Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Sonja Hemphill

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Sonja Hemphill
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:21 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Yow wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I wonder if there will ever be a short story set during her stint as a starship captain which was mentioned in House of Steel?
Replete with tactlessness.
“She’s just being Sonja,” Adcock sighed. “Tactless, brilliant, opinionated, tactless, irritating, energetic, tactless, bouncy, confident, tactless, over enthusiastic, overly focused—did I mention tactless?”

I have a sneaking suspicion that young Sonja and I would get along like a house afire. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:
I wonder if there will ever be a short story set during her stint as a starship captain which was mentioned in House of Steel?
“She’s just being Sonja,” Adcock sighed. “Tactless, brilliant, opinionated, tactless, irritating, energetic, tactless, bouncy, confident, tactless, over enthusiastic, overly focused—did I mention tactless?”

In other words, she was quite similar to Shannon. 'Look ... I'm busy. I got things to do. People to see. Stuff to build. No time for shit on my mind.' :roll:

Same reason Shannon couldn't remember to say 'Citizen.'

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Yow   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I seem to remember hearing that she'd shed that moniker some time before AAC, but I can't back it up with quotes. :( I hope so, though!

PalmerSperry wrote:Only with the Manticorans ... I suspect she remained Horrible Hemphill for the Havenites (at least those of them who know of her) for some time afterwards?

Guys, I'm really glad to see Sonja getting her due, and there's no doubt that she played a huge role in the SKM's weapons development, but let's not forget that she was only one of the many people involved in that effort, including, oh . . . I dunno, some guy named Adcock and another joker whose last name was Winston or Winker or something like that. :lol:

:D yes, yes, yes these are undisputed by myself, but "Horrible Hemphill"!
Admiral Adcock wasn't known as the Astounding Adcock or the King as Winker Winston. Sonja's "Horrible Hemphill" is the mostest bestest statement ever immediately after Shannon's "Oops". These two deserve their names emblazoned on board their brainchilds.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Yow wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I wonder if there will ever be a short story set during her stint as a starship captain which was mentioned in House of Steel?

The above during a port call in Erehwon would be best. :twisted:

dreamrider
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:...Sonja's "Horrible Hemphill" is the mostest bestest statement ever immediately after Shannon's "Oops". These two deserve their names emblazoned on board their brainchilds.

The RHNS Oops :shock:

:lol: It would be appropriate, but I don't think so...
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Yow   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
Yow wrote:...Sonja's "Horrible Hemphill" is the mostest bestest statement ever immediately after Shannon's "Oops". These two deserve their names emblazoned on board their brainchilds.

Face palm!!! No, no, no. I misspoke.
RHNS Shannon Foraker
"Oops"
You're so dead :lol: (not you Weird Harold)

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Yow wrote:
Face palm!!! No, no, no. I misspoke.
RHNS Shannon Foraker
"Oops"
You're so dead :lol: (not you Weird Harold)

I don't know, you were on to something with that "Oops." Just needs a slight adjustment from Blupers ................ RHNS Citizen Oops.

There, now it's perfect, and Shannon remembered to say it this time.

Last edited by cthia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by biochem   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Yow wrote:

In this case patronage was actually a good thing. In Sonja's early career the RMN was much more political than it is now (the requirements of war do a wonderful job of pruning that particular problem). With her tactlessness, she is bound to have offended any number of politically minded superior officers and for those types that counts far more than technical competence. Without her family connections, all those negative efficiency reports could well have seen her stranded on half pay before she cleared ensign! As it was, no political type would want to risk offending her family and thus wouldn't scuttle her career over offended dignity in the same way they would scuttle the career of an ordinary unconnected officer.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:40 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

roseandheather wrote:
Yow wrote:~Eloise Pritchart~ "...With your permission, now that the original treaty’s been approved at both ends, I’d like to go ahead and get Admiral Hemphill’s mission off to Bolthole as soon as possible..."
I imagine Admiral Sonja Hemphill turning to her loyal henchmen and joyfully hollering out "Roadtrip!"

You have an excellent grasp of Sonja Hemphill's character. :mrgreen:

And I can totally picture her having to squash the impulse to say, "Are we there yet?" every two hours. And she and Shannon becoming instant best friends. And Sonja basically clapping in glee when she sees the playground that is Bolthole. And she and Shannon being basically inseparable the entire time they're there, and muttering together about things that fly right over everybody else's head. And unintentional sleepovers because they're on Shannon's couch going over something or other and they literally fall asleep over their pads. And they wake up with Sonja's head on Shannon's shoulder and look at each other and blush like mad and then hurry to go back to work because...

...I think I'm getting a little carried away here. :mrgreen: 8-)

Yow wrote:And I can totally picture her having to squash the impulse to say, "Are we there yet?" every two hours. And she and Shannon becoming instant best friends. And Sonja basically clapping in glee when she sees the playground that is Bolthole. And she and Shannon being basically inseparable the entire time they're there, and muttering together about things that fly right over everybody else's head. And unintentional sleepovers because they're on Shannon's couch going over something or other and they literally fall asleep over their pads. And they wake up with Sonja's head on Shannon's shoulder and look at each other and blush like mad and then hurry to go back to work because...

...I think I'm getting a little carried away here. :mrgreen: 8-)
...little carried Away? Getting carried away is when the Galactic-duo have their first real quarrel. Five will probably be like "hide and lock the Tactical teams up for our own safety! Somebody, quick! Toss a technical brief between the two and run!
The make up moment should really be productive though. :P[/quote]
YES!! Only problem is you need to make that two tech briefs, so they aren't fighting over one of them.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:48 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:I wonder if there will ever be a short story set during her stint as a starship captain which was mentioned in House of Steel?Replete with tactlessness.

In other words, she was quite similar to Shannon. 'Look ... I'm busy. I got things to do. People to see. Stuff to build. No time for shit on my mind.' :roll:

Same reason Shannon couldn't remember to say 'Citizen.'

Yes! You make perfect sense.

Return to Honorverse