Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tlb and 24 guests

Logic behind splitting Lacoon?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Logic behind splitting Lacoon?
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:00 pm

munroburton
Admiral

It's a bit clearer when those two quotes are combined.

Duckk wrote:Not quite that:

“Damned near twenty percent of our total gross product depends entirely on our interstellar commerce,” Quartermain said in a flat tone. “Another fifteen percent will, at the very least, be seriously impacted.”

Duckk wrote:Manticore doesn't have that high of the League's shipping:

“Better than two thirds of our total interstellar commerce—the percentage is higher for freight; lower for passengers and information—travels in Manticore-registered bottoms at some point in the transport cycle, Innokentiy. Almost thirty percent of it travels in Manty ships all the way from point of origin to final destination; another twenty-seven percent travels in Manty bottoms for between thirty and fifty percent of the total voyage. And another ten or fifteen percent of it travels in Manty bottoms for up to a quarter of the total transit.” Her expression was that of someone smelling something which had been dead for several days. “As you can see, simply pulling their own shipping out of the loop will reduce our available interstellar lift by better than half.”

~35% of the League's GP relies heavily or totally on interstellar commerce, of which about 50% was sustained by Manty freighters. So Laocoon I more or less took out 17.5% of the League's gross product.

The active commerce raiding will be targeting the other ~17.5%. Plus there will be ripples into the other parts of the economy which only partially or minimally relies on shipping from both elements.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:34 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Since the SL has a radius only 150-200 LY deep, evidently now with dozens of wormhole termini penetrating it, it shouldn't have taken that long to reach a terminus and leave, especially given the number now known to be around Beowulf and Sol [so far].

A point of information, and a question.

First, the League is a lot bigger than 150-200 ly in radius. That is the size of the Core, not the entire League. If you count the Protectorates (which I think that text was intended to do), then the radius of the League is more like 400 ly.

Second, what evidence do you have that "dozens of wormhole termini" lie in the Solarian League? I believe we have evidence of less than a dozen.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:27 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi Zakharra,

Kudos for some excellent points.

The MMM can charge less because of its lower operating costs due to more automation, but the WHJ and other WHB discounts really seal the deal.

Trying to beat the economic advantages the MMM has always had is going deter most competitors from trying initially if they think there will be quick restoration of service.

So building new freighters will be delayed in many if not most SL systems because they see it as a losing proposition.

Given that Raging Justice was blown, most systems would wait until they had news of the results before risking such investments.

Depending on their location most SL members wouldn't find out until July or possibly August, but then given how effortlessly the GA won, is investing in SL preferred projects all that wise right now?

If Beowulf is going to secede, should they, and will they get a better deal from the GA if they do?

Such questions and negotiations will take more month's [2-3 minimum] so for those that insist on building them [without government subsidies] it may not be until now [October 1922] that construction starts, and at least a year will be probably needed in a good experienced yard if SLN construction times are any indicator.

Given their higher operating costs, the MMM/GA could eventually drive or buy the supposed competition out.

The new solarian polity might have the equivalent of the US monopoly on its coastal traffic, ie local or direct neighbor-to-neighbor traffic might be a local monopoly as well.

We have to wait until 2016 to find out?

Rats. ;)

L

*snip*

I understand that to a point, but unprofitable or not, the entire SL and Verge is getting a very up close and personal example of what happens when someone else controls your shipping and economic strings. Unless the systems join the SEM/RHN/AE, I don't see them as wanting to hand control of their economy to the anyone else since there is no guarantee (even if it is unlikely) that the SEM will become less than friendly and more domineering (all it takes is another High Ridge becoming the Prime Minister and he/she could wreck a LOT of the goodwill the SEM has). Haven and the Andermani have well established reputations for being openly expansionist, and the SEM's recent activities might not be reassuring in that it to has expanded drastically in the last decade.

that said, idff the new polity is a msall one, it might not have any choice in who hauls cargo to form from it, but the larger ones, I can see making a determined effort to make sure -they- control their shipping within their borders at least so if the SEM yanks its freighters, its economy isn't crippled.

Most of the Vere and the Protectorates are already dependent on outside shipping, either Manticore or the major SL shipping firms. They have no indigenous shipping forms, so while there is a lesson to be learned from Lacoon I by these worlds, it is not clear that they will have the means to do anything about it. As an example, I expect the the RTU is going to be picking up a lot of the shipping in the Meyers and Madras sectors, now that they are in fact no longer a part of the SL, and the transstellar that had the monopoly on shipping in the sector has been ejected.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by kzt   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:~35% of the League's GP relies heavily or totally on interstellar commerce, of which about 50% was sustained by Manty freighters. So Laocoon I more or less took out 17.5% of the League's gross product.

It doesn't actually work that way. It means that low value for volume goods won't get shipped. So if you were counting on getting iron ore shipped to you, you are SOL because your shipper can get more money shipping manufactured goods. As the low value for volume goods both make up a low amount of the gross product and account for an outsized amount of the total shipping volume, the total impact should be quite a bit less than that. Once the dust settles, it will be a pretty bad month or three while people are trying to figure out how to make stuff work.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi SWM,

We have textev and RFC's posts that the SL is/was only 300-400 LY in diameter, so 150-200 LY radius.

The core or 'old league' extends some 60-98 LY from Sol [the last figure from UHH], so the shells go from there
while the protectorates extend out from them to around 400 LY from Sol.

We don't have detailed maps of the whole SL of where the shells stop and the protectorates begin, but the protectorates near the TQ are at least 200 LY deep.

L

SWM wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Since the SL has a radius only 150-200 LY deep, evidently now with dozens of wormhole termini penetrating it, it shouldn't have taken that long to reach a terminus and leave, especially given the number now known to be around Beowulf and Sol [so far].

A point of information, and a question.

First, the League is a lot bigger than 150-200 ly in radius. That is the size of the Core, not the entire League. If you count the Protectorates (which I think that text was intended to do), then the radius of the League is more like 400 ly.

Second, what evidence do you have that "dozens of wormhole termini" lie in the Solarian League? I believe we have evidence of less than a dozen.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by kzt   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:23 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It should be pointed out that I was talking about phase 1. When the RMN closes the WHs industrial logistics for the SL goes completely to hell, as they need at least 100% more freighters than they have. Really high value cargoes will end up being delivered (eventually) but the entire economics of commerce and shipping get overturned. Lots of things that were shipped suddenly are not worth shipping and people expecting them to get delivered are instead going to get force majeure emails instead of stuff they need.
Post by SWM   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi SWM,

We have textev and RFC's posts that the SL is/was only 300-400 LY in diameter, so 150-200 LY radius.

The core or 'old league' extends some 60-98 LY from Sol [the last figure from UHH], so the shells go from there
while the protectorates extend out from them to around 400 LY from Sol.

We don't have detailed maps of the whole SL of where the shells stop and the protectorates begin, but the protectorates near the TQ are at least 200 LY deep.

L

SWM wrote:A point of information, and a question.

I'm looking at textev that Yildun is 183 ly from Sol, and is near the boundary between the Core and the Shell. Can you point to textev that the League is 300-400 ly in diameter? I think that's radius.

But you agree that the Protectorates extend out to 400 ly. You said that the League is only 150-200 ly and has dozens of wormholes in it. I'm saying that you need to include the Protectorates, because that's what David has done in the past when discussing the size of the entire League. But my main question is, where are you getting the figure of dozens of Wormhole termini inside the League? I see less than a dozen.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

SWM wrote:A point of information, and a question.

[/quote]
I'm looking at textev that Yildun is 183 ly from Sol, and is near the boundary between the Core and the Shell. Can you point to textev that the League is 300-400 ly in diameter? I think that's radius.

But you agree that the Protectorates extend out to 400 ly. You said that the League is only 150-200 ly and has dozens of wormholes in it. I'm saying that you need to include the Protectorates, because that's what David has done in the past when discussing the size of the entire League. But my main question is, where are you getting the figure of dozens of Wormhole termini inside the League? I see less than a dozen.[/quote]

From the maps I've seen, the area out to the edge of the Verge is about 400ly radius from Sol. The League 'proper' (the Core, the Shell and the Protectorates) has a radius of about half that. Manticore itself is clearly shown on the maps in the books as being 475ly from Beowulf (based on the length label on the wormhole connection) and Beowulf is about [edit]40ly[/edit] from Sol.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:35 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

There's a map over at fifth emporium that SWM put together, which was really cool, however I didn't have my reading glasses to find all of the star system names when I looked at it, but it shows the whole Honorverse with a few question marks (aka where the Torch wormhole leads to, etc.). What I thought was interesting about the maps relates to the text in aRT, when Commodore Magellan's forces seized the chain of three:
A Rising Thunder wrote:Magellan’s slightly understrength squadron of Saganami-C-class cruisers was a long way from home: four hundred and forty-five light-years from the Manticore Binary System through hyperspace, and three hundred and twenty-seven from Beowulf. Of course, he hadn’t had to make the trip the long way. Instead, he’d moved transited from the Manticoran Junction to Beowulf, then crossed sixty-three light-years from Beowulf to the Roulette System, then transited the Roulette-Limbo hyper bridge and crossed another forty-nine light-years of hyperspace from Limbo to Agueda.

Spreading sunshine and light the entire way, he reflected. Amazing how unpopular we are.
Textev nearby states that Agueda is about 350 LY from Sol, and the nominal relations (Limbo is an OFS client state), Roulette somewhat neutral, Agueda fiery but "for appearances denunciation".

So those three wormholes are all in nominal SL space, especially Roulette, putting Lacoon II deep into the Core if I am reading the map right.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Trying to establish the size of a spherical "core" or "shell" won't work. I think the following two excerpts from The Universe of Honor Harrington will make this clear.

UoHH wrote:The best speed possible in hyper prior to 1273 pd was about fifty times light-speed, a major plus over light-speed vessels but still too slow to tie distant stars together into any sort of interstellar community. It was sufficient to allow establishment of the oldest of the currently existing interstellar polities, the Solarian League, consisting of the oldest colony worlds within approximately ninety light-years of Sol.

So 90 ly is the approximate size of the Solarian League in 1273. It is now over 6 centuries later.

and

Uohh wrote:In addition, of course, the discovery of wormhole junctions and a technique for their use imposed an entirely new pattern on the ongoing Diaspora. Theretofore, expansion had been roughly spherical, spreading out from the center in an irregular but recognizable globular pattern. Thereafter, expansion became far more ragged as wormhole junctions gave virtually instantaneous access to far distant reaches of space.
Once initial access to the far end of a wormhole junction had been attained, the habitable world at the far end (if there was one) tended to act as the central focus for its own "mini-Diaspora," creating globular quadrants of explored space which might be light-centuries away from the next closest explored star system.

The notion of a "core," "shell" and "verge" is a useful abstraction, but it doesn't conform all that well to any astrographic reality. It's closer to a political reality.

Return to Honorverse