Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 129 guests

Core world vulnerability

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Core world vulnerability
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:01 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote: I'll have to reread the book again, but I thought the drones were spider drive equipped so they could sneak in so close without detection, but the ships that launched them were streak drive equipped.

The Streak Drive is just a hyper-generator on steroids. The Ghost class ships were Spider Drive ships and the Grazer Torpedoes were also Spider Drive equipped.

Remember the search for the "Hyper Ghost" conducted by a squadron of destroyers when the MAN ships first arrived? That "Hyper Ghost" was caused by a very slow downward translation from Hyper which implies that they were able to get into hyper in the first place, :)

There is truth to what you are saying about the streak, Harold. But there has to be more to it than that for them to survive as high as they get in the hyper bands. I seem to be missing a trick here or don't quite understand what I am reading.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:There is truth to what you are saying about the streak, Harold. But there has to be more to it than that for them to survive as high as they get in the hyper bands. I seem to be missing a trick here or don't quite understand what I am reading.

Don

Remember that the Streak Drive was described in textev as "a brute force approach?" As others have noted, it is twice the size of a normal military hyperdrive and is beefed up in a few crucial areas beyond that.

Mission of Honor
Chapter Four
wrote:
The streak drive represented a fundamental advance in interstellar travel, and there was no indication anyone else was even close to duplicating it. For centuries, the theta bands had represented an inviolable ceiling for hyper-capable ships. Everyone had known it was theoretically possible to go even higher, attain a still higher apparent normal-space velocity, yet no one had ever managed to design a ship which could crack the iota wall and survive. Incredible amounts of research had been invested in efforts to do just that, especially in the earlier days of hyper travel, but with a uniform lack of success. In the last few centuries, efforts to beat the iota barrier had waned, until the goal had been pretty much abandoned as one of those theoretically possible but practically unobtainable concepts.

But the Mesan Alignment hadn't abandoned it, and finally, after the better part of a hundred T-years of dogged research, they'd found the answer. It was, in many ways, a brute force approach, and it wouldn't have been possible even now without relatively recent advances (whose potential no one else seemed to have noticed) in related fields. And even with those other advances, it had almost doubled the size of conventional hyper generators. But it worked. Indeed, they'd broken not simply the iota wall, but the kappa wall, as well. Which meant the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The problem is not just getting to the Iota band, it's surviving the transition. Note that this problem gets worse and worse the higher you go:

"The second problem was that the interfaces between any two hyper bands are regions of highly unstable and powerful energy flows, creating the "dimensional shear" which had destroyed so many early hyperships, and dimensional shear becomes more violent as band levels increase. Moreover, even the relatively "safe" lower bands which could be reliably reached were characterized by powerful energy surges and flows—currents, almost—of highly-charged particles and warped gravity waves. Adequate shielding could hold the radiation effects in check, but a grav shear within any band could rip the strongest ship to pieces."

And from tHotQ
“Too high. We bounced off the iota wall a day out of Yeltsin.”
Despite himself, Alexander flinched. Dear God, she must have taken out all the interlocks. No ship had ever crossed into the iota bands and survived—no one even knew if a ship could survive there.

Return to Honorverse