Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

First exposure to Honor Harrington

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: First exposure to Honor Harrington
Post by FLHerne   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 am

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I first heard of it because of an argument on another forum over whether the Honorverse would be able to [survive in|conquer] the Warhammer 40k universe. :?

Since I like hard-ish SF anyway, I eventually got around to picking up OBS.
Re: Re; Hello person crewdude48:
Post by SpaceManSpiff   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:14 pm

SpaceManSpiff
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

crewdude48; what I believe I posted was that it was a new purchase at our local volunteer library...and NOT a initial chronological publish date.

In future please read my posts more carefully before you made such pointless incorrect statements perhaps because they make you feel good or superior.

Thank you sir. Now drop and give me 50! What, you are STILL smiling? Drop and give me 50 more. Still? 50 more. HB of CJ (old coot) Cm. :) :)[/quote]
Um, HB? I think you are being oversensitive. All crewdude said was that he was 8 years old when OBS came out. How is that offensive?[/quote]

Yeah why I don't really understand what caused crewdude to feel he needed to point out how old he was when OBS came out hi doing so isn;t offensive at all IMO.[/quote]

Perhaps he didn't intend to quote HB of CJ and it was meant as a stand alone comment?
Post by wholf359   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 pm

wholf359
Commander

I first found the series when my father gave me OBS to read while on a plane trip to Disney World when I was around 14. I have been hooked ever since.
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Reading OBS was a bit of an odd experience for me. For the first part of the book it was like anything else, I'd read a bit every day, maybe twice a day. Then one night I had an attack of insomnia and picked it up again somewhere after midnight. I got to the raid on the mekoha lab (did I miss an h in there?) and from there I didn't even contemplate putting it down until it was finished.

Needless to say, I wasn't much good at work the next day :lol:

I ordered the rest of the books that were out at that time, which was everything up to At All Costs including Shadow of Saganami and the first four anthologies, the next day.
Post by cxw1065   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm

cxw1065
Midshipman

Hello all

My first exposure to RFC's books was via my local library. I was a teenage girl, searching for some new sci-fi (having read all the Star Trek books I could find) and I found Armageddon Inheritance. I still remember the copy, it was a paperback that was absolutely falling to bits.

Anyway, I liked it, so went back to look for more by the same author. I found OBS and SVW and got totally hooked. Now, I'm in the UK- there weren't very many copies of RFC's books available. I'm actually surprised there were any, to be honest. It took me a while, and lots of reserving (where you can order books from other linked libraries) till I read everything the library system had.

By then, I had started at medical school, and the internet had come into public domain. Amazon started up and started selling second-hand books (I was a lowly student at the time), and I've never looked back.

But I still remember that first copy of that first book. I managed to find the same version some years later, and bought it, just for the memories.

(I have to say, I was almost put off by the Michael Jackson-esque look of Honor on one of the covers- I think it was the OBS paperback- I remember covering it up so I could read it one the underground!)
Post by cxw1065   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:59 pm

cxw1065
Midshipman

OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPs, I meant my first book was Mutineer's Moon!!
Post by Jeff Donohue   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Jeff Donohue
Ensign

I believe I started with Insurrection. I had been in my local Waldenbooks, and the book was being put on the shelf. I was the first in the store to buy it, I fell in love with David's writing, and have bought each of his books since then, Honor is definitely my favorite, followed closely by Nimue. I honestly can't stop reading the books. I have worn out many paperbacks, and re-buy them in hardback when they are re-printed that way. Mr. Weber, you have gotten your fair share of my money, and I don't begrudge you a single cent.
Post by Whitecold   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:14 am

Whitecold
Commander

I came to these stories by way of a certain black hole of productivity called Tvtropes, where Honor Harrington was described as Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE!
When I then found the free library CD's I read all the books in the next three weeks or so.
Post by KNick   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:25 pm

KNick
Admiral

Jeff Donohue wrote:I believe I started with Insurrection. I had been in my local Waldenbooks, and the book was being put on the shelf. I was the first in the store to buy it, I fell in love with David's writing, and have bought each of his books since then, Honor is definitely my favorite, followed closely by Nimue. I honestly can't stop reading the books. I have worn out many paperbacks, and re-buy them in hardback when they are re-printed that way. Mr. Weber, you have gotten your fair share of my money, and I don't begrudge you a single cent.

Finally, somebody who has been hooked longer than I have. I hadn't realized Insurrection came out earlier, because I didn't pick it up until after I read Mutineer's Moon. The reason I had passed over that particular book was because it was a co-authored book. Up until that time, most multiple authored book were fairly bad. (This is coming from someone who read 5-7 books a week at the time).
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Honorverse