Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests

Honorverse favorite passages

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite passages
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping, RE Last view in "Shadow of Saganami", Chapter 1--
cthia wrote:I love the passage SharkHunter. Actually it gives me goose bumps.

But how is it a spoiler?
I was rereading the forum rules and I think it's supposed to be considered a spoiler to those who haven't read that particular book yet. I haven't quite figured out real specifically yet when we're supposed to alert or not, however. Battle or scene outcomes perhaps?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Vince   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping, RE Last view in "Shadow of Saganami", Chapter 1--
cthia wrote:I love the passage SharkHunter. Actually it gives me goose bumps.

But how is it a spoiler?
I was rereading the forum rules and I think it's supposed to be considered a spoiler to those who haven't read that particular book yet. I haven't quite figured out real specifically yet when we're supposed to alert or not, however. Battle or scene outcomes perhaps?
Duckk in Forum Rules wrote:Snerks/Spoilers
- Snerks/snerking is revealing contents of upcoming books before it is released. Spoilers is revealing contents of books which have been released.
- For specific content on a book that has yet to be released, or for a book that has been released in paper format (either hardcover or softcover, whichever is first) for less than a month, all discussion topics shall have in the topic title "SPOILERS" somewhere in it. I'm not expecting people to figure out exactly when a month is up, but just keep it in mind before you can drop the SPOILER warning. By specific content I am including the snippets Eric Flint provides on his website (and is usually crossposted to the Bar and here).
- Any speculative topics and and topics concerning books that have been out for more than 1 month will not be required to have anything in their topic titles.
- Unmarked spoilers can be reported to the moderator for remedial action.
Boldface is my emphasis.

So anything you want to post from a source that has been out for a full calendar month* in dead-tree format (hardback, trade paperback or paperback) does not need to be marked with SPOILER.

If someone asks a question that is answered in a later book which they have apparently not yet read, you might want to say the answer to their question is in whatever the title of the book is to avoid spoiling the enjoyment for them, just to be polite.

But it isn't a violation of forum rules to answer the question, unless the source material has not been released in dead-tree format for at least a month.

* Note that the release date is the United States release date. At the time of this post, every book and story released in the Honorverse has been out for more than a month in the US.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Vince says it very well, I would just add that folks (like cthia) who have not read the entire compendium do take the risks of having 'spoilers' dropped on them, especially in threads like this. For example, cthia is congent on much of the Honorverse, but is apparently reading Cauldron of Ghosts before he's read Crown of Slaves/Torch of Freedom, so he's encoutering spoilers aplenty.

Well, you pays your money and you takes your chances. 8-) :)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Vince says it very well, I would just add that folks (like cthia) who have not read the entire compendium do take the risks of having 'spoilers' dropped on them, especially in threads like this. For example, cthia is congent on much of the Honorverse, but is apparently reading Cauldron of Ghosts before he's read Crown of Slaves/Torch of Freedom, so he's encoutering spoilers aplenty.

Well, you pays your money and you takes your chances. 8-) :)

Whereas I do appreciate any concern, it is ok to post spoilers without any consideration for me. Actually, what it does is intensifies my wish to read that story. Which is why I'm reading Cauldron now, because of the oh so many tantalizing posts. All which I've very much appreciated and enjoyed. I view spoilers as movie trailers of a sort. :D

Besides, it wouldn't be fair to withhold all of your fun just because I'm a busy Johnny come lately.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

OK, one more this week, and a little off-beat, since I do not know if it from the MWW or Bureau 6. I'll let you decide.

From House of Steel, the story behind the Second winner of the Medal of Valor (Edward Saganami was the first) and if RFC ever wants to write this short story....

...Returned to fleet duty in 1700 PD and promoted to Rear Admiral of the Red in 1705, D’Orville was dispatched with a small but powerful squadron to the Ingeborg System in 1710, in response to a request from the Terre Haute System government. Terre Haute had received reports that the current Ingeborg regime was developing weaponized nanotech which it intended to employ against Terre Haute.

D’Orville proceeded to Ingeborg, where the authorities initially denied any interest in nanotech research. D’Orville declined to believe them and pressed politely, but very firmly, for a face-to-face meeting with Ingeborg System President for Life Adrian Lipsky. After repeated attempts to delay, Lipsky agreed to meet with her aboard Ingeborg Alpha, the largest of the star system’s three artificial habitats.

Unknown to D’Orville, the laboratory in which the weapon was being developed had lost containment, and the weapon had already contaminated and virtually depopulated the orbital habitat which had contained it, killing over 350,000 people. President for Life Lipsky, who had no intention of admitting that fact to D’Orville (primarily for fear the Solarian League might construe the development of an obviously genocidal weapon as a violation of the Eridani Edict), hoped to meet with D’Orville, convince her that Terre Haute’s fears had been misplaced, send her on her way, and then arrange a plausible “accident” to destroy the contaminated habitat and any evidence of his government’s actions.

Unfortunately for Lipsky, Ingeborg Alpha had also been contaminated, although that fact became evident only after D’Orville and her security detachment had boarded the habitat to meet with the system president. Lipsky immediately attempted to flee the habitat, but was prevented by D’Orville, who took command of the frantic effort to rescue as many of Ingeborg Alpha’s two million plus inhabitants as possible. Although urged by her flag captain to evacuate herself, she remained personally on-station, using her own fleet personnel, small craft, and every available civilian Ingeborgian vessel to evacuate personnel from the path of the nano weapon while simultaneously coordinating the effort to contain and confine the contagion.

Approximately two thirds of Ingeborg Alpha’s personnel had been removed from the habitat when the nanotech breached the final firewall and containment failed. D’Orville’s final message to her flag captain was to destroy the entire habitat with a saturation nuclear strike to ensure the total destruction of the nano weapon. For her rescue of 1.4 million Ingeborgian civilians at the cost of her own life, Ellen D’Orville became the second recipient of the Parliamentary Medal of Valor.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:OK, one more this week, and a little off-beat, since I do not know if it from the MWW or Bureau 6. I'll let you decide.

From House of Steel, the story behind the Second winner of the Medal of Valor (Edward Saganami was the first) and if RFC ever wants to write this short story....

...Returned to fleet duty in 1700 PD and promoted to Rear Admiral of the Red in 1705, D’Orville was dispatched with a small but powerful squadron to the Ingeborg System in 1710, in response to a request from the Terre Haute System government. Terre Haute had received reports that the current Ingeborg regime was developing weaponized nanotech which it intended to employ against Terre Haute.

D’Orville proceeded to Ingeborg, where the authorities initially denied any interest in nanotech research. D’Orville declined to believe them and pressed politely, but very firmly, for a face-to-face meeting with Ingeborg System President for Life Adrian Lipsky. After repeated attempts to delay, Lipsky agreed to meet with her aboard Ingeborg Alpha, the largest of the star system’s three artificial habitats.

Unknown to D’Orville, the laboratory in which the weapon was being developed had lost containment, and the weapon had already contaminated and virtually depopulated the orbital habitat which had contained it, killing over 350,000 people. President for Life Lipsky, who had no intention of admitting that fact to D’Orville (primarily for fear the Solarian League might construe the development of an obviously genocidal weapon as a violation of the Eridani Edict), hoped to meet with D’Orville, convince her that Terre Haute’s fears had been misplaced, send her on her way, and then arrange a plausible “accident” to destroy the contaminated habitat and any evidence of his government’s actions.

Unfortunately for Lipsky, Ingeborg Alpha had also been contaminated, although that fact became evident only after D’Orville and her security detachment had boarded the habitat to meet with the system president. Lipsky immediately attempted to flee the habitat, but was prevented by D’Orville, who took command of the frantic effort to rescue as many of Ingeborg Alpha’s two million plus inhabitants as possible. Although urged by her flag captain to evacuate herself, she remained personally on-station, using her own fleet personnel, small craft, and every available civilian Ingeborgian vessel to evacuate personnel from the path of the nano weapon while simultaneously coordinating the effort to contain and confine the contagion.

Approximately two thirds of Ingeborg Alpha’s personnel had been removed from the habitat when the nanotech breached the final firewall and containment failed. D’Orville’s final message to her flag captain was to destroy the entire habitat with a saturation nuclear strike to ensure the total destruction of the nano weapon. For her rescue of 1.4 million Ingeborgian civilians at the cost of her own life, Ellen D’Orville became the second recipient of the Parliamentary Medal of Valor.

I would give my eyeteeth for a novel (or even a short story!) about Ellen D'Orville.

Which should give you all a fairly sizable hint as to what I'd trade for a series all about Grayson...

...never mind Haven.

:mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:19 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:I would give my eyeteeth for a novel (or even a short story!) about Ellen D'Orville.

Which should give you all a fairly sizable hint as to what I'd trade for a series all about Grayson...

...never mind Haven.

I'm confident that if we all get prolong, we would be able to get RFC to write up the Grayson Civil War within a couple of decades. Alas, we all read and write in the shadow of mortality.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:OK, one more this week, and a little off-beat, since I do not know if it from the MWW or Bureau 6. I'll let you decide.

roseandheather wrote:I would give my eyeteeth for a novel (or even a short story!) about Ellen D'Orville.

...never mind Haven.

Case in point as to certain posts - spoilers or no for me, intensifies my need to read.

I was in tears by end of this passage. Oh so choked up. As so many of his posts are so fond of doing.

Thanks for this trailer Hutch. 'sigh'

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Yow   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:41 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

“He's not even an 'agent' at all, Sir," Thandi half-protested. "Nowadays he's supposed to be a cop."
Captain and lieutenant commander, simultaneously, bestowed a certain look upon the most junior lieutenant on Rozsak's staff.
"Okay, you don't have to rub it in," she grumbled. "Sir and Sir. I was born yesterday, almost.”
~CoS

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Target selection a la Ginny Usher...

--snippping--

Crown of Slaves wrote:"...She even managed—barely—to stay on her feet when, at one point, she stumbled out of one of her high-heeled sandals. But only by kicking off the other, forcing Victor to delay a moment while he scooped up the abandoned footwear.

That moment's delay prevented him from stopping Ginny before she could commit her Major Diplomatic Incident of the Minor Variety.
Ginny staggered up to the table, bumped against it, braced herself on spread hands, and bestowed a green-faced smile on the six diplomats assembled at the table.

They all stared back at her, frowning slightly as diplomats will do when in the presence of gaucherie.

"Don't believe 've been introduced," Ginny blurted out. Words were at a premium now, running out like water on a beach before

the tidal wave hits. "You people really make me sick."

The tsunami arrived, then, washing across five of the six before it was done. Some portion of Victor's brain decided he was witnessing a miracle. Two miracles, in fact—first, that any of the six diplomats had emerged unscathed, given the volume of the torrent and its volcanic energy; second, that a woman as small as Ginny could produce such a volume in the first place."
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse