Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drothgery, penny and 50 guests

A Beautiful Friendship - excellent "tween"/teen/young adult

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
A Beautiful Friendship - excellent "tween"/teen/young adult
Post by windskisong   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm

windskisong
Midshipman

My daughter recently got hooked on the A Beautiful Friendship series after seeing me subtly leaving it throughout the house wherever she might encounter it (ok, not so subtle, but it got her away from those tedious fantasy books and into decent sci-fi).

With the recent success of teen/tween/young adult adventure movies, is there any interest in doing a series (assuming the success of the first movie) based on the ABF series?

Thanks!
Re: A Beautiful Friendship - excellent "tween"/teen/young ad
Post by Borealis   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

There are already 3 books in this series. A Beautiful Friendship, Fire Season, and Treecat Wars. There is plenty of room for continuing this series, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more books in the future.

On another note, this topic doesn't really fall into the Evergreen sub-forum. Duckk should be move it into the main Honorverse forum as soon as he gets the chance.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

windskisong wrote:My daughter recently got hooked on the A Beautiful Friendship series after seeing me subtly leaving it throughout the house wherever she might encounter it (ok, not so subtle, but it got her away from those tedious fantasy books and into decent sci-fi).

With the recent success of teen/tween/young adult adventure movies, is there any interest in doing a series (assuming the success of the first movie) based on the ABF series?

Thanks!

Oi! I cut my teeth on YA fantasy, I'll have you know! In fact, I can directly blame Tamora Pierce for giving me a weakness for exactly the kinds of characters I love most here in the Honorverse!! :mrgreen:

That said, I'd definitely rank the Stephanie series as some of the best YA lit I've ever read, and will probably be leaving stray copies of it laying around for my children whenever I get around to having them. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:24 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Recently in another thread David said they hope to come back to them sometime, but there are no more actually on the schedule in the immediate future.

(dr comment: David's writing/collab schedule seems to stay fairly firm for about 2 years out from whatever moment he is commenting.)

He said there was combination of too much pressure of other major projects, and limited financial return for Baen.

Looks like for the next year to 2 years, the Travis Long/early RMN collab w/ Tim Zahn will take up those slots in the publication queue.

dreamrider
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Hers were actually some of the decent fantasy books at the teen section at my libray, that wasnt just a one off. Interestingly enough, she sat pretty much slap beside Terry pratchett, so between them, Weber, and clarkem asimov, Brooks, adn someone else whose name i forget at the moment, i had several vast universes to explore, each laid out with such attention to detail and continuity, that i was never really bored. :)

roseandheather wrote:
windskisong wrote:My daughter recently got hooked on the A Beautiful Friendship series after seeing me subtly leaving it throughout the house wherever she might encounter it (ok, not so subtle, but it got her away from those tedious fantasy books and into decent sci-fi).

Thanks!

Oi! I cut my teeth on YA fantasy, I'll have you know! In fact, I can directly blame Tamora Pierce for giving me a weakness for exactly the kinds of characters I love most here in the Honorverse!! :mrgreen:

That said, I'd definitely rank the Stephanie series as some of the best YA lit I've ever read, and will probably be leaving stray copies of it laying around for my children whenever I get around to having them. 8-)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

dreamrider wrote:Recently in another thread David said they hope to come back to them sometime, but there are no more actually on the schedule in the immediate future.

(dr comment: David's writing/collab schedule seems to stay fairly firm for about 2 years out from whatever moment he is commenting.)

He said there was combination of too much pressure of other major projects, and limited financial return for Baen.

Looks like for the next year to 2 years, the Travis Long/early RMN collab w/ Tim Zahn will take up those slots in the publication queue.

dreamrider

If you want more of them, pester Toni and Baen about it. :) I'm sure if there was enough pressure they could be moved up in terms of what goes into . . . wait for it . . . waaaait for it . . . into My Copious Free Time. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

YOU have free time? Time in whihc you arent slaving away on another book for us? Im shocked, shocked i tell you......

Obviously, we arent cracking the whip hard enough... :D

Seriously though, you really spoil us with the sheer amount of work you put into each book, and the sheer amount of books/series you put out for your fans. thank you so much for all the entertainment and ideas over the years david.

runsforcelery wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Recently in another thread David said they hope to come back to them sometime, but there are no more actually on the schedule in the immediate future.

dreamrider

If you want more of them, pester Toni and Baen about it. :) I'm sure if there was enough pressure they could be moved up in terms of what goes into . . . wait for it . . . waaaait for it . . . into My Copious Free Time. :lol:
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:19 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Spacekiwi wrote:YOU have free time? Time in whihc you arent slaving away on another book for us? Im shocked, shocked i tell you......

Obviously, we arent cracking the whip hard enough... :D

Seriously though, you really spoil us with the sheer amount of work you put into each book, and the sheer amount of books/series you put out for your fans. thank you so much for all the entertainment and ideas over the years david.

runsforcelery wrote:If you want more of them, pester Toni and Baen about it. :) I'm sure if there was enough pressure they could be moved up in terms of what goes into . . . wait for it . . . waaaait for it . . . into My Copious Free Time. :lol:

Not to mention the time he spends *here* offering corrections, clarifying his thinking in why he did certain things in certain ways, and generally interacting with the fans. That certainly takes up valuable time as well.

Especially when he makes his *long* posts - except for the three to Michael :lol:
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:14 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

If we want him spend less time writing long posts here, to realign wrong thinking, then we need to stop making outrageous and offensive assumptions unsupported by the last 20 years of his life's work...

...and you trolls know who you are! <grin>

dreamrider

Return to Honorverse