without.

Climb's Quickly:
Stephanie watched the intruder vanish with a sense of wonder which only grew as the creature disappeared. It was small, she thought—no more than sixty or seventy centimeters long, though its tail would probably double its body length.

ABF Chapter 4

Nimitz:
"'Bleek' yourself," she said, rubbing the ridge of its muzzle. The green eyes blinked, and four of the treecat's six limbs reached out to grip her wrist in feather-gentle hand-paws. She chuckled again, pulling back to initiate a playful tussle, and the treecat uncoiled to its full sixty-five centimeters (discounting its tail) and buried its true-feet in her midriff with the deep, buzzing hum of its purr.

OBS Chapter 1

Yes I know it is a small sample size but it looks as if you can use the length, with tail, of a fully grown Maine Coon as a good approximation of the length of a Treecat including tail. From those samples the length of a Treecat, minus tail, is slightly less than a Maine Coon, minus tail. What you would find is that a treecat of the same length as a Maine Coon can also be taller but also most likely to be more muscular.

Actually, no. My "gray boys" were gray tabbies . . . whose father had enough bobcat in his DNA that he still had the mask and the tufted ears. Leonardo was the brother with an extra toe on each foot (and feet the size of teacups, I swear) and Bombur (so named because he was born in the middle of a nap attack and promptly went back to sleep) was slightly the larger and shaped like a football, American style. 'Nardo was the socializer of the pair, who would demand petting and gently sink his claws into your sleeve (or the back of your hand) to move your fingers to a place where they could do their duty. Bombur was the shy one, who disappeared under chairs as soon as someone he didn't know walked into the room. They were both big cats (Bombur's top weight was 23.5 pounds [10.7 kg]; 'Nardo's was 22 and a smidgeon [about 10 kg], but he was the "long, rangy" one of the pair), and Nimitz has 'Nardo's personality and Bombur's brain, in a lot of ways.

When I set the body weight for Nimitz originally, I did a quick and dirty estimate in my brain based on the fact that treecats have a (relatively) longer and narrower body form than Terran cats (think weasel or ferret crossed with bobcat) and came up with 9.5 kilos. If I were doing the same calculation today, I'd probably push that closer to 11 kg because I'd forgotten or failed to take into consideration that he'd most likely have been "denser" on a volume-for-volume basis because of the heavier gravity in which he evolved.

That help?

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kbus888   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/07/09=
Yup, that helps

Thanks

The most intelligent cat I ever owned was a grey mix female.

The damn thing used to follow my kids to the school bus stop most mornings.

"Cherie`was her name and she was an ordinary looking animal except she was polydactyl -- 2 extra toes on each of her four paws.

We had her for 8 years until someone in our neighbourhood poisoned her.

That was the only time I cried for the loss of a pet.

R

runsforcelery wrote:

ABF Chapter 4

Nimitz:

OBS Chapter 1

Yes I know it is a small sample size but it looks as if you can use the length, with tail, of a fully grown Maine Coon as a good approximation of the length of a Treecat including tail. From those samples the length of a Treecat, minus tail, is slightly less than a Maine Coon, minus tail. What you would find is that a treecat of the same length as a Maine Coon can also be taller but also most likely to be more muscular.[/quote]

Actually, no. My "gray boys" were gray tabbies . . . whose father had enough bobcat in his DNA that he still had the mask and the tufted ears. Leonardo was the brother with an extra toe on each foot (and feet the size of teacups, I swear) and Bombur (so named because he was born in the middle of a nap attack and promptly went back to sleep) was slightly the larger and shaped like a football, American style. 'Nardo was the socializer of the pair, who would demand petting and gently sink his claws into your sleeve (or the back of your hand) to move your fingers to a place where they could do their duty. Bombur was the shy one, who disappeared under chairs as soon as someone he didn't know walked into the room. They were both big cats (Bombur's top weight was 23.5 pounds [10.7 kg]; 'Nardo's was 22 and a smidgeon [about 10 kg], but he was the "long, rangy" one of the pair), and Nimitz has 'Nardo's personality and Bombur's brain, in a lot of ways.

When I set the body weight for Nimitz originally, I did a quick and dirty estimate in my brain based on the fact that treecats have a (relatively) longer and narrower body form than Terran cats (think weasel or ferret crossed with bobcat) and came up with 9.5 kilos. If I were doing the same calculation today, I'd probably push that closer to 11 kg because I'd forgotten or failed to take into consideration that he'd most likely have been "denser" on a volume-for-volume basis because of the heavier gravity in which he evolved.

That help?[/quote]
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by phillies   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 am

phillies
Admiral