Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

Spacefaring Aliens

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Spacefaring Aliens
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:18 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

There is apparently a grand total of one non-human species with hyperdrive technology in the Honorverse, based on comments made here and there in the past (I checked the Infodumps but no mention was made). If I'm remembering right,
1) They're an alien species adapted to a particularly hostile natural environment - at Honorcon 2013, David described them (paraphrased) as 'similar to the Quarn, but not quite as extreme), so they don't overlap with human-occupied worlds.
2) They were 'uplifted' in a way, gaining hyperdrive tech from humans.
3) They have a small cluster of planets down on the far opposite edge of the Solarian League from the Haven sector, way out on or beyond the Verge.

But that's all I tentatively remember. They're a mystery, and mysteries are interesting. Obviously, being so primitive and far away - not to mention completely un-cuddly - means they're not really relevant as anything besides background detail, and would distract from the human-focus stories by being major players/plot points. But will these mysterious unnamed extra-terrestrials ever actually appear in a canon novel, even in a cameo role?
Re: Spacefaring Aliens
Post by pokermind   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

MORE THAN HONOR WORLDS OF HONOR #1 “A Grand Tour” © 1998 David Drake, contains the only non human space faring aliens, and only ruins of their civilization. This is the only aliens I know of in the Honorverse.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:42 pm

TheGlyphstone

pokermind wrote:MORE THAN HONOR WORLDS OF HONOR #1 “A Grand Tour” © 1998 David Drake, contains the only non human space faring aliens, and only ruins of their civilization. This is the only aliens I know of in the Honorverse.

Poker

Yeah, I wasn't counting the Alphanes, because they're extinct. These guys were something else.
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, there is a brief mention of such a race, one which was near-spacefaring when discovered and was given hyper technology by humans after discovery.

No, they will not play any significant part in the overall arc of the Honorverse storyline. David has said that he wanted this story to be about Humans as the spacefaring race.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:45 pm

TheGlyphstone

SWM wrote:Yes, there is a brief mention of such a race, one which was near-spacefaring when discovered and was given hyper technology by humans after discovery.

No, they will not play any significant part in the overall arc of the Honorverse storyline. David has said that he wanted this story to be about Humans as the spacefaring race.

I said that, yeah. But I was still curious if they'll ever even get a cameo somewhere, or if 'they exist' is the limit David will ever feature them in. Heck, even knowing their name would be something.
Post by biochem   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

SWM wrote:Yes, there is a brief mention of such a race, one which was near-spacefaring when discovered and was given hyper technology by humans after discovery.

Hmm Sounds like a potential short story....

Return to Honorverse