Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests

Things that made me chuckle while reading

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Things that made me chuckle while reading
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
cthia wrote:In MoH

A poor ensign has the watch as Admiral Harrington's ship docks, following centuries of tradition he begins to follow protocol. He stops, befuddled in his tracks as the Queen herself follows Honor out of the ship. Poor sap, nothing in the manual that covers what to do addressing this kind of firepower. Poor ensign didn't know whether to salute, shit, grovel or piss his pants.
Oh, the manual does cover it -- more sideboys, basically. It's hardly the first time the Queen has boarded one of her ships, after all. The kid just wasn't given a heads-up to turn to that page of the manual. (The ship's captain would probably have appreciated notification also.)

[Added:] Eloise Pritchart had boarded earlier ... "Haven arriving!" How many sideboys does a then-enemy head-of-state rate?

But was she technically an enemy head of state? After all, the peace talks had been going fairly well before Operation The Alignment Are Bastards hit Manticore...

You have to pity Honor's crew. I mean, I know I'd be freaking out if the best part of the governments of two separate star nations were on board my ship... :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by SWM   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:26 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I've often wondered just how many centuries out of date, how much of a weight disadvantage, or more likely both the ship models in the OpFORs for the Crusher simulators had to be downgraded to before Santino and Young could pass.

Actually, I expect that both of them were perfectly competent to command--when they knew it was a simulation.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Bill Woods   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:In MoH
A poor ensign has the watch as Admiral Harrington's ship docks, following centuries of tradition he begins to follow protocol. He stops, befuddled in his tracks as the Queen herself follows Honor out of the ship. Poor sap, nothing in the manual that covers what to do addressing this kind of firepower. Poor ensign didn't know whether to salute, shit, grovel or piss his pants.
Bill Woods wrote: Oh, the manual does cover it -- more sideboys, basically. It's hardly the first time the Queen has boarded one of her ships, after all. The kid just wasn't given a heads-up to turn to that page of the manual. (The ship's captain would probably have appreciated notification also.)

[Added:] Eloise Pritchart had boarded earlier ... "Haven arriving!" How many sideboys does a then-enemy head-of-state rate?
roseandheather wrote:But was she technically an enemy head of state? After all, the peace talks had been going fairly well before Operation The Alignment Are Bastards hit Manticore...
Oh, yeah, technically. Demoted to #3 on the list of threats, but until there's a deal, still an official enemy.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by hvb   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:52 am

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yep, cowardice being the hardest ting to test for in an exercise, since you know it's an exercise.

Or hardest things I should maybe write, as the two examples are not quite comparable: Santino's cowardice was based on the fear of loosing face, while Young threw his reputation to the winds to save his hide.

As for the Ensign (j.g.) bit, I would have though of someone on their middie cruise as Ensign (provisional) or Ensign (acting):
Handed the responsibilities, and (provisionally) the respect, of an Ensign; thus giving them the opportunity to prove or disprove their deserving either.

"We'll treat you as if you deserve it, now prove you do."

SWM wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I've often wondered just how many centuries out of date, how much of a weight disadvantage, or more likely both the ship models in the OpFORs for the Crusher simulators had to be downgraded to before Santino and Young could pass.

Actually, I expect that both of them were perfectly competent to command--when they knew it was a simulation.
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:[Added:] Eloise Pritchart had boarded earlier ... "Haven arriving!" How many sideboys does a then-enemy head-of-state rate?

Six side boys, plus two Marines?

Chuckle-worthy moments: War Maiden's XO reading Santino the riot act.
-------------------
If a business tries something that doesn't work, they have to stop doing it or they will go broke. If the government tries something that doesn't work, they will just keep shoveling our money into it forever.

Protocol is protocol. It recognizes no differences, as long as there not actually shooting in the room.

Sooo...
Foreign head of state...same as the Queen.

In the weird world of diplomacy, protocol, and one-up-manship, that pinch of 'honor' is even more important if happens to be an 'opposing' head-of-state.

dreamrider
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

hvb wrote:Yep, cowardice being the hardest ting to test for in an exercise, since you know it's an exercise.

Or hardest things I should maybe write, as the two examples are not quite comparable: Santino's cowardice was based on the fear of loosing face, while Young threw his reputation to the winds to save his hide.

As for the Ensign (j.g.) bit, I would have though of someone on their middie cruise as Ensign (provisional) or Ensign (acting):
Handed the responsibilities, and (provisionally) the respect, of an Ensign; thus giving them the opportunity to prove or disprove their deserving either.

"We'll treat you as if you deserve it, now prove you do."

SWM wrote:Actually, I expect that both of them were perfectly competent to command--when they knew it was a simulation.

I don't know. Yes their different forms of cowardice were major issues in the actions that got Santino killed, and Young cashiered but nothing I saw of either of them before that showed either of them having the personality and skills to make a good or even tolerable captain.

Young probably could get by in a simulator but I seriously doubt Satino had the tactical skills to get by in a sim. And even if he did the way he treats subordinates should have sent massive red flags up, and would have hindered his ability to get anything near the best out of the cadets assigned to his sim team.
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:35 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Not cadets, young officers, his contemporaries...presuming that we are talking about the 'Crusher' Advanced Tactical Course.

dreamrider
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Young probably could get by in a simulator but I seriously doubt Satino had the tactical skills to get by in a sim. And even if he did the way he treats subordinates should have sent massive red flags up, and would have hindered his ability to get anything near the best out of the cadets assigned to his sim team.

Both Young and Santino were adept at riding someone else's coat-tails and taking credit for subordinate's successes.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:Young probably could get by in a simulator but I seriously doubt Satino had the tactical skills to get by in a sim. And even if he did the way he treats subordinates should have sent massive red flags up, and would have hindered his ability to get anything near the best out of the cadets assigned to his sim team.

Both Young and Santino were adept at riding someone else's coat-tails and taking credit for subordinate's successes.

True I should have thought of that sooner. They're like my seventh grade art teacher. Cruel and vicious when no one with authority over them is around but nice as can be when those above them are watching.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:21 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I was a pretty clueless 15 year old guy when i read that, and even i thought, wait, that probably does make quite a difference, being as makeup relies on working around your skin....

cthia wrote:What about this gem, of Honor asking Michelle for makeup tips...

Mike: Our coloring is just a bit different, you know.
Honor: Does that matter?
Mike: :o

I can hear my niece in a situation like this.
"You are giving me absolutely nothing to work with."
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse