Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Interview with David at Baycon 2014

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Interview with David at Baycon 2014
Post by RHWoodman   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

I looked, and did not find, a thread on this. If I overlooked it somehow, please accept my apologies for the duplication.

Sword and Laser interviewed David at Baycon 2014. It's a 1 hr, 15 minutes, interview, plus a one minute introduction and a 1 minute exit. Although David talks mostly about Honor Harrington, he does discuss a few other series he's working on, including the future story arc for the Safehold series. He also comments some on the development of the Honor Harrington movie and comic.

All told, I enjoyed the interview and learned from it. If you want to listen, the link is http://swordandlaser.com/home/2014/6/3/sl-podcast-178-david-weber-talks-honor-at-baycon-2014.
Re: Interview with David at Baycon 2014
Post by ksandgren   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:18 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the link. I learned a good deal from it. The future of the Safehold books info was negative for me, but expected and I appreciated the info even if it wasn't good news. The info regarding Evergreen and the Honorverse was more positive but not unexpected or particularly new. With the dearth of real news, it was very welcome. Almost as good as a snippet.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

I got name-checked!
:shock: :D
Check out from 1:15:50!

RFC, I just have this to say...
THANKS!
Better than being red-shirted.
:D :lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Greentea   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Greentea
Commander

ksandgren wrote:Thanks for the link. I learned a good deal from it. The future of the Safehold books info was negative for me, but expected and I appreciated the info even if it wasn't good news. The info regarding Evergreen and the Honorverse was more positive but not unexpected or particularly new. With the dearth of real news, it was very welcome. Almost as good as a snippet.

Agreed. I like the description of the intended opening to the first Honorverse movie and the way Nimitz would be depicted in that opening in order to establish him as something more than a pet. I understand Evergreen will have to make some changes from the books, but as David Weber told the Evergreen execs, everyone over here will complain a bit less when the reasons behind the changes are explained.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by HerrDerSchatten   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:16 am

HerrDerSchatten
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Could somebody post the Information about Safehold here? The interview is a bit long to just hunt for the information...
Post by cnrd22   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:15 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

HerrDerSchatten wrote:Could somebody post the Information about Safehold here? The interview is a bit long to just hunt for the information...

2 more Group of 4 (HFQ + 1), 20 year hiatus, big reveal about the Church, another war, nastier but possibly shorter, 3-5 books there

Then depends whether DW (due to age) feels up to doing the space-Gbaba series properly or (more likely from the interview as of now at least), just an epilogue some centuries in the future with a huge Empire/Confederation of Charis space fleet with Merlin as senior officer going to destroy the Gbaba...
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

2 nit pics with summary:

1) David is estimating 3-[i]4[/i] books for the 2nd Safehold war.

2) His speculative verbal epilog to cover the Gababa expedition envisioned Merlin as Flag Captain for the CinC, not the "senior officer", i.e. still senior advisor/manipulator.

dreamrider
Post by nickursis   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:31 am

nickursis
Ensign

:) Excellent interview, done very well, and covers a lot of material. Thanks for posting it!
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:30 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Greentea,

RFC has shared this same suggested scene before, including at HonorCon, with very similar positive reactions, one hopes Evergreen pays attention.

Also, thanks very much for the link!

L

Greentea wrote:
ksandgren wrote:Thanks for the link. I learned a good deal from it. The future of the Safehold books info was negative for me, but expected and I appreciated the info even if it wasn't good news. The info regarding Evergreen and the Honorverse was more positive but not unexpected or particularly new. With the dearth of real news, it was very welcome. Almost as good as a snippet.

Agreed. I like the description of the intended opening to the first Honorverse movie and the way Nimitz would be depicted in that opening in order to establish him as something more than a pet. I understand Evergreen will have to make some changes from the books, but as David Weber told the Evergreen execs, everyone over here will complain a bit less when the reasons behind the changes are explained.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse