Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 154 guests

Next book involving HH?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Next book involving HH?
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:09 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I find myself enjoying the direct *honor harrington* main story-lines, or otherwise, from her perspective, more so then the Crown of slaves//Saganami island sections.

That being said; I understand that Shadow of Freedom was intended to be part of A Rising Thunder, but was getting to long and split off...

So! 2 questions I guess;
Do you (forumgo-ers) think I should read Shadow of Freedom, given that I don't enjoy the other books of that section.

and second; more directed at David Weber or other relevant authorities;
- Is there another book somewhere in the back of your mind that may come out sometime in the next 10 years? .....
Or with the original intention of killing Honor Harrington off in "At all costs".. (which thankfully didn't happen!), is "A Rising Thunder" going to be Honor's last book.. from her perspective?
Re: Next book involving HH?
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:06 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Jeslis wrote:I find myself enjoying the direct *honor harrington* main story-lines, or otherwise, from her perspective, more so then the Crown of slaves//Saganami island sections.

That being said; I understand that Shadow of Freedom was intended to be part of A Rising Thunder, but was getting to long and split off...

So! 2 questions I guess;
Do you (forumgo-ers) think I should read Shadow of Freedom, given that I don't enjoy the other books of that section.

- Is there another book somewhere in the back of your mind that may come out sometime in the next 10 years? .....
Or with the original intention of killing Honor Harrington off in "At all costs".. (which thankfully didn't happen!), is "A Rising Thunder" going to be Honor's last book.. from her perspective?

First, Jeslis, welcome to the Forum and please don't worry about kzt and namelessfly..their bark is worse that their bite... 8-) :lol:

It may be that Runs for Celery, or RFC (who is none other than Mr. Weber himself) may post here (I for one wouldn't mind an update on what he's doing), but to he best of my knowledge:

1. I would read Shadow of Freedom, you can manage the main story without it and Cauldron of Ghosts, but you would lose some reference points and continuation.

As I have said before in these Forums, I consider the last three books (A Rising Thunder, SoF, and CoG) as the "Bridge" between the Honorverse defined by the Havenite Wars and the 'new' Honorverse defined by the SL War and subsequent breakup of the League, and the search for and inevitable conflict with the Mesan Alignment. All three books will probably be melded into the future storyline and you probably need all three to fully understand what is going on in the future.

2. I think (other may correct me) that the Mad Wizard Weber (MWW, another acronym for David Weber) has said he sees about 4-5 more books in the series (of course, I think when he started the series it was going to be a half-dozen or so books.....

And Honor will be in them, albeit as a Fleet Commander she may not be taking any death rides with a heavy cruiser, but will still be the focus of them. After all. she did say, in Mission of Honor:

"I'll miss them," she told him again, still with that dreadful softness, "but I won't forget. I'll never forget, and one day—one day, Hamish—we're going to find the people who did this, you and I. And when we do, the only thing I'll ask of God is that He let them live long enough to know who's killing them."

...and I think even God would think twice before disappointing Honor Stephanie Harrington....

3. Supposedly, RFC is working on the next book of the series for release sometime in 2015. We can but hope and wait.

Hope this helps. Others may know more than I, but that is my understanding...such as it is and what there is of it..... ;)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Jeslis wrote:I find myself enjoying the direct *honor harrington* main story-lines, or otherwise, from her perspective, more so then the Crown of slaves//Saganami island sections.

So! 2 questions I guess;

It's all one series. At this point in the timeline, Honor is simply too senior to take part in a whole lot of small-scale military action. If you ignore the Torch and Talbott books, you're going to miss a whole lot of background, and stuff will appear to be coming out of nowhere.

And yes, I expect the next book in early to mid 2015. The eARC may be out in time for Christmas. Of course, schedules contain the dates on which things didn't happen.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:17 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Jeslis,
I suggest that you find the book in a library,
and browse through it until you decide whether
it is worth your time, or not.

And welcome to WeberForums!

Howard T. Map-addict

Jeslis wrote:[snip]

[snip]

Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:34 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

1) According to David, he broke ART into two books, in the outline/plotting phase of writing it, primarily because he decided that the very large number of scene shifts would be messy and confusing for the readers.
He did not have a hard page count target from Toni. In fact Baen has published thicker books of his than the combined volume probably would have been (but not much).

David was originally hoping/planning to consolidate the Haven Quadrant and Talbott Quadrant story lines with the writing of ART. For reasons that I think are pretty clear upon reading ART, SoF, and CoG, I at least expect that convergence will now occur in the next book. (Of course, I have no idea what DAVID expects on that topic at this point. <grin>)

2) Read all three of the most recent books, as a prior poster has suggested. They are all important contributors to the galactic story arc going forward. There is at least one Big Event that is set up in all three of them, in different ways, and a couple of 'operational themes' that I think will be important to the continuing military/astro-political overplot.

dreamrider
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Jeslis

@all

I've been lurking for years in these forums (and Safehold.. and In Fury Born//Alicia Devries... and Empire from? Ashes(Dahak))

This just happened to be my first post!
(I think I had to register oh-so-long-ago in order to be able to search RFC's profile for his posts to review for any upcoming books and snippets)

But! Thank you for the welcome. Added Shadow of Freedom to Holds list @Library.

@Future posters; I'm still TERRIBLE with all the acronyms here.. Any effort you feel willing to expend to actually type out names unless it really should be obvious by context, IS appreciated.

If you ignore the Torch and Talbott books, you're going to miss a whole lot of background, and stuff will appear to be coming out of nowhere.

I'm used to it -- I think that kinda thing started in..Ashes of Victory, or War of Honor (the 2 books before At All Costs, which is around the time those 2 sub-series started up)
I'm very good at skimming for context and figuring out vaguely *what* happened where.
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Jeslis

Ack! 1 other random question;
I'm loving the Treecat perspectives.
Read the trio of books centered around HH's first Sphinxian(sp?) ancestor
Read HH's own encounter with *stinker* (real name escapes me)
Read the short story where Samantha goes to *stinkers* clan.. and convinces them to help with her kittens//bring several cats off world for a new colony.

Looking for any other Cat stories I may be missing.. specifically any involving the Manticorian Royalty /Queens/Kings and their cats'.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Jeslis wrote:Ack! 1 other random question;
Read the short story where Samantha goes to *stinkers* clan.. and convinces them to help with her kittens//bring several cats off world for a new colony.

Looking for any other Cat stories I may be missing.. specifically any involving the Manticorian Royalty /Queens/Kings and their cats'.

The short story where Honor meets Nimitz is called "The Best-Laid Plans" and is found in the Beginnings anthology.

One treecat story you missed is called "What Price Dreams?" and is found in the World of Honor anthology. It's about the first Manticoran royal bonding with a treecat, Queen Adrienne, and her treecat Dianchect.

Another is called "The Stray" from the same anthology, about Scott MacDallan, his treecat Fisher, and an unnamed, injured treecat. (Be prepared: this story will make you cry buckets. I don't care if you never cry at anything you read. This story will make you weep like a child.)

Also, might I encourage you to give the so-called "side novels" (the Torch and Talbott novels) a chance? Not only are they as fundamental to the storyline as the Honor novels themselves, they've got whole bundles of amazing characters. The Talbott series in particular is stacked with characters in the vein of early Honor - Aivars Terekhov, Abigail Hearns, Michael Oversteegen, and Helen Zilwicki, Jr, just to name a few. Not to mention it's where Michelle Henke really comes into her own. Other glorious characters include an admiral who will surprise your socks off and a quadrant governor who may in fact be the most astute politician in Manticore. You really don't know what you're missing.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I sure didn't cry reading about fisher and friends. I read it while waiting for my car to be fixed in the waiting room of my automotive place. Great story, it was the first time I was annoyed that my car was ready before I was.
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Jeslis

roseandheather wrote:
Jeslis wrote:Ack! 1 other random question;

The short story where Honor meets Nimitz is called "The Best-Laid Plans" and is found in the Beginnings anthology.
Read this one (called him stinker in my post as I had forgotten his other names)

One treecat story you missed is called "What Price Dreams?" and is found in the World of Honor anthology. It's about the first Manticoran royal bonding with a treecat, Queen Adrienne, and her treecat Dianchect.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Another is called "The Stray" from the same anthology, about Scott MacDallan, his treecat Fisher, and an unnamed, injured treecat. (Be prepared: this story will make you cry buckets. I don't care if you never cry at anything you read. This story will make you weep like a child.)
Read this one! Had forgotten to mention it tho.. yea.. was a sad one :(

Also, might I encourage you to give the so-called "side novels" (the Torch and Talbott novels) a chance?
I have given them a chance, I promise!.. I just don't enjoy the style.
To be fair, I skim//skip some things in Honor's books as well.. Lets call them 'Descriptive Paragraphs' .. I skim for a quick content gist.. but I'm more for the 'Narrative//Action Paragraphs

Not only are they as fundamental to the storyline as the Honor novels themselves, they've got whole bundles of amazing characters. The Talbott series in particular is stacked with characters in the vein of early Honor - Aivars Terekhov, Abigail Hearns, Michael Oversteegen, and Helen Zilwicki, Jr, just to name a few. Not to mention it's where Michelle Henke really comes into her own. Other glorious characters include an admiral who will surprise your socks off and a quadrant governor who may in fact be the most astute politician in Manticore. You really don't know what you're missing.

Return to Honorverse