Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

system energy defense

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
system energy defense
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Could a grav lensing from the central star/stars be used to make a super laser that blasts any ships that invade. Kind of like the Die Another Day - Bond movie? The central star should have enough power to reach out past the hyper limit.
Post by tonyz   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:13 am

tonyz
Lieutenant Commander

Lord Skimper wrote:Could a grav lensing from the central star/stars be used to make a super laser that blasts any ships that invade. Kind of like the Die Another Day - Bond movie? The central star should have enough power to reach out past the hyper limit.

You mean like the sunbeam from the Lensman books?

Probably the necessary engineering is beyond te present scale of Honorverse technology, though you might google the term "Nicoll-Dyson laser" and see what kind of fevered imaginations that brings up...
Re: system energy defense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:16 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Doc E.E. Smith's Sunbeam :D

But I'm betting no; not in the Honorverse.

[Edit: Darn it, tonyz beat me to it.]
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:17 pm

namelessfly

How about the "meteor defense" from Ringworld?
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:19 pm

namelessfly

Raw power and beam collimationmight not be a problem with Honorvse technology.

However; scoring a hit on an erratically maneuvering target light minutes away would be futile.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

tonyz wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Could a grav lensing from the central star/stars be used to make a super laser that blasts any ships that invade. Kind of like the Die Another Day - Bond movie? The central star should have enough power to reach out past the hyper limit.

You mean like the sunbeam from the Lensman books?

Probably the necessary engineering is beyond te present scale of Honorverse technology, though you might google the term "Nicoll-Dyson laser" and see what kind of fevered imaginations that brings up...

IIRC, Larry Niven's Ringworld had something like this (although I think it depended on the sun flaring to provide the necessary energy).

But yeah, Doc Smith had lots of hyper-powered weapons in his series.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:06 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
IIRC, Larry Niven's Ringworld had something like this (although I think it depended on the sun flaring to provide the necessary energy).

But just to be clear, planetary negaspheres, or the offensive use of free planets, are definitely violations of the Eridani Edict.

;)
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:16 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

C'mon guys, don't torture him. I doubt he's ever heard of a Lensman.

dreamrider
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The most amazing thing about the Lensmen series is that Doc finished seven books. A little bit known for starting things and not finishing them was ole Doc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
Hutch wrote:

But just to be clear, planetary negaspheres, or the offensive use of free planets, are definitely violations of the Eridani Edict.

;)

Honestly even if someone built a planet thrower the planets it fired would probably be shattered well before it reached the target system. As soon as they notice it coming, which I'm pretty sure would be years before it arrived, anyone wit half a brain would star pouring high-G KEW and nuclear contact missiles into it from the direction its traveling thus greatly increasing the force of the strikes. That would most likely shatter it but than you have time to blast any chunks heading for inhabited systems down before they arrive.

Return to Honorverse