Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests

system energy defense

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: system energy defense
Post by dreamrider   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:05 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

You haven't read Doc Smith either...have you?

<grin>

dreamrider
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:11 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

RogueV, one of the key bits of handwVium tech was the machine that completely negated inertia. No inertia, no stress. It also allowed FTL traven in normal space.

So the idea was that you select a planet or two with the right ineria, fly it into position at fTL speeds and turn the machine off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:14 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I loved the Doc Smith books 40+ years ago, but best not to revisit them today (leave the dream intact). Standards have improved in science accuracy, plot, and social responsibility.
John Ringo's Troy series does have lots of well researched focused sun power beam action. The Honorverse ship acceleration rates would probably negate it though, as you'd never hit a manoeuvring ship, and the static facilities would be taken out by a fractional c missile.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:31 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Someone on the bar gave the optical calculations and the mirrors won't actually work. I forget exactly why, but essentially you can't get the focus needed. It's still fun.
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:04 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

dreamrider wrote:You haven't read Doc Smith either...have you?

<grin>

dreamrider

I may have read one 20 years or so ago. I know I saw it in the public library where I used to live but don't recall if I checked it out or planned to but didn't since that was one of my last trips there.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One would think that the nano virus is an Eridani Edict violation if it is ever used on a civilian. Not to say it has been, but it could be construed as such if it was. On the other hand the ofs Kew strikes in SoF would appear to be. As well as those on Mesa in CoG.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Thinking about this some more perhaps the beam could be devised to sweep a system as a big radar like reflection devise. Wouldn't be perfect but it could be an enhanced security feature for a system. Super radar or the like.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:One would think that the nano virus is an Eridani Edict violation if it is ever used on a civilian. Not to say it has been, but it could be construed as such if it was. On the other hand the ofs Kew strikes in SoF would appear to be. As well as those on Mesa in CoG.

No, it most definitely cannot in any way be construed as an Eridani Edict violation. The Eridani Edict prohibits the use of weapons of mass destruction on planetary surfaces in certain conditions. The nano virus is not a weapon of mass destruction. The virus has to be carefully designed for a specific, single human being. It cannot be dispersed to masses of people. So it can only infect one person, and not just any person. Even if the infected person were programmed to set off a nuclear bomb or similar weapon to kill masses of people, it would be the deliberate use of that weapon which would be an Eridani Edict violation, not the virus itself.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Thinking about this some more perhaps the beam could be devised to sweep a system as a big radar like reflection devise. Wouldn't be perfect but it could be an enhanced security feature for a system. Super radar or the like.

Once again you obviously have no idea how big space is. How wide a beam are you suggesting? What range do you want to detect anything? The longer the range, the narrower the beam will have to be to get a measurable signal, and thus the more sweeps you will have to make to cover the entire sky. And because of the long time for the signal to go out and come back, the detector waiting for a reflected signal would have to be watching the entire sky at the same time, rather than a narrow slice like a radar dish does. That drastically reduces the sensitivity of the system, which means you need even narrower beams to get a detectable signal back.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by jgnfld   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:One would think that the nano virus is an Eridani Edict violation if it is ever used on a civilian. Not to say it has been, but it could be construed as such if it was. On the other hand the ofs Kew strikes in SoF would appear to be. As well as those on Mesa in CoG.

The Eridani Edict? No.

The Beowulf Code? Now that is a VERY different matter!

Return to Honorverse