Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 133 guests

Luxuries

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Luxuries
Post by Daryl   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Rereading the series I came across an explanation that while other worlds could and did produce whiskey, there was still a luxury market for old Earth malt Scotch, for those like Hamish who could afford it, implying that there was still a difference in quality.
At the same time it appears that other worlds can produce excellent wines, a bit like California, South Africa and Australia have supplanted France.
The more serious question that appears not to have been answered is; can other worlds produce decent chocolate?
Re: Luxuries
Post by drothgery   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Daryl wrote:The more serious question that appears not to have been answered is; can other worlds produce decent chocolate?
If we can assume that
- Honor would not drink substandard cocoa AND
- prior to her prize awards, she did not have the wealth to develop a taste for imported chocolate beverages
then we'd have to assume that decent chocolate can be produced on Sphinx, or at least on Manticore.
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

As someone who enjoys a nice glass or bottle of wine from any of the named places, I have to say I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that France has been "supplanted" as a wine exporter. :)
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:As someone who enjoys a nice glass or bottle of wine from any of the named places, I have to say I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that France has been "supplanted" as a wine exporter. :)

Wine? How efete....Just pour me a nice chilled stein of Old Tillman!

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Actually, I prefer a good cider. :D

dr
Post by hanuman   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

You alcohol-lovers are off your rockers. (I almost called you 'alcoholics', but then I thought that term might be just a tad strong).

I'm with Daryl on this one. Although, had I lived in the Honorverse, my first step after arriving on a new planet would have been to find a supplier for the best coffee available.
Post by namelessfly   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:27 am

namelessfly

Daryl wrote:Rereading the series I came across an explanation that while other worlds could and did produce whiskey, there was still a luxury market for old Earth malt Scotch, for those like Hamish who could afford it, implying that there was still a difference in quality.
At the same time it appears that other worlds can produce excellent wines, a bit like California, South Africa and Australia have supplanted France.
The more serious question that appears not to have been answered is; can other worlds produce decent chocolate?

I would guess it depends on your definition of "decent chocolate."

The worlds that can produce the chocolate that equals or surpasses the chocolate of old Earth might export chocolate to the worlds whose environments produces chocolate of lesser quality.

Having observed that my wife as well as my daughter are somewhat "cyclic" in their cravings for chocolate, I would expect that malecolonistswoulddowhatever it takes to produce decent chocolate out of self preservation.

I would
Post by WLBjork   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 am

WLBjork
Commander

Well, lets face it. With whisky there are a lot of variables. I've not delved that deeply into it, but I'm fully aware of Scotch, Irish, Canadian and American (bourbon).

My taste is for single malt Scotch whisky. Bourbon tastes so different I can't consider it whisky.

That's just on one planet - imagine what thinks are like with a few thousand planets...
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:39 am

roseandheather
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
Daryl wrote:Rereading the series I came across an explanation that while other worlds could and did produce whiskey, there was still a luxury market for old Earth malt Scotch, for those like Hamish who could afford it, implying that there was still a difference in quality.

I would guess it depends on your definition of "decent chocolate."

The worlds that can produce the chocolate that equals or surpasses the chocolate of old Earth might export chocolate to the worlds whose environments produces chocolate of lesser quality.

Having observed that my wife as well as my daughter are somewhat "cyclic" in their cravings for chocolate, I would expect that malecolonistswoulddowhatever it takes to produce decent chocolate out of self preservation.

I would

This would be a very smart move.

And said chocolate better not be damned artificial. Trust me. We can tell. :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I am not much of a drinker, but social etiquette demands I fake it. I've acquired a few hundred bottles of wine from around the world, mostly from friends. Mostly. Seventy-five bottles from Lyon, France. Sabrina's father shipped me an assorted mix of Beaujolais and Burgundy's. Italian wines from Vineto to Tuscany. However, if I must, I most prefer the sweet Rieslings of Germany, probably because of the lower alcohol content. I much prefer the sweet wines. Nothing dry.

Wine assisted recipes are superb! Go figure.

I would much rather join Honor in a cup of cocoa, though hot beverages also aren't my cup of tea. (npi) Very cold days as a kid there was hot chocolate with marshmallows. Fine, but that was to stay alive.

I'll have to order an expensive soda-pop in the Honorverse, since pop isn't often mentioned, I suppose it's expensive. Let me guess...ginger-ale has survived.

I'll take a root beer.

Chocolate.

I simply wasn't born with a sweet tooth. Certain things I like, but I have to be in the mood. My fiancée Gemma is a chocoholic. Fine. But she prefers white chocolate. I am yet to taste white chocolate that I like. No, I am yet to taste white chocolate that I don't loathe! WTF! Oxymoronic sweets. :roll:

Edit:
While visiting friends in Amsterdam I discovered this...

http://commodities.about.com/od/researc ... -Sugar.htm

Last edited by cthia on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse