Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Honorverse favorite passages

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite passages
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:And one more from "Storm from the Shadows". I'd have liked to have trimmed it a bit as it is rather long, but I just couldn't bring myself to do so).

Warning--Contains Dame Estelle, Khumalo, Therekov, so not responsible for re-actions by Roseandheather... 8-) :o :D

"I'm afraid, however," she continued then, "that we're not quite finished with the Commodore tonight."

She glanced at Terekhov, who looked back at her with an expression which could only have been described as wary.

"There is a phrase with which Queen's officers become altogether too familiar, ladies and gentlemen," she went on, her tone much more serious. "That phrase is 'the exigencies of the Service,' and what it means is that those men and women who have chosen to wear the Queen's uniform and to guard and protect all of us—you and me—frequently find their own lives being stepped upon by the demands of the service they have chosen to give. They do not simply risk life and limb for us, ladies and gentlemen. They also sacrifice the rest of their lives—sacrifice time as fathers and mothers, as wives and husbands. Commodore Terekhov was spared less than one T-week in Manticore before he was sent back to us. Less than one T-week, ladies and gentlemen, after all of the tremendous risks and dangers he and the men and women of HMS Hexapuma and the other ships of his squadron in Monica endured for all of us."

The huge ballroom was completely still, now. Completely hushed. Baroness Medusa's voice sounded clear and quiet against that backdrop of silence.

"There can be no true, adequate compensation for the sacrifices men and women in uniform make for the people they serve and protect. How does one set a price on the willingness to serve? How does one set a proper wage for the willingness to die to protect others? And how does one honor those who have honored their oaths, given the last true measure of devotion, in the service of their star nation and the belief in human dignity and human freedom?"

She paused in the silence, then shook her head.

"The truth is, that we cannot give them the compensation, the honor, they have so amply deserved of us. Yet whether what we can give them is what they deserve or not, we recognize our obligation to try. To try to show them, and everyone else, that we recognize the sacrifices they have made. That we understand how very much we owe them. And that they are to us pearls beyond price, men and women we cannot deserve yet must always thank God come to us anyway.

"Those were the men and women of HMS Hexapuma. Of HMS Warlock, HMS Vigilant, HMS Gallant, HMS Audacious, HMS Aegis, HMS Javelin, HMS Janissary, HMS Rondeau, HMS Aria, and HMS Volcano.

"We cannot individually honor those men and women. Too many of them are no longer here for us to honor, and most of those who survived are somewhere else this night, somewhere else in the Queen's uniform, serving her—and all of us—yet again as 'the exigencies of the Service' demand. But if we cannot individually honor each of them, we can honor all of them collectively in the person of the man who commanded them."

Aivars Terekhov looked straight before him, and it wasn't simple modesty. He was looking at something only he could see—the men and women of those ships. The faces no one would ever see again.

"Commodore Terekhov," Medusa said, turning to address him directly for the first time, "you were not aware that among the dispatches you carried when you returned to Spindle was a letter of instruction from Her Majesty to me. Please stand, Commodore."

Terekhov obeyed slowly.

"Come here, Commodore," she said quietly, and he walked across to her. As he did, Augustus Khumalo, Lemuel Sackett, and Emil Karlberg rose in turn and followed him. Sackett carried a small velvet case which had apparently been hidden under the table at his place. Karlberg carried a small cushion which had been similarly concealed.

The four of them came to a halt in front of Medusa, and Sackett presented the small case to her. She accepted it, but she also looked at Khumalo.

"Attention to orders!" the vice admiral's deep voice announced, and Helen felt herself coming to her feet in automatic response, accompanied by every other uniformed man and woman in that vast ballroom.

"Commodore Aivars Terekhov," Medusa said in a clear, carrying voice, "on the sixteenth day of February, 1921 Post Diaspora, units of the Royal Manticoran Navy under your command entered the Monica System, acting upon intelligence which you had developed consequent to your previous actions in the Split System and the Montana System. In the course of developing that intelligence, and of suppressing violent terrorist movements in both of those star systems, you had become aware of an additional, potentially disastrous threat to the citizens of those star systems then known as the Talbott Cluster and to the Star Kingdom of Manticore. Acting upon your own authority, you moved with the squadron under your command to Monica and there demanded the stand down of the ex-Solarian League Navy battlecruisers which had been delivered to the Union of Monica by parties hostile to the Star Kingdom who were determined to prevent the annexation of the star systems now known as the Talbott Quadrant by the Star Kingdom, for which the citizens of those star systems had freely and democratically petitioned.

"When the senior officer present of the Monican Navy refused to comply with your demand and opened fire upon your vessels, although surprised by the heavy volume, weight, range, and accuracy of that fire, and despite heavy damage and severe casualties, you and the units under your command successfully destroyed the military components of a massive industrial platform and nine of the battlecruisers in question, which were there moored. And, when subsequently attacked by three fully operational and modern battlecruisers, the six remaining units of your squadron engaged and destroyed all of their opponents.

"At the cost of sixty percent of the vessels and seventy-five percent of the personnel under your command, your squadron destroyed or neutralized all of the Solarian-built battlecruisers in the Monica System. Subsequently, although your surviving vessels were too severely damaged to withdraw from the system, you neutralized all remaining units of the Monican Navy, prevented the withdrawal or destruction of the two surviving Solarian battlecruisers, and maintained the status quo in the system for a full week, until relieved by friendly forces.

"It is now my duty, and my enormous honor, by the express direction of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth of Manticore, acting as Her Governor General for the Talbott Quadrant and Her personal representative, to present to you the Parliamentary Medal of Valor."

Helen inhaled sharply as Sackett opened the case and Medusa extracted the golden cross and starburst on its blue and white ribbon. Terekhov was much taller than she was, and she rose on tiptoe as he bowed to her so that she could slip the ribbon around his neck and adjust its fall. She positioned the gleaming medal carefully, then looked up at him and—in a gesture Helen was certain hadn't been formally choreographed—touched him very gently on the cheek.

"Her Majesty awards this medal to you, Commodore," she said, "both because you have so deeply and personally merited it, but also as a means of recognizing every man and woman who served with you in Monica. She asks you to wear this medal for them, as much as for yourself."

Terekhov nodded without speaking. Frankly, Helen doubted that he could have spoken at that moment. But Medusa wasn't done with him yet, and she nodded to Karlberg who stooped and placed his cushion on the floor.

"And now, Commodore, there's one more small matter of business which Her Majesty has requested that I take care of for her. Kneel, please."

Terekhov's nostrils flared as he inhaled sharply. Then he obeyed her, sinking to his knees on the cushion, and Augustus Khumalo drew his dress sword and extended it, hilt-first, to Baroness Medusa. She took it, looked at it for a moment, then looked down at the officer kneeling before her.

"By the authority vested in me as Her Majesty's Governor General for the Talbott Quadrant, and by Her express commission, acting for and in Her stead," her quiet voice carried with crystal clarity throughout the ballroom, "I bestow upon you the rank, title, prerogatives, and duties of Knight Companion of the Order of King Roger."

The gleaming steel touched his right shoulder, then his left, then went back to his right once more. She let it rest there for a moment, her eyes meeting his, then she smiled and stepped back, lowering the sword.

"Rise, Sir Aivars," she said softly in the hush before the cheers began, "and may your future actions as faithfully uphold the honor of the Queen as your past."

*falls into dead swoon and hits ground with thud*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:*falls into dead swoon and hits ground with thud*

That wasn't too bad of a reaction now was it? :D
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Amaroq wrote:

Please quote the source of your signature, (Winston Churchill, The Second World War, Vol I: The Gathering Storm)

T&R
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote:
Amaroq wrote:

Please quote the source of your signature, (Winston Churchill, The Second World War, Vol I: The Gathering Storm)

T&R
GJS

I know it's originally from Churchill but I chose it because it's the motto of the RMN Naval Academy. And it's awesome.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:

I could provide more histrionics, if you like - or I could just drown you all in quotes of literally every time Estelle OR Augustus has ever appeared on the page... :twisted: :lol:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:I could provide more histrionics, if you like - or I could just drown you all in quotes of literally every time Estelle OR Augustus has ever appeared on the page... :twisted: :lol:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, I beg of thee, please don't!!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:11 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

hanuman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I could provide more histrionics, if you like - or I could just drown you all in quotes of literally every time Estelle OR Augustus has ever appeared on the page... :twisted: :lol:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, I beg of thee, please don't!!!!

*files away "massive amounts of Khumalo and/or Matsuko posts" under "ways to punish hanuman"* :twisted:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

quote]

*files away "massive amounts of Khumalo and/or Matsuko posts" under "ways to punish hanuman"* :twisted:[/quote]

I will be happy to help find them.
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:*files away "massive amounts of Khumalo and/or Matsuko posts" under "ways to punish hanuman"* :twisted:

Let's just pull one of those babies out of there... It's quick and painless, I assure you. Just Dame Estelle smacking down Tonkovic.

Whatever the outcome of the annexation debate, Dame Estelle Matsuko knew she personally had just made an implacable, lifelong enemy. Which was fine with her. She believed firmly that the best measure of anyone's character was the enemies they made.

Ain't that the truth.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:36 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
roseandheather wrote:*files away "massive amounts of Khumalo and/or Matsuko posts" under "ways to punish hanuman"* :twisted:

Let's just pull one of those babies out of there... It's quick and painless, I assure you. Just Dame Estelle smacking down Tonkovic.

Whatever the outcome of the annexation debate, Dame Estelle Matsuko knew she personally had just made an implacable, lifelong enemy. Which was fine with her. She believed firmly that the best measure of anyone's character was the enemies they made.

Ain't that the truth.

I think, if I ever actually met her in person, that my instinctive reaction to Dame Estelle Matsuko would be the deepest curtsey of my life and the complete loss of any ability to put words together.

Followed by a rapid retreat to a private area and an incredibly loud squealing noise. :lol:

Isn't she just glorious??
~*~

Javier & Eloise

Return to Honorverse