Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Favorite Honorverse Novel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Favorite Honorverse Novel
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I'm having trouble deciding between Honor Among Enemies or Echoes of Honor. Ashes of Victory and The Shadow of Saganami are slightly behind those.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I had to think about this, or I've have a list at least as long as dreamrider's.

For me it is an unofficial 'trilogy' Echos of Honor, Ashes of Victory, and War of Honor. For some reason those three just flow smoothly from one to the other (even if they do cover several years of time) and are chock full of battles, personal stuff, and politics.

Not that I've read anything bad, mind you...just that these three are my favorite.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:41 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Marconos wrote:This is an easy one for me.

The 1st one, because without it the others wouldn't exist. :lol:

On a serious note, I really don't think of them as different books. It's just one long story that requires multiple bindings to fit it all in.

And never a truer word was spoken...
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
SpaceManSpiff wrote:
So as I was reading On Baslisk Station for probably the 15th time I began to wonder......
What novel out of the series do I like the most?
The more I thought about it the more I realized how difficult a question that was.
After A LOT of thought I'd have to say it's Echoes of Honor. I love that book.

How about all of you?

I could say that On Basilisk Station is my favorite book in the series, but that would be a bit misleading. On Basilisk Station is my favorite book, in any series.

I love a book featuring strong female characters. That's what floats my boat. OBS delivers. I like emotional reads. OBS delivers. I like space opera, dramatic battles. OBS delivers. It is in a league by itself...the best kept secret in town. :!:

Another reason is that I feel a part of Honor's original inner circle. There is nothing like the closeness of that original dream team. Even Honor requested them each time she got the chance. Their intimacy is a galaxy within the Honorverse. When we lose a member of the original Fearless circle, it hurts even more. Either one of them, at any point in their career, would gladly give up an Admiral's billet to ride with her again. Me too. I call shotgun! :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:I could say that On Basilisk Station is my favorite book in the series, but that would be a bit misleading. On Basilisk Station is my favorite book, in any series.

I love a book featuring strong female characters. That's what floats my boat. OBS delivers. I like emotional reads. OBS delivers. I like space opera, dramatic battles. OBS delivers. It is in a league by itself...the best kept secret in town. :!:

Another reason is that I feel a part of Honor's original inner circle. There is nothing like the closeness of that original dream team. Even Honor requested them each time she got the chance. Their intimacy is a galaxy within the Honorverse. When we lose a member of the original Fearless circle, it hurts even more. Either one of them, at any point in their career, would gladly give up an Admiral's billet to ride with her again. Me too. I call shotgun! :D

I'm tellin' you, guys. David has got to find some way to get all of them aboard Unconquered, and some terrorist EE stuff going on, or sumthin'!

...And Alice has shotgun. Take a side window.

dreamrider
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:I could say that On Basilisk Station is my favorite book in the series, but that would be a bit misleading. On Basilisk Station is my favorite book, in any series.

dreamrider wrote:I'm tellin' you, guys. David has got to find some way to get all of them aboard Unconquered, and some terrorist EE stuff going on, or sumthin'!

...And Alice has shotgun. Take a side window.

dreamrider

What a lovely nose you have for a good read grandma.

"Better to entertain you with my dear."

Seems you're a big bad wolf in disguise to want to gather the original Fearless crew together again for a hell ride. That idea excites me like a flea on a dog, like a fly on excrement, like a pig in slop, like a cthia on Abby ... oops.

I'd gladly give up shotgun for Alice if that'll make it happen. Except, the Graysons will insist on sending a backup ship. Let's place Alice in command of Unconquerable off the starboard bow. I always thought Alice was a sleeper as far as a tactician and is just waiting to pull Esther McQueenage out of her hat. I always thought she was that good — always got that feeling. I'd love for her an opportunity to show what she's got and strut her stuff. And if Honor is picking her own team, how about Abby off the port bow?

As far as Honor. Now I know she'll fight it tooth and nail, leave it up to the Graysons to trick her or 'sumthin,' but I was disappointed that Honor never sailed in her 'namesake' on a deathride. Can you imagine the fear in the enemy, with Honor flying a freshly cast updated fully tricked out version of her namesake?

The enemy:
"I think it's one of those — Oh my God, we're screwed. It's ... It's ... It's Harrington commanding a ... Harrington! And they both look mad as hell!! We're screwed! We're screwed! Game over man. Game over!" :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Hmmm favorite book... It's not OBS just cause its the first book, I think that's a bit of a cop out. Numerical order shouldn't have precedence.

It might be Shadow of Freedom. That features my favorite characters heavily, Commodore Terekhov and Admiral Gold Peak, with Admiral Khumalo rounding out the top 3. Or possibly A Rising Thunder. I love the shining moments of badassness. I also find the Mandarin's a far more believable and appropriate villain then most. I love seeing them fail. Not that I view them as a reflection of my governments leadership. Oh heavens no.
Post by richardinor   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm

richardinor
Commander

Echoes of Honor is my favorite

Return to Honorverse