Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

Post war plans

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Post war plans
Post by spacerguy   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:06 am

spacerguy
Midshipman

n7axw wrote:
Commodore Oakius wrote:I am wondering the same. If several systems are united by con quest will the Grand Alliance let them stand, as long as no injustices are being carried out, or will they step in and stop them?
I see many syaytems and goveners doing this if the have the naval strength to do so. Will the Grand Alliance stomp on them all because they are doing conquests, or let them go if they are not extremeists?

Darned good question. I suspect that the answer will have to be decided on a case by case basis and how the commercial and military interests of GA members are impacted. That sounds a bit less than idealistic, but GA simply doesn't have the resourses to play cop for the whole galaxy.

Don

I think the key will be the recognition that they can't do everything and many of the worlds/systems/people are on their own.

Choices are going to have to be made which are going to cause many sleepless nights (or maybe decades) and people and worlds are going to die based on them. Glad I've never had to make such choices.

Also, will all the successor states of the SL be willing to abide by the Eridani Edict? Especially when they think they can get away with it in the general chaos?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

spacerguy wrote: I think the key will be the recognition that they can't do everything and many of the worlds/systems/people are on their own.

Choices are going to have to be made which are going to cause many sleepless nights (or maybe decades) and people and worlds are going to die based on them. Glad I've never had to make such choices.

Also, will all the successor states of the SL be willing to abide by the Eridani Edict? Especially when they think they can get away with it in the general chaos?

Remember the Eridani Edict is a law passed by the Solarian League. It is not a convention. No one agreed to it, just everybody knows that if they unleash mega-deaths on a civilian population without regard or chance to surrender, the Solarian League is going to destroy them.

Without the SL Battle Fleet, the EE is just someone else's law that has no teeth. It would be like one of us saying "OOOOOH, I'm chewing bubble gum on the street in Kansas, are the Malasian cops going to come and cane me? -I'm SOOOOOO Scared."

The real question is whether someone else will pick up the mantle left by the EE in the SL's wake, and whether there will be a need for it. In the Choas that will soon ensue, there is a good possibility we will see fresh examples of EE violations.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by hanuman   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:54 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Commodore Oakius wrote:I am wondering the same. If several systems are united by con quest will the Grand Alliance let them stand, as long as no injustices are being carried out, or will they step in and stop them?
I see many syaytems and goveners doing this if the have the naval strength to do so. Will the Grand Alliance stomp on them all because they are doing conquests, or let them go if they are not extremeists?

I think someone called it the 'Harrington Doctrine' someplace? Anyways, nowhere did I read that the 'Harrington Doctrine' is in any way concerned with HOW those successor states come into being, just that it will be necessary to break up the Solarian League and suppress any effort to resurrect it in some way. In other words, the Star Empire/Grand Alliance will need to ensure that after the League's disintegration, the star nations that succeed it won't attempt to create a political union of the same scope and form.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:

I think someone called it the 'Harrington Doctrine' someplace? Anyways, nowhere did I read that the 'Harrington Doctrine' is in any way concerned with HOW those successor states come into being, just that it will be necessary to break up the Solarian League and suppress any effort to resurrect it in some way. In other words, the Star Empire/Grand Alliance will need to ensure that after the League's disintegration, the star nations that succeed it won't attempt to create a political union of the same scope and form.

The only inportant creation component in the 'Harrington Doctrine', is that constitutant parts must be friendly or neutral to Manticore / the GA. It is important not to give any of the remants of the league any true reason to build up a force and come back at the GA in 10 or so years.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by drothgery   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:53 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Theemile wrote:Remember the Eridani Edict is a law passed by the Solarian League. It is not a convention. No one agreed to it, just everybody knows that if they unleash mega-deaths on a civilian population without regard or chance to surrender, the Solarian League is going to destroy them.
It's an amendment to the League constitution, actually (and was implemented that way explicitly to get around the problems of passing a law in the League). But the principle behind it -- that There Will Be No Indiscriminate Use of WMDs on Civilians -- is vitally important in the Honorverse; if a non-trivial percentage of states with modern weapons reject it, the human race will not survive.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Theemile wrote:Remember the Eridani Edict is a law passed by the Solarian League. It is not a convention. No one agreed to it, just everybody knows that if they unleash mega-deaths on a civilian population without regard or chance to surrender, the Solarian League is going to destroy them.
It's an amendment to the League constitution, actually (and was implemented that way explicitly to get around the problems of passing a law in the League). But the principle behind it -- that There Will Be No Indiscriminate Use of WMDs on Civilians -- is vitally important in the Honorverse; if a non-trivial percentage of states with modern weapons reject it, the human race will not survive.

So true, but without the BF to hammer any offenders, will it survive? It might as well be a rule from the Roman empire, it will have no teeth, and no consensus of others.

Will all the remaining powers sign an Eradaini Compact at some point in the future to return teeth to it? Because it is such an important principle, as you mention, will it even be needed because everybody sees this principle rationally and will abide by it's spirit inhierently without an agreement to do so?
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:I think someone called it the 'Harrington Doctrine' someplace? Anyways, nowhere did I read that the 'Harrington Doctrine' is in any way concerned with HOW those successor states come into being, just that it will be necessary to break up the Solarian League and suppress any effort to resurrect it in some way. In other words, the Star Empire/Grand Alliance will need to ensure that after the League's disintegration, the star nations that succeed it won't attempt to create a political union of the same scope and form.

The "Harrington Doctrine" -- for lack of a better name:

Storm from the Shadows
Chapter Forty-four
(Honor Alexander-Harrington speaking)
wrote:
"So if we get into an all-out war with the League, our strategy is going to have to have a very definite political element. We'll have to make it clear that the war wasn't our idea. We'll have to drive home the notion that we're not after any sort of punitive peace, that we're not trying to annex any additional territory, that we have no desire to conduct reprisals against people who don't want to fight us. We need to tell them, every step of the way, that what we really want is a negotiated settlement . . . and at the same time, we have to hit the League as a whole so hard that the fracture lines already there under the surface open right up. We have to split the League into separate sectors, into successor states, none of which have the sheer size and concentrated industrial power and manpower of the present league. Successor states that are our own size, or smaller. And we have to negotiate bilateral peace treaties with each of those successor states as they declare their willingness to opt out of the general conflict to get us to stop beating on their heads. And once we have those peace treaties, we have to not only honor them, but step beyond them. We need to use trade incentives, mutual defense pacts, educational assistance, every single thing we can think of to show them that we are—and to really be, not just pretend to be—the sort of neighbor and ally they'll want around. In other words, once we break the League militarily, once we splinter it into multiple, mutually independent star nations, we have to see to it that none of those star nations have any motive to fuse themselves back together and gang up on us all over again."

That doesn't explicitly exclude warlords and conquerors, but I think the "mutual defense pacts" would bring them into opposition with expansionist polities through pacts with the warlord's neighbors.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Zakharra   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
hanuman wrote:I think someone called it the 'Harrington Doctrine' someplace? Anyways, nowhere did I read that the 'Harrington Doctrine' is in any way concerned with HOW those successor states come into being, just that it will be necessary to break up the Solarian League and suppress any effort to resurrect it in some way. In other words, the Star Empire/Grand Alliance will need to ensure that after the League's disintegration, the star nations that succeed it won't attempt to create a political union of the same scope and form.

The "Harrington Doctrine" -- for lack of a better name:

Storm from the Shadows
Chapter Forty-four
(Honor Alexander-Harrington speaking)
wrote:
"So if we get into an all-out war with the League, our strategy is going to have to have a very definite political element. We'll have to make it clear that the war wasn't our idea. We'll have to drive home the notion that we're not after any sort of punitive peace, that we're not trying to annex any additional territory, that we have no desire to conduct reprisals against people who don't want to fight us. We need to tell them, every step of the way, that what we really want is a negotiated settlement . . . and at the same time, we have to hit the League as a whole so hard that the fracture lines already there under the surface open right up. We have to split the League into separate sectors, into successor states, none of which have the sheer size and concentrated industrial power and manpower of the present league. Successor states that are our own size, or smaller. And we have to negotiate bilateral peace treaties with each of those successor states as they declare their willingness to opt out of the general conflict to get us to stop beating on their heads. And once we have those peace treaties, we have to not only honor them, but step beyond them. We need to use trade incentives, mutual defense pacts, educational assistance, every single thing we can think of to show them that we are—and to really be, not just pretend to be—the sort of neighbor and ally they'll want around. In other words, once we break the League militarily, once we splinter it into multiple, mutually independent star nations, we have to see to it that none of those star nations have any motive to fuse themselves back together and gang up on us all over again."

That doesn't explicitly exclude warlords and conquerors, but I think the "mutual defense pacts" would bring them into opposition with expansionist polities through pacts with the warlord's neighbors.

I don't have Storm from the Shadows, but what you quoted is interesting and indicative. If the GA is going to do that, prevent -any- successor state from getting larger than their own, they will have a LOT of very pissed off ex- Sollies that will have good reasons to hide any reforming plans until their tech is at least capable of coming close to matching the GA's technology. I think using force to literally limit the size of the successor states is going to go over like a lead balloon. it's a good speech she gives, but It think the practicality of it is going to be much harder to implement. Especially if several of the declared neutral nation-states grow beyond what the GA likes.

If said new nation reforms a something like the SL (but with an effective constitution) and has declared themselves neutral towards the GA, the GA would be killing it's PR image if it forced said new nation to stop growing.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:I think using force to literally limit the size of the successor states is going to go over like a lead balloon.

If you read carefully, the Harrington Doctrine does NOT advocate using force to limit growth, but does advocate manipulation through treaties and trade to limit the desire to join into larger polities. And mutual defense treaties to discourage warlords and conquerors.

Zakharra wrote:If said new nation reforms a something like the SL (but with an effective constitution) and has declared themselves neutral towards the GA, the GA would be killing it's PR image if it forced said new nation to stop growing.

If the SEM/GA plan works as stated, "...that none of those star nations have any motive to fuse themselves back together," the only way to reform something the size of the SL would be through conquest and mutual defense treaties would come into effect long before it reached SL size.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:If the SEM/GA plan works as stated, "...that none of those star nations have any motive to fuse themselves back together," the only way to reform something the size of the SL would be through conquest and mutual defense treaties would come into effect long before it reached SL size.

Unless, of course, one of those mutual defense treaties is secretly an attempt to form an organization that can fuse into a new Solarian League when the time is ripe. :twisted:

I think that's the Renaissance Factor plan.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse