Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Crown of Slaves or Wages of Sin

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Crown of Slaves or Wages of Sin
Post by drothgery   » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 am

drothgery
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I thought the third Saganami Island book was already out? At aleast according to Amazon it is and I could swear that I've seen copies of Shadow of Freedom at the local bookstores.
Though only the first of them is a side story any real sense. Storm from the Shadows mostly dropped the notion of telling most of the story from the viewpoint of the middies and junior officers and brought in Mike to be the main viewpoint character and top Admiral in the field, and got so tightly woven with the 'mainline' that Shadow of Freedom and A Rising Thunder started off as one book.

It's possible to skip the Torch books without being hopelessly confused. It's not possible to skip the Shadows books.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Joat42
Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I thought the third Saganami Island book was already out? At aleast according to Amazon it is and I could swear that I've seen copies of Shadow of Freedom at the local bookstores.
Though only the first of them is a side story any real sense. Storm from the Shadows mostly dropped the notion of telling most of the story from the viewpoint of the middies and junior officers and brought in Mike to be the main viewpoint character and top Admiral in the field, and got so tightly woven with the 'mainline' that Shadow of Freedom and A Rising Thunder started off as one book.

It's possible to skip the Torch books without being hopelessly confused. It's not possible to skip the Shadows books.

Well, we all know that the story has become somewhat of a sprawling "monstrosity" ;) and for newcomers to Honorverse it can be a bit daunting to get a grasp on what books to read and in what order.

At the same time it's also very entertaining to read about characters that get properly fleshed out in parallel storylines that otherwise only would be shallow extras in the main story.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:59 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:The four spin off series are;

Crown of Slaves (3 Books)

Saganami Island (2 Books)

Star Kingdom (3 Books)

Manticore Ascendant (1 Book Forthcoming)

Mind telling me more about the last one? I haven't been around all that long, so I haven't seen any news on yet another spin-off series. Please.
Post by drothgery   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:23 pm

drothgery
Admiral

hanuman wrote:Mind telling me more about the last one? I haven't been around all that long, so I haven't seen any news on yet another spin-off series. Please.

Here's a link to the e-Arc:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2281-a-call ... -earc.aspx ; you can read the first 8 chapters and/or buy the pre-edited version.
Post by hanuman   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:31 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
hanuman wrote:Mind telling me more about the last one? I haven't been around all that long, so I haven't seen any news on yet another spin-off series. Please.

Here's a link to the e-Arc:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2281-a-call ... -earc.aspx ; you can read the first 8 chapters and/or buy the pre-edited version.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Return to Honorverse