Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 136 guests

Favorite Honorverse Novel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Favorite Honorverse Novel
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 pm

SpaceManSpiff
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So as I was reading On Baslisk Station for probably the 15th time I began to wonder......
What novel out of the series do I like the most?
The more I thought about it the more I realized how difficult a question that was.
After A LOT of thought I'd have to say it's Echoes of Honor. I love that book.

How about all of you?
Re: Favorite Honorverse Novel
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SpaceManSpiff wrote:
So as I was reading On Baslisk Station for probably the 15th time I began to wonder......
What novel out of the series do I like the most?
The more I thought about it the more I realized how difficult a question that was.
After A LOT of thought I'd have to say it's Echoes of Honor. I love that book.

How about all of you?

I could say that On Basilisk Station is my favorite book in the series, but that would be a bit misleading. On Basilisk Station is my favorite book, in any series.

I love a book featuring strong female characters. That's what floats my boat. OBS delivers. I like emotional reads. OBS delivers. I like space opera, dramatic battles. OBS delivers. It is in a league by itself...the best kept secret in town. :!:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:44 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

The problem is that only a few of the earlier novels can really be read as stand-alones. I particularly enjoyed 'Flag In Exile' and 'Field of Dishonor'. Of the later books, I enjoyed the 'Wages of Sin' side-series.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I don't have one.

No, really. I love every single book, but for different reasons. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would be the Wages of Sin subseries for not being quite as engaging to me on an individual character level as the Honor or Shadow novels, and At All Costs for The Event of Which We Do Not Speak despite me loving pretty much everything about the book except all the dying.

But I don't have one. (Seriously. I even love the Torch books.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

I tried to answer this. I really, really did.

But after going through 6 favorites, for different reasons, in 10 minutes, I gave up.

So, the book below is my favorite - from moment to moment:

On Basilisk Station - for the newness and the independent adventure, in multiple environs.

The Honor of the Queen - because its not independent of the RMN, and its near perfect, of course

Flag in Exile - Graysons!,...and she beheads a guy with a sword in one strike.

Honor Among Enemies - the powers are starting to move in Honor's direction, and she lives up to expectations...with a armed auxiliary!

Echoes of Honor - because everybody we like kicks butt, and hey, Honor breaks out an entire prison planet! (I still think David did this just to one-up Lois Bujold.)

War of Honor - because Honor gets a fleet, and brings the Protector's Own out to play, and creates a baby Grayson (Marsh).

At All Costs - ! ...and the beginning of the end of the beginning.

Shadow of Saganami - Talbott, Star Empire, and the heroes of Monica...and Helen...and Abigail.

Torch of Freedom - because the veil begins to fray.

Mission of Honor - Honor (both meanings), horror, ...and relief. Finally. The beginning of the end.

Storm from the Shadows - Michelle! And "this is how we do it" - a strategic essay by Adm H. Alexander-Harrington.

Sorry for the length. I got started and couldn't stop. Even at that, I feel like I cheated some books.

dreamrider
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:03 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:I tried to answer this. I really, really did.

But after going through 6 favorites, for different reasons, in 10 minutes, I gave up.

On Basilisk Station - for the newness and the independent adventure, in multiple environs.

The Honor of the Queen - because its not independent of the RMN, and its near perfect, of course

Honor Among Enemies - the powers are starting to move in Honor's direction, and she lives up to expectations...with a armed auxiliary!

Echoes of Honor - because everybody we like kicks butt, and hey, Honor breaks out an entire prison planet! (I still think David did this just to one-up Lois Bujold.)

War of Honor - because Honor gets a fleet, and brings the Protector's Own out to play, and creates a baby Grayson (Marsh).

Shadow of Saganami - Talbott, Star Empire, and the heroes of Monica...and Helen...and Abigail.

Mission of Honor - Honor (both meanings), horror, ...and relief. Finally. The beginning of the end.

Storm from the Shadows - Michelle! And "this is how we do it" - a strategic essay by Adm H. Alexander-Harrington.

Sorry for the length. I got started and couldn't stop. Even at that, I feel like I cheated some books.

dreamrider

Don't feel bad. I very nearly gave a rundown of all the novels and why I love them. Yes, all twenty-four. (But most of your six are usually at the top of my list. :D )
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:05 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
dreamrider wrote:I tried to answer this. I really, really did.

dreamrider

Don't feel bad. I very nearly gave a rundown of all the novels and why I love them. Yes, all twenty-four. (But most of your six are usually at the top of my list. :D )

You'll notice that my six turned into 11.
:oops:

dr
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:You'll notice that my six turned into 11.
:oops:

dr

I wonder if that has anything to do with RFC doing his job?? :lol:

Seriously, though. I love all the books for so many reasons that picking a single favorite is pretty much impossible, although I will say that A Rising Thunder is pretty much the only novel that did not reduce me to a blubbering mess of jelly at any point, and for that reason I love it to pieces.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Marconos   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Marconos
Ensign

This is an easy one for me.

The 1st one, because without it the others wouldn't exist. :lol:

On a serious note, I really don't think of them as different books. It's just one long story that requires multiple bindings to fit it all in.
Post by KNick   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:49 pm

KNick
Admiral

Marconos wrote:This is an easy one for me.

The 1st one, because without it the others wouldn't exist. :lol:

On a serious note, I really don't think of them as different books. It's just one long story that requires multiple bindings to fit it all in.

For me it is Mutineer's Moon. Because without that book, I would not have been waiting impatiently for the next David Weber book. Other than that, like Marconos, it is just one very long book to me.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Honorverse