Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, markusschaber and 63 guests

First exposure to Honor Harrington

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
First exposure to Honor Harrington
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hello,
Is there a thread for stories about first exposure to our favourite damsel distributing distress to others?
I feel like there should be and I'd like to share my story and read others.
Question prompted by reading about how many found them by the Baen Free Library.
Personally I picked up the abridged, yuck, "War of Honor" on audio book. I reaqlized that it was not the first book but fell in love with everything about it. The Graysons struck me as cowboy upstarts. Pods where just coming into use so I had no idea what was happening, but the LACs made sense, in an aircraft sort of way.
It sparked a love that has brought be here, almost a decade later, loving our girl and rooting for her loves wins and crying at her losses and heartbreaks.
Re: First exposure to Honor Harrington
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:53 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Looks like you just created one!

Seriously, if you don't see a thread on an Honorverse topic you want to discuss in the last page or two, just make your own thread. There's little point in searching zombie threads just to find the appropriate one to add to. (Searching the old threads can be useful to see what has been said before, naturally.)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:Looks like you just created one!

Seriously, if you don't see a thread on an Honorverse topic you want to discuss in the last page or two, just make your own thread. There's little point in searching zombie threads just to find the appropriate one to add to. (Searching the old threads can be useful to see what has been said before, naturally.)

I am a bit shocked :shock: that there wasn't one already. But it may have been lost in the ages of time. :ugeek:
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:20 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:

I am a bit shocked :shock: that there wasn't one already. But it may have been lost in the ages of time. :ugeek:

I seem to recall one, but it might have been over on Baen's Bar.

I found them because my dad had bought the first three, and I'd read some other of RFC's books, so I borrowed his copy of Honor of the Queen to check it out. (Then immediately ordered the rest of the series from Amazon - I believe it was then up through Honor Among Enemies, or possibly In Enemy Hands, then.

After that marathon reading I then had to begin waiting impatiently for the next book; like the rest of RFC's readers.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I actually found out about Honor Harrington via the Dahak series.

Not kidding.

I'd come across The Armageddon Inheritance in my local library and liked it so much that I searched out the rest of the series before encountering the Bahzell books. It was while searching for more Weber-stuff that I came across books 1-5 in the HH series and I snapped them up.

Result? A groaning bookshelf...
:D
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:29 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:

There have been a couple, but they died. There are no threads that last longer than six months or a year at the outside, except the survey threads. But even the survey threads are only a little over a year old, and someone has to keep bumping them or they would quickly die too.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Dafmeister   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

I actually found out about the series on Wikipedia. I was reading about space navies and there was a reference to the Honorverse. I looked it up and was intrigued by the idea of Age of Sail style broadside to broadside combat in space. Most importantly, I was interested because RFC had provided an in-universe explanation of why combat happened like that, rather than just stating 'that's how it is'.
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

I can't remember where I first heard of the books. May have been a few people mentioning them at Sci-Fi Meshes. Anyway, somehow, I had heard of the series and was mildly interested, as I was looking for something new and rather involved to read, but since money was tight at the time, I held off until I got my tax refund. Once that came in and immediate financial isssues were taken care of, I bought the entire series up through At All Costs (the latest release). It required me going to two different bookstores, and placing an order for one or two that neither had, but I had them all.

So I read them. Took about 2 months. When I finished with AAC, I immediately started reading them all over again.

About a year later, my daughter's birthday was coming up, and she had an interest in SF, so again, with money from a tax refund, I bought *her* the entire series and shipped it to her at college. By that time, there were a couple new books, which means when I bought her the series, a couple books were double orders.

Christmas of 2012, I again bought the entire series to date to give to my oldest son.
Post by Greentea   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Greentea
Commander

My husband introduced me to them. I had just finished devouring the 1632 series and was looking for something new to read. My husband recommended the Honorverse and pointed out that the first few books had free kindle editions. I should have recognized that old drug dealer trick. I became hooked and have been since.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:I actually found out about Honor Harrington via the Dahak series.

Not kidding.

I'd come across The Armageddon Inheritance in my local library and liked it so much that I searched out the rest of the series before encountering the Bahzell books. It was while searching for more Weber-stuff that I came across books 1-5 in the HH series and I snapped them up.

Result? A groaning bookshelf...
:D

Heh, the Armageddon Inheritance was my gateway Weber novel too. Got the other Dahak books, then I went into Starfire and finally started on the HV, which was between Echoes and Ashes when I started reading it.

I think HAE was the first one I got off the shelf, as there weren't any earlier books in stock.

Return to Honorverse