Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

New Honorverse renders uploaded

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
New Honorverse renders uploaded
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:17 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

So... I finally got permission to upload some renders of other Honorverse stuff.

Just go to my DeviantArt page linked below and take a gander at the Mk-9 Viper, Mk-21 CM, Mk-30/31 CM, Mk-13 (the missile the Fearless uses), Mk-16, Mk-23, Mk-23 ACM, and some Flat Pack pods.

These are all several years old, and are not actually final, and if you look closely, you'll be able to see differences in renders of the same missile. At some point, I will be updating, cleaning, and re-rendering these, but for now, enjoy.

I will also be uploading a couple more videos on YouTube and will edit this post (and my sig line) when that is done.

Edit: Links now added to two more videos on YouTube - see below.
Last edited by MaxxQ on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: New Honorverse renders uploaded
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:23 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Nice. I like the guy for scale.
Post by wastedfly   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 am

wastedfly
Commodore

MaxxQ wrote:So... I finally got permission to upload some renders of other Honorverse stuff.

Just go to my DeviantArt page linked below and take a gander at the Mk-9 Viper, Mk-21 CM, Mk-30/31 CM, Mk-13 (the missile the Fearless uses), Mk-16, Mk-23, Mk-23 ACM, and some Flat Pack pods.

These are all several years old, and are not actually final, and if you look closely, you'll be able to see differences in renders of the same missile. At some point, I will be updating, cleaning, and re-rendering these, but for now, enjoy.

I will also be uploading a couple more videos on YouTube and will edit this post (and my sig line) when that is done.

XcoolX

Of course now all of us "smart asses" will be stating "emphatically" tonnage of these missiles from your old non canonized works of fun and pleasure. :lol:

It is "clear" that the Viper is vastly smaller than an SDM. "obviously" via the mark one eyeball, its tonnage can "only" be around 20 tons. :lol:

Enjoy 3d studio max!
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

kzt wrote:Nice. I like the guy for scale.

Yeah... I call him "Maxx". I wonder where I got that from...?

wastedfly wrote:XcoolX

Of course now all of us "smart asses" will be stating "emphatically" tonnage of these missiles from your old non canonized works of fun and pleasure. :lol:

Yeah, I pretty much expect it. I've learned to let it roll off my back... a little. ;)

wastedfly wrote:It is "clear" that the Viper is vastly smaller than an SDM. "obviously" via the mark one eyeball, its tonnage can "only" be around 20 tons. :lol:

Sure... whatever you say! :mrgreen:

wastedfly wrote:Enjoy 3d studio max!

As if I can afford that. I use Blender - free, and almost as powerful as 3D Studio Max (but with better animation features, not much of which I know how to use).
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:31 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Nice, John...

However...

Has there ever been an Apollo pod described that was not of the asymmetrical, "conformal" style, with the sculpted sides to let them pack tighter?

I couldn't find the reference tonight, but the last time that ?Honor?Michelle? thought about pods, in textev, she described the latest model pods that way.

dreamrider

PS - can you show us the Mk 23D/Mk 25 soon, or do you need a bigger page? :D
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:04 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

dreamrider wrote:Nice, John...

However...

Has there ever been an Apollo pod described that was not of the asymmetrical, "conformal" style, with the sculpted sides to let them pack tighter?

I couldn't find the reference tonight, but the last time that ?Honor?Michelle? thought about pods, in textev, she described the latest model pods that way.

dreamrider

PS - can you show us the Mk 23D/Mk 25 soon, or do you need a bigger page? :D

Oh... we have ideas for the asymmetrical pods. I just haven't made them yet :mrgreen:

As for the 23D/25*, if you mean the Apollo Control Missile, it's there. There's just nothing to show on the innards - it's all "black-box" stuff ;) (shorthand for, "We haven't got anything to fill it with yet.")

If you mean the system defence pod variant, then there's really not much difference - an extra drive ring (making the missile a bit longer), slightly longer pods, etc.

Same thing with the Mk30/31 CMs - there's so little difference between them, I just labelled the MK30 as both.

*TBH, I really don't remember what all the variants are designated until I start a .blend file and have the name attached to it. I'm so bad at this stuff... :mrgreen:
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:19 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

No, the Mk25 (which I believe was the Mk23D, before renaming) is the system defense variant, which is supposedly visibly much larger either the Mk 23 or the Mk23E Apollo Control Missile.

See Briefing by Adm Hemphill & staff to Adm Henke in SftS.

dreamrider
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:36 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

dreamrider wrote:No, the Mk25 (which I believe was the Mk23D, before renaming) is the system defense variant, which is supposedly visibly much larger either the Mk 23 or the Mk23E Apollo Control Missile.

See Briefing by Adm Hemphill & staff to Adm Henke in SftS.

dreamrider

Oh... well, I don't have anything for that yet, and right now, we're fairly busy with House of Lies discussions - well, I should say, Tom Pope is, as well as his collaboration with David and Timothy Zahn for the Travis book(s). Tom would have all the info I need, but right now, I'm pretty busy with some other stuff myself. Hopefully, in a few months when things settle down, I might be able to get to it.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:So... I finally got permission to upload some renders of other Honorverse stuff.

Edit: Links now added to two more videos on YouTube - see below.

Excellent work Maxx! I, for one, can appreciate all of the meticulous painstaking work. Because of your renderings, I have been better able to more accurately visualize the hardware. Is any of your work going to be used in the upcoming movie?

One request...more more more! :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:20 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:Excellent work Maxx! I, for one, can appreciate all of the meticulous painstaking work. Because of your renderings, I have been better able to more accurately visualize the hardware. Is any of your work going to be used in the upcoming movie?

One request...more more more! :D

No, none of my stuff will be in the movie. Remember that there's book canon and movie canon, and except in *very* broad terms, never the twain shall meet. My stuff is closer to David's actual vision, as it appears in the books, but even *I* admit that it's not visually exciting enough for the big screen.

My stuff is more for those who want to see more in-depth into the books, and *may* be something that Evergreen might see as far as getting an idea of what David was seeing in his mind's eye. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.

I'm not upset about it, as I'm fully aware of my limitations, and nothing I've done is up to professional standards - probably never will be.

As long as I can help people like you "see" what the Honorverse looks like, then I'm happy with it. I know when *I* first started reading the books, I couldn't make heads or tails of the descriptions of the ships, the wedge, and so on, but once I saw Russ Isler's art, it all clicked.

So, I guess you could say that I'm paying forward Russ' help in getting *me* to understand what was going on.

Return to Honorverse