Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 131 guests

First exposure to Honor Harrington

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: First exposure to Honor Harrington
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

TVTropes.

No, seriously.

I kept encountering Honor Harrington examples everywhere, and given that the work page ever so kindly pointed to the Baen CD archives... well, the rest, as they say, is history. :mrgreen:

I want to say that was just after the release of Torch of Freedom, but it might have been just after the release of The Shadow of Saganami - I'm not really sure. At first I had them in electronic versions only - in PDF, if you can believe that, since at the time I was still terribly skeptical of this whole "e-book" thing - but I do have about half a dozen of the books in paperback thanks to secondhand bookstores.

I can tell you for certain that it was definitely my gateway into literary science fiction - up until then I'd been more interested in fantasy.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I share your interest in wondering about everyone else's foray into the Web of Honor. I started a thread some time ago, when I first stumbled onto the forum, while stranded at the beach in the snow. I don't think it went over too well as readers suffered through my lackluster writing skills and bad grammar, partly because I rushed it — I was hiding from my fiancée my posting, it was sort of a vacation together without computers/work, I had no idea I'd discover my first forum when I made that promise — but mostly because my writing skills are simply not as good as most of yours. But, the experience is genuine as is my willingness to share.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5101&p=125323#p125323

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:I share your interest in wondering about everyone else's foray into the Web of Honor. I started a thread some time ago, when I first stumbled onto the forum, while stranded at the beach in the snow. I don't think it went over too well as readers suffered through my lackluster writing skills and bad grammar, partly because I rushed it — I was hiding from my fiancée my posting, it was sort of a vacation together without computers/work, I had no idea I'd discover my first forum when I made that promise — but mostly because my writing skills are simply not as good as most of yours. But, the experience is genuine as is my willingness to share.

Whoops, sorry to repeat! :oops:
Oh well...
Response to others: I first read the Excalibur Alternitive YEARS before, but never thought to follow up on the author, I forgot who it was, if I ever knew.
One I started reading Honorverse and researching his other stuff I had a moment of appifany! It was truly amazing.
Post by Vince   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
cthia wrote:I share your interest in wondering about everyone else's foray into the Web of Honor. I started a thread some time ago, when I first stumbled onto the forum, while stranded at the beach in the snow. I don't think it went over too well as readers suffered through my lackluster writing skills and bad grammar, partly because I rushed it — I was hiding from my fiancée my posting, it was sort of a vacation together without computers/work, I had no idea I'd discover my first forum when I made that promise — but mostly because my writing skills are simply not as good as most of yours. But, the experience is genuine as is my willingness to share.

Oh well...
Response to others: I first read the Excalibur Alternitive YEARS before, but never thought to follow up on the author, I forgot who it was, if I ever knew.
One I started reading Honorverse and researching his other stuff I had a moment of appifany! It was truly amazing.

Appifany? Did you start reading the Honorverse on a tablet? ;) :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by BarryKirk   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:27 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

I can thank my puppy bitch Zoey for introducing me to HH.

I borrowed a very forgettable book from a friend. Started reading it, and left it on the nightstand to go to sleep.

In the middle of the night, Zoey borrowed the book and had her way with it. The next morning, there wasn't a piece larger than a square centimeter.

I told my friend what had happened and he told me to replace it with On Baslisk Station.

Well, I read it before giving it to him.

Then I went down to the bookstore and bought the hardcover for Mission of Honor. I quickly realized it was book 12 in the series.

However, I noticed their was a CD in the book, popped it into my drive and discovered much to my delight that it had a copy of every DW book ever published by Baen.

I shared the series with my wife, but she insisted on going the audio book route.
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Vince wrote:Appifany? Did you start reading the Honorverse on a tablet? ;) :)

lol :lol:
Very possible, actually I am on a work com on Internet explorer so I have no spell check. Cant install chrome :(
My ealierst exposure, straight though Mission of Honor was all audio files
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I was browsing around TV Tropes (which is like a black hole sometimes) and was on an article about strong female protagonists. I looked through the examples and what was written about the Honorverse intrigued me. I looked up the series, found the first few volumes in a used bookstore, loved them, then ordered the rest on Half.com (where you can get large series for bulk pricing). It was up to...maybe War of Honor at that point. When I reached the end of the main series I found out about the anthologies and the side series and promptly attacked those :twisted: .

And now I'm in the same boat as everyone here of having caught up to the most current book...

For those that have never visited there is an extensive HH page on TV tropes with all sorts of character sheets, WMGs, discussion threads and more... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/L ... Harrington)
Last edited by Amaroq on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

My first exposure to Weber was "Mutineers Moon".

I was having a look in my local Waterstone's back in 1997 and decided to have a browse in the Science Fiction section. I found a copy on the shelf, the title sounded interesting, had a look at the blurb on the back, then had a skim read of the first two chapters, then I bought it.

My first HH book was "The Short Victorious War" and it's grown from there! 8-)

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by KNick   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:53 pm

KNick
Admiral

Michael Riddell wrote:My first exposure to Weber was "Mutineers Moon".

I was having a look in my local Waterstone's back in 1997 and decided to have a browse in the Science Fiction section. I found a copy on the shelf, the title sounded interesting, had a look at the blurb on the back, then had a skim read of the first two chapters, then I bought it.

My first HH book was "The Short Victorious War" and it's grown from there! 8-)

Mike. :)

Finally. Someone who has been craving a Weber fix nearly as long as I have. I started with Mutineer's Moon in 1991, when it first came out. And immediately started waiting for the next book by this new author to come out. Back then they were all in paperback. No hardcover editions at all. In fact, I did not buy any hardcover books by anybody. But as soon as Baen switched to hardcover, that is the way I bought them. And I have never been disappointed, except by Out of the Dark. :shock:
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:

Oh well...

No apology needed. It's bound to happen. Important thing is the discussion. Besides, sometimes a beer is served before its time. Yuck!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse