Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Grendelsbane

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Grendelsbane
Post by sturdy00   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 pm

sturdy00
Ensign

I'm sort of curious on why Manticore would build an entire fleet at Grendelsbane Station? I believe the total Admiral Higgens had to destroy during the withdrawl was 27 Medusa, 46 Invictus, and 19 CLACs not to mention the actual support structures for such an endeavor (War of Honor paperback pg 866). Grendelsbane is 60 light years from Manticore itself and unless I am mistaken not a wormhole's jump away. For a single star political unit (at the time) that seems like an awful lot of tonnage to put into construction in a satellite yard a way from major reinforcements.

Granted all this construction was began before High Ridge came to power, but it seems rather stupid given the fabulous wealth of the Unicorn Belt (Ashes of Victory) and the observed practices of the Graysons - stand alone slips(Echos of Honor). I'm just a simple grunt married to a Bradley (for better or WORSE) but I think if America put entire armored corps into construction in England I'd be a bit disappointed.

Other than ensuring an ally knew we thought they were important is there another reason out there for putting so much advanced tonnage under construction away from immediate reinforcements?
Re: Grendelsbane
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:25 pm

munroburton
Admiral

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/104/1

The gist of it is, Grendelsbane was an older contemporary of Hancock Base and ended up becoming a backup yard during the pre-war build-up due to strategical concerns over the RMN's only full yards being in the Manticore Binary System.

Prescient, as it happens. Unfortunately, Janacek didn't do a damned thing to defend the base.
Post by Grashtel   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Grashtel
Captain of the List

sturdy00 wrote:I'm sort of curious on why Manticore would build an entire fleet at Grendelsbane Station? I believe the total Admiral Higgens had to destroy during the withdrawl was 27 Medusa, 46 Invictus, and 19 CLACs not to mention the actual support structures for such an endeavor (War of Honor paperback pg 866). Grendelsbane is 60 light years from Manticore itself and unless I am mistaken not a wormhole's jump away. For a single star political unit (at the time) that seems like an awful lot of tonnage to put into construction in a satellite yard a way from major reinforcements.

Granted all this construction was began before High Ridge came to power, but it seems rather stupid given the fabulous wealth of the Unicorn Belt (Ashes of Victory) and the observed practices of the Graysons - stand alone slips(Echos of Honor). I'm just a simple grunt married to a Bradley (for better or WORSE) but I think if America put entire armored corps into construction in England I'd be a bit disappointed.

Other than ensuring an ally knew we thought they were important is there another reason out there for putting so much advanced tonnage under construction away from immediate reinforcements?

What Mr Weber has to say about it, the short answer is that it was a major repair yard that kept getting upgraded until it was economically worth using it as a construction yard due to Manticore working at capacity to build warships. He agrees that it wasn't actually a great idea to do things from a strategic point of view (which is why the Manties aren't going to be doing something like that again) but it does make sense from an economic point of view. Also Grendlesbane lacks planets of a native population so is just a base rather than an ally.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:40 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I'm not entirely convinced that RFC didn't create the entire base solely to torture my love Allen Higgins, but that may be just me. *whistle*

But yeah, it just kind of got caught up in the war buildup without proper protection.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:I'm not entirely convinced that RFC didn't create the entire base solely to torture my love Allen Higgins, but that may be just me. *whistle*

But yeah, it just kind of got caught up in the war buildup without proper protection.

My lovely Rose, I've missed you so...you doing good?
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I'm not entirely convinced that RFC didn't create the entire base solely to torture my love Allen Higgins, but that may be just me. *whistle*

My lovely Rose, I've missed you so...you doing good?

I'd be doing better if I could, er, console Allen over the fact that RFC basically uses him as an emotional punching bag.

'Console' in the physical sense, I mean. As if that wasn't obvious. :mrgreen:

Also, cthia asked for a quick explanation of why Dame Estelle initially disliked Admiral Khumalo and got an essay in response, courtesy me. So I've been sufficiently entertained. You? :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by sturdy00   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm

sturdy00
Ensign

munroburton wrote:http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Harrington/104/1

The gist of it is, Grendelsbane was an older contemporary of Hancock Base and ended up becoming a backup yard during the pre-war build-up due to strategical concerns over the RMN's only full yards being in the Manticore Binary System.

Prescient, as it happens. Unfortunately, Janacek didn't do a damned thing to defend the base.

This answers my question rather neatly. Thank you.
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Rose,
Eventually, Allen will get his day, in spades.

And when he does, if he has a say in it, I think that he should be created in honor of his finest, bravest achievement...

Baron Grendelsbane.

dreamrider
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:10 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

Rose,

And when he does, if he has a say in it, I think that he should be created in honor of his finest, bravest achievement...

Baron Grendelsbane.

dreamrider

...excuse me, I need to go sob now.

Baby!!
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by KNick   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:11 pm

KNick
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

Rose,

Baron Grendelsbane.

dreamrider

Did you remember to mail Rose a new box of tissues, a bundle of towels and a mop and mop bucket before you posted that? :lol:
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Honorverse