Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests

New Honorverse renders uploaded

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Honorverse renders uploaded
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:32 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

pokermind wrote:Luck with the new job J. O. (Maxx-Q.) Want Maxx-Q's real name visit one of the renders and read it, use the magnifying glass plus key for larger look? ;)

Here is a thumb nail peak at the belly of a Star Night, in the full sized art you can clearly see the penances in the bays.

http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/StarKnightClassCA-002-475462456

Holy stereotypes (Star Trek's Scotty) a ethnic Scott rendering ships for the Royal Navy in Bu-9, we'll have to swap Scottish jokes, laddie. ;)

Poker

I've been putting pinnaces (and cutters) in the boat bay(s) since I started these. The Sag-C has five of the former and two of the latter.

And I'm Irish, not Scottish :mrgreen:
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:57 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Spacekiwi wrote:Good luck with the move maxx, and thanks for these. always good to get a better look at DW's creations. :D

Thanks Kiwi.

Edit: So, Poker mentioned on my DeviantArt page that a fringe benefit of my moving to S. Carolina will be that I'll be a bit closer to RFC. In actuality, I'll probably be seeing him occasionally, since I'm going to work for Gena, his former assistant and nanny for his kids and admin of this very website (or former admin, since Duckk took over). Her jewelry business is doing well enough that she felt she could offer me a full-time job, and I accepted.

So, that's the story.
Post by Vince   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

pokermind wrote:Luck with the new job J. O. (Maxx-Q.) Want Maxx-Q's real name visit one of the renders and read it, use the magnifying glass plus key for larger look? ;)

Here is a thumb nail peak at the belly of a Star Night, in the full sized art you can clearly see the penances in the bays.

***Snip***

Poker

For minor disciplinary infractions, does the RMN send its people to bed in the bay without a full belly to do penance? :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:29 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Vince wrote:

***Snip***

Poker

For minor disciplinary infractions, does the RMN send its people to bed in the bay without a full belly to do penance? :lol:

Sure, but only at the highest point, or "peak", of the bay. :mrgreen:
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A Short Victorious War
Like Honor's last ship, Nike had three fusion plants, yet her energy requirements were huge compared to a heavy cruiser's. HMS Fearless could have operated on a single plant, but Nike needed at least two, which gave her only one backup. She needed Fusion Three back before she could be considered truly operational, and from the look of things, getting it back was going to take far longer than Honor cared to think about.

MaxxQ, do you have — or is there any other — renderings showing locations of fusion plants in relation to each other and to the overall length of the ship? Especially ships with three fusion plants. How many fusion plants, has a Superdread?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:09 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:A Short Victorious War
Like Honor's last ship, Nike had three fusion plants, yet her energy requirements were huge compared to a heavy cruiser's. HMS Fearless could have operated on a single plant, but Nike needed at least two, which gave her only one backup. She needed Fusion Three back before she could be considered truly operational, and from the look of things, getting it back was going to take far longer than Honor cared to think about.

MaxxQ, do you have — or is there any other — renderings showing locations of fusion plants in relation to each other and to the overall length of the ship? Especially ships with three fusion plants. How many fusion plants, has a Superdread?

*I* don't have any of that info, as all I'm currently working on are exteriors. However, I'm sure Tom Pope or a couple of other folks have that info tucked away somewhere.

What I can say is that, IMO, *ideally* all plants should be as far from each other as physically possible, as well as placed inside the armored core hull - the secondary internal armored hull inside the main hull and where all critical systems *should* be located.

Note that there's a few qualifiers in there. That's because you almost *never* have "ideal" conditions to get to put things where you'd like to put them. Since I'm currently working on the Nike (the current, Keyhole-equipped Nike-class BC) - Reliant is finished but won't be posted until all BCs are finished - and because the tetev you quoted also uses a Nike (the smaller, earlier Reliant-class BC), I'll use her as an example.

Three fusion plants... ideally, there should be one as far forward as possible, one aft, and the third exactly between them. This is to provide enough separation to prevent battle damage from taking out more than one at a time. More than likely - and I'm not saying that's how it is, because I honestly don't know - the middle plant is probably closer to one or the other plants, and the fore/aft plants may not even be as far forward or aft as they possibly could be.

The fore/aft plants should ideally be located near the ends of the tapers, but not all the way to the impeller rings, as the impeller rooms are in that location. At best, for the Reliant-class Nike, I'd say the fore/aft plants are roughly 500-550 meters apart.

As for how many fusion plants an SD or SD(P) has...? I really don't know for sure, but at a guess, I'd say no less than four, and maybe five. Then again, they may only have three, if they use larger plants.

Side note: Sorry I haven't posted new renders lately. Since I got here in S. Carolina, I've actually been working five days a week, so I don't have as much time to work on these as I did when I was unemployed. I'm starting to settle into a routine, and it may take me a couple weeks for each ship now, instead of 2-2.5 days per ship. Quite possibly, it may go longer than that, as I'm getting to ships that need special things that I don't already have premade meshes for.

Forex, I just finished a Keyhole 1 platform for the Nike earlier today, and have finally started on the Nike herself. The KH1 took me two days to do, and there still might be some changes made before I can "attach" it to the Nike. However, once the model is done, I'll be able to reuse it for the KH1 version of the Agamemnon BC(P) which comes after the non-KH1 Aggie, which comes after the Nike.

The Aggie is one ship where I will be breaking with my rule of only doing ships that have lineart in House of Steel. I will be doing the non-KH version first (that's the version in the book), then the KH version, then possibly the Duke of Cromarty, neither of which have art in the book.

The Aggie herself is going to take a little longer than normal as well, due to having to bring in pods, set them up the way they would be stowed, and hopefully they'll fit into the pod bay with the dimensions I have. Plus the somewhat different aft taper and hammerhead are going to be new to me, which might take a little longer than usual.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
A Short Victorious War

MaxxQ wrote:
*I* don't have any of that info, as all I'm currently working on are exteriors. However, I'm sure Tom Pope or a couple of other folks have that info tucked away somewhere.

What I can say is that, IMO, *ideally* all plants should be as far from each other as physically possible, as well as placed inside the armored core hull - the secondary internal armored hull inside the main hull and where all critical systems *should* be located.

Note that there's a few qualifiers in there. That's because you almost *never* have "ideal" conditions to get to put things where you'd like to put them. Since I'm currently working on the Nike (the current, Keyhole-equipped Nike-class BC) - Reliant is finished but won't be posted until all BCs are finished - and because the tetev you quoted also uses a Nike (the smaller, earlier Reliant-class BC), I'll use her as an example.

Three fusion plants... ideally, there should be one as far forward as possible, one aft, and the third exactly between them. This is to provide enough separation to prevent battle damage from taking out more than one at a time. More than likely - and I'm not saying that's how it is, because I honestly don't know - the middle plant is probably closer to one or the other plants, and the fore/aft plants may not even be as far forward or aft as they possibly could be.

The fore/aft plants should ideally be located near the ends of the tapers, but not all the way to the impeller rings, as the impeller rooms are in that location. At best, for the Reliant-class Nike, I'd say the fore/aft plants are roughly 500-550 meters apart.

As for how many fusion plants an SD or SD(P) has...? I really don't know for sure, but at a guess, I'd say no less than four, and maybe five. Then again, they may only have three, if they use larger plants.

Side note: Sorry I haven't posted new renders lately. Since I got here in S. Carolina, I've actually been working five days a week, so I don't have as much time to work on these as I did when I was unemployed. I'm starting to settle into a routine, and it may take me a couple weeks for each ship now, instead of 2-2.5 days per ship. Quite possibly, it may go longer than that, as I'm getting to ships that need special things that I don't already have premade meshes for.

Forex, I just finished a Keyhole 1 platform for the Nike earlier today, and have finally started on the Nike herself. The KH1 took me two days to do, and there still might be some changes made before I can "attach" it to the Nike. However, once the model is done, I'll be able to reuse it for the KH1 version of the Agamemnon BC(P) which comes after the non-KH1 Aggie, which comes after the Nike.

The Aggie is one ship where I will be breaking with my rule of only doing ships that have lineart in House of Steel. I will be doing the non-KH version first (that's the version in the book), then the KH version, then possibly the Duke of Cromarty, neither of which have art in the book.

The Aggie herself is going to take a little longer than normal as well, due to having to bring in pods, set them up the way they would be stowed, and hopefully they'll fit into the pod bay with the dimensions I have. Plus the somewhat different aft taper and hammerhead are going to be new to me, which might take a little longer than usual.

Congratulations on new employment status!

Thanks again for all of your hard work. I always wondered about the placement of the reactors. It would seem to me that optimal placement might not necessarily translate into the farthest placement. An engineer may have to shuttle between all three reactors at some time of emergency. I am recalling Santos, IIRC. Anyways, it is interesting. It seems that a design wouldn't want particularly long control runs either; yet redundancy may require it. Hmmm ...

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:Congratulations on new employment status!

Thanks. It's been fun and interesting so far.

cthia wrote:Thanks again for all of your hard work. I always wondered about the placement of the reactors. It would seem to me that optimal placement might not necessarily translate into the farthest placement. An engineer may have to shuttle between all three reactors at some time of emergency. I am recalling Santos, IIRC. Anyways, it is interesting. It seems that a design wouldn't want particularly long control runs either; yet redundancy may require it. Hmmm ...

What you suggest is probably okay for a civilian ship, like a merchie (not that a merchant ship would have much in the way of redundancy for anything), but doesn't work for military ships. Battle damage control and redundancy take precedence over convenience.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:13 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:What you suggest is probably okay for a civilian ship, like a merchie (not that a merchant ship would have much in the way of redundancy for anything), but doesn't work for military ships. Battle damage control and redundancy take precedence over convenience.
But as you noted above sometimes even military redundancy gets overridden by other factors.

For example in wet navy battleships they normally have more than one boiler room and engine room; but those areas aren't able to be placed especially far from each other because of other overriding factors (some of which also have damage control implications - like the dangers of longer shafts between the engines and the props, or having long steam lines than could be pierced and allow flooding through watertight bulkheads.)

As an example of the former, evidence from dives on HMS Prince of Whales indicates that she was likely doomed by the single torpedo that hit near her props. It caused the shaft to break free and flail which destroyed watertight bulkheads between the screw and the engine room; allowing way too much of the aft to flood (plus killing power to the ship)

Fortunately for Honorverse designers its easier to route electrons around than steam or spinning metal; so they should have more flexibility to disperse the fusion plants. But for example, they may also want some separation between the plants and the impeller rooms because a hit on an unarmored node can cause an impeller room or two to blow -- wouldn't want to risk that damage propagating to an adjacent reactor room. (All that said I think you're probably right, the reactor are probably spread as far as practical; allowing for all the other trade-offs)

Ah the joys of naval architects where everything is a trade-off and there's not room for everything you'd want. (Anyway enough rambling)
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The counter is that a hit on a reactor is fatal, so therefore clustering them as tightly as possible minimizes the vulnerable area and allows the maximum effective armor to be applied and therefore improves ship survivability.

This is what extensive simulation and design reviews are supposed to go through, so I don't know the answer.

Return to Honorverse