Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

New Honorverse renders uploaded

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Honorverse renders uploaded
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
cthia wrote:Excellent work Maxx! I, for one, can appreciate all of the meticulous painstaking work. Because of your renderings, I have been better able to more accurately visualize the hardware. Is any of your work going to be used in the upcoming movie?

One request...more more more! :D

No, none of my stuff will be in the movie. Remember that there's book canon and movie canon, and except in *very* broad terms, never the twain shall meet. My stuff is closer to David's actual vision, as it appears in the books, but even *I* admit that it's not visually exciting enough for the big screen.

My stuff is more for those who want to see more in-depth into the books, and *may* be something that Evergreen might see as far as getting an idea of what David was seeing in his mind's eye. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.

I'm not upset about it, as I'm fully aware of my limitations, and nothing I've done is up to professional standards - probably never will be.

As long as I can help people like you "see" what the Honorverse looks like, then I'm happy with it. I know when *I* first started reading the books, I couldn't make heads or tails of the descriptions of the ships, the wedge, and so on, but once I saw Russ Isler's art, it all clicked.

So, I guess you could say that I'm paying forward Russ' help in getting *me* to understand what was going on.

Sorry about my misunderstanding Maxx. I thought that you were providing for Evergreen as well as readers of what David had in his mind's eye, not so much the actual images themselves. And of course your work would be as professional as any, if you had the same hardware, software, team and time.

At any rate, you fill a very important niche. Your work should be featured onsite, here in the forum, for new and existing readers. Of course, after the movie, all uncertainty should be removed, but until then...thanks, from all of us.

I must admit that the android game version cleared up one very important uncertainty for me. The act of rolling ship wasn't clear. For some reason I thought rolling ship was end on end. :oops: Thought I read a passage somewhere of a Captain saying 'stand her up!' Perhaps my sci-fi worlds are merging.

Again, thanks Maxx. For my niece as well. She discovered your work long before I.

Still not quite sure the picture is at all complete for me. I expect the movie will bring lots of 'Oh!'

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:55 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:No, none of my stuff will be in the movie. Remember that there's book canon and movie canon, and except in *very* broad terms, never the twain shall meet. My stuff is closer to David's actual vision, as it appears in the books, but even *I* admit that it's not visually exciting enough for the big screen.

My stuff is more for those who want to see more in-depth into the books, and *may* be something that Evergreen might see as far as getting an idea of what David was seeing in his mind's eye. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.

I'm not upset about it, as I'm fully aware of my limitations, and nothing I've done is up to professional standards - probably never will be.

As long as I can help people like you "see" what the Honorverse looks like, then I'm happy with it. I know when *I* first started reading the books, I couldn't make heads or tails of the descriptions of the ships, the wedge, and so on, but once I saw Russ Isler's art, it all clicked.

So, I guess you could say that I'm paying forward Russ' help in getting *me* to understand what was going on.

Sorry about my misunderstanding Maxx. I thought that you were providing for Evergreen as well as readers of what David had in his mind's eye, not so much the actual images themselves. And of course your work would be as professional as any, if you had the same hardware, software, team and time.

No need for apologies. I believe that Evergreen *has* seen some of my stuff - or at least, that some of it has been sent to them. Whether they've actually looked at it or not, I have no idea. I guessing, but there *could* be some legal issues involved, similar to why David doesn't allow fanfic here on his board.

As for having good hardware and such, I've got a pretty powerful desktop, but no render farm. The software is Blender (open-source freeware), which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is only slightly less powerful than something like Maya or 3D Studio Max. For a team... yeah, right. :mrgreen: This is mainly a hobby, and I was fortunate enough that someone pointed Tom Pope in my direction and he invited me to join BuNine.

cthia wrote:At any rate, you fill a very important niche. Your work should be featured onsite, here in the forum, for new and existing readers. Of course, after the movie, all uncertainty should be removed, but until then...thanks, from all of us.

Well, due to the way the site here is set up, it's difficult to feature my work here, which is why I put all those links in my signature. About the best that could happen is to make a sticky thread/post with something similar to what Poker did earlier, that would keep my links at the top, instead of slowly drifting down and on to page 3, 4, 5, or whatever. Then, it would be something that newbies here could see pretty much right away. But I'm too modest to actually ask for that, even though Duckk is also a BuNine member.

TBH, as long as I have room to add links to my signature (I don't think I can add another link now), then everytime I post, *someone* is bound to see them and check 'em out. That's fine. Aside from that, and posting a new thread when I add new stuff, I'm not one to go about screaming about it from the top of a building.

cthia wrote:I must admit that the android game version cleared up one very important uncertainty for me. The act of rolling ship wasn't clear. For some reason I thought rolling ship was end on end. :oops: Thought I read a passage somewhere of a Captain saying 'stand her up!' Perhaps my sci-fi worlds are merging.

When they are talking about "standing her on her tail", that's "pitch", not "roll". If the nose is moving side to side, that's "yaw".

cthia wrote:Again, thanks Maxx. For my niece as well. She discovered your work long before I.

No... thank *you*, and your niece. As I said, if what I do helps with understanding what's going on, then I've done my job, and the thanks of someone who *has* finally gotten it is all the appreciation I need.

cthia wrote:Still not quite sure the picture is at all complete for me. I expect the movie will bring lots of 'Oh!'

Maybe, and maybe not. I suspect quite a few people here are going to be a tad teed-off with Evergreen's interpretation. We'll see when the movie comes out.
Post by KNick   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 pm

KNick
Admiral

I say this every time you put something up, but it can't be said enough. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Once again you have posted some enlightening and informative work. I am glad you were able to share this with us.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:22 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

KNick wrote:I say this every time you put something up, but it can't be said enough. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You're welcome. But I still say it's *you* guys that should be thanked by me.

KNick wrote:Once again you have posted some enlightening and informative work. I am glad you were able to share this with us.

Me too. :mrgreen:
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:25 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

I think I speak for all established fans when I hope,

LOUDLY,

that the two canons should at least be able to exchange passing salutes! :o :P :roll: :mrgreen:
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Suggestions for some items in this line that would greatly aid fan visualization:

-an original Haven cruiser missile, circa OBS
-a Haven multi-drive capital missile, circa AAC to now
-the Technodyne 'Monica' missile
-SL Javalin missile, and the contemporary capital missile
-one of each of the 3 classes of Cataphract

And of course...
-A GhostRider drone, recon & Mistletoe versions (if visually different).

Also tonnage spec captions along with the missile names.

Take your time, we can wait. :D
(Well, actually we can't, but that's life.)

dreamrider
Post by wastedfly   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 pm

wastedfly
Commodore

dreamrider wrote:Suggestions for some items in this line that would greatly aid fan visualization:

And of course...

dreamrider

Gets a drumroll going for Companion for Haven etc... :mrgreen:

I guarantee you have at least one more buyer, right here.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:03 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

dreamrider wrote:Suggestions for some items in this line that would greatly aid fan visualization:

And of course...

dreamrider

You *do* realize that I did these missiles about four/five years ago, right? :mrgreen:

If not, then now you do. Back then, I at least had sketches from other B9 members to work from. As of now, I have very little in the way of sketches or design docs for anything other than RMN equipment, and of what I *do* have, none of it is missile related.

Also, I have a couple of things already on my plate - one will take a couple weeks to finalize, as much as anything is finalized with my stuff ("subject to change"), and the other has been collecting dust on my hard drive since January, due to a bit of "modeler's block" on my part because of reasons. Hopefully, this other quickie will get me back in the mood.
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:

And of course...

dreamrider

You *do* realize that I did these missiles about four/five years ago, right? :mrgreen:

If not, then now you do. Back then, I at least had sketches from other B9 members to work from. As of now, I have very little in the way of sketches or design docs for anything other than RMN equipment, and of what I *do* have, none of it is missile related.

Also, I have a couple of things already on my plate - one will take a couple weeks to finalize, as much as anything is finalized with my stuff ("subject to change"), and the other has been collecting dust on my hard drive since January, due to a bit of "modeler's block" on my part because of reasons. Hopefully, this other quickie will get me back in the mood.

Re realizing limitations, notice the deadline I gave...oh, wait... :)
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:03 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

dreamrider wrote:Re realizing limitations, notice the deadline I gave...oh, wait... :)

Yeah. :lol:

What makes it... difficult... is that changes are always popping up just when we think we have something locked down. With the Fearless, one idea that has been tossed around is to eventually have something that could almost qualify as a "virtual tour", where the entire interior would be modeled and viewable. Whether it ever gets that far or not is anyones (including mine) guess, but just for reference:

Only three decks have been situated where they need to be.

None of the decks are beyond the "blocking in" stage.

Nothing exists of the armored core hull or its interior, except for some concept sketches, and an empty cylinder on my mesh.

It has taken 5 years and one initial build (and two completely-from-scratch rebuilds) to get to where it's at right now.

After this past weekend's BuNine Annual Meeting, I've found out that I need to change the exterior yet again, due to some apparently wrong assumptions I and others have made, and which David threw in the crapper with an almost offhand comment :o :lol: (Honestly, RFC, I'm *not* anywhere near as upset as that makes it sound - the fixes will be easy, if tedious). BTW, I would also posit that nearly everyone here has made the *exact same* wrong assumptions that we made in BuNine.

Am I going to mention what will be/needs to be changed? <whistles innocently> Guess you'll have to wait until I post new renders and you all can play "Spot the Difference(s)". I *could* have those up in a couple days at the earliest, but as I've mentioned before, I have other stuff going on at the moment, and I think I may have a slight sadistic streak in me. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Taking all that into account, how long do you think it would take me to get to the point where I could do an accurate, canon, detailed, deck-by-deck series of renders and/or animations?

You definitely *don't* want to hold your breath. :lol:

EDIT: Also forgot to mention this - the idea is that the Fearless will be a baseline as reference for the rest of the ships in the RMN fleet. Which means that meshes/models of other ships probably *won't* have the sort of detail we'd like to eventually end up with for her. We *may* do somewhat detailed interiors for ships that differ in major ways to "normal" construction, such as podlayers, CLACs, and so forth, but for the most part, only exteriors on ships other than the Fearless will probably get done.

Return to Honorverse