Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 142 guests

M.A.D

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
M.A.D
Post by Alistair   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

As I understand MAD is an acronym for mutually assured destruction.

It refers the Nuclear deterrent that Russia and the USA have (and to a lesser extent other minor powers such as Israel, Pakistan, UK etc.)

Could a minor to medium power in Honourverse build a M.A.D deterrence?

The Deterrent that I visualise would be ballistic missile attacks on planets out of the range of there defences the missiles would be coming in very fast and have little or no emissions to betray there location.

Any such attack like a M.A.D attack would result in an interstellar dark age just as a full M.AD attack today would destroy most of what we call civilisation today.

If a medium power could build a M.A.D why have they not?

Is it for moral reasons that they figure it is better for them and humanity as a whole for them to lose a war and to be a slave of the OFS (or whoever) then destroy a fair sized chunk of the SL (or whoever the enemy is) or are there other reasons?

For example if several verge systems grouped together and built a number of light vessels that could fire these weapons of mass destruction they could politely state to the world at large they don't want to be turned into slaves and if they are turned into slaves they would rather die and in the dying take out a chunk of the bad guys. say earth and 10-100 core worlds (one ship sent to each planet)

While I can imagine most verge planets preferring to live as slaves of the OFS than to be guilty of the worst Erindini strike the universe has ever seen and to be utterly destroyed by Battle Fleet just as I can imagine many american preferring to live as slaves of the USSR rather than ending the world I can also see many people preferring death to slavery and so wanting a deterrent that would make a larger power think twice about enslaving the weaker power.

Thoughts?
Re: M.A.D
Post by BobfromSydney   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 am

BobfromSydney
Commander

The moment they announced that nonsense OFS and FF would be all over them like chocolate on a malteser.

The trouble and expense to build the hyper capable ships, logistics support capability and also missile stockpile would be enormous.

Think about how long it would take for a small squadron or even a few squadrons to work their way through 100 stay systems in the Core, hundreds of light years away from their home bases.

Why would the citizens be in favour of committing an unprolonged lifetime of production towards such an end just so their unprolonged children can be conquered/destroyed by OFS/FF?

There would be backbreaking taxes to fund such a project for the kind of poor star nations you are talking about. I don't imagine any society short of Masada or a North Korean space dictatorship being willing to make this form of long-term 'investment'.

Such commitment put towards more productive goals could potentially build a version of the RTU that enables those planets to 'cut a deal' with OFS that was favourable to them.

In the end the Solly Media would report would be:
"Rogue states that threatened to depopulate our planet have been neutralised by the heroic actions of the OFS and FF".
"The citizens of these brutal dictatorships/theocracies have been joyously liberated by FF and are welcoming the Solarian League with open arms."
"Megacorp has opened up a subsidiary on these planets already and is keen to see these planets experience Solarian economic prosperity."

Most likely the news would get out and OFS/FF would move in long before the 'deterrent' was ready for deployment.

Such an announcement would be a big windfall for the defence sector however. Imagine all the governments rushing to purchase planetary missile/particle/kinetic bombardment countermeasures/defences.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:55 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Hi Bob

While I might be proven to be wrong I suspect that the vessels to carry out the strikes could be based just outside the the systems that produced them.

They could also be given that they are not intended to engage in space combat be relatively cheap.

After all they spend there active life in deep space and with judicious routing they could travel through space to there intended target without bumping into anyone.

Once they arrived they fire there missiles way outside the defence perimeter- those missiles burn out and go in silently and ballistically to there intended target.

If my guesses are right even frigates could do the job!!
Post by Whitecold   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:52 am

Whitecold
Commander

The problem with a MAD strategy is that it is not really 'assured.' C-fractional attacks are only devastating against purely fixed defenses. Mobile forces can intercept the missiles in flight, or the launching ship as it performs its attack run, and ballistic birds are easy kills for PD.
Short, to perform a genocidal attack, you either need to eliminate the enemies warships, or be undetectable. Neither is feasible for a verge system.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Alistair wrote:As I understand MAD is an acronym for mutually assured destruction.

Could a minor to medium power in Honourverse build a M.A.D deterrence?

The MAD device you're looking for is a Dispatch Boat or Freighter or even a LAC. It can be either a manned Kamikaze or remote controlled.

The problem is that you'd need a minimum of 1800 just to take out the Core Worlds of the Solarian League, and a like amount to take out the Shell Worlds and more than that for the Protectorates and OFS sectors.

That assumes you could "Assure Destruction" with only one Kamikaze per planet.

The situation will get better when the Solarian League breaks up, but you'd have the problem of multiple potential opponents who would assure your destruction, no matter who you took out.

Such a tactic would be far more likely to assure your own destruction without destroying your opponent.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Whitecold wrote:The problem with a MAD strategy is that it is not really 'assured.' C-fractional attacks are only devastating against purely fixed defenses. Mobile forces can intercept the missiles in flight, or the launching ship as it performs its attack run, and ballistic birds are easy kills for PD.
Short, to perform a genocidal attack, you either need to eliminate the enemies warships, or be undetectable. Neither is feasible for a verge system.
Yep.
Or, if you've got a relatively good lock on the missile track, you can put ships across is to block with their wedges. Enough wedges (and a core world should have plenty) and you don't even need a good missile track; you can build walls of wedges big enough to totally cover the face of the planet.

I agree; frac-c bombardment, beyond being abhorrent in intent, just isn't very "assured".

That wedge block trick doesn't work as well attempting to defend fixed infrastructure because serious invasion fleets (powerful enough you're unwilling to leave the cover of your fixed defenses) can use laserheads (on ballistic) to pick off your block-ships; then resume c-frac bombardment of the fixed defenses/infrastructure. (Send some missiles a bit wide so they should have an shot past the wedge as they coast past)

But you weren't calling for that powerful a force, so presumably they've only got a limited number of salvos before your M.A.D ships have to flee the system defense force.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I think this line of thinking has merit. Way to fire neurons! Why would all of the core worlds need to be targeted? Just Earth, the seat of command and so many lives. You don't need to target all worlds to be an effective deterrent, just the right worlds and number of lives.

From my ramblings thread...
cthia wrote:
Wiki wrote:
A doomsday device is a hypothetical construction — usually a weapon, or collection of weapons — which could destroy all life on a planet, particularly the Earth, or destroy the planet itself, bringing "doomsday", a term used for the end of planet Earth. Most hypothetical constructions rely on the fact that hydrogen bombs can be made arbitrarily large assuming there are no concerns about delivering them to a target (see Teller–Ulam design) or that they can be "salted" with materials designed to create long-lasting and hazardous fallout (e.g., a cobalt bomb).

Doomsday devices have been present in literature and art especially in the 20th century, when advances in science and technology made world destruction (or at least the eradication of all human life) a credible scenario. Many classics in the genre of science fiction take up the theme in this respect.

After the advent of nuclear weapons, especially hydrogen bombs, these technologies have usually been the dominant components of doomsday devices. RAND strategist Herman Kahn proposed a "Doomsday Machine" in 1960 that would consist of a computer linked to a stockpile of hydrogen bombs, programmed to detonate them all and bathe the planet in nuclear fallout at the signal of an impending nuclear attack from another nation. The key aspect of the doomsday device's deterrent factor is that it would go off automatically without human aid and despite human intervention, providing a highly credible threat that would dissuade attackers and avoid the dangerous game of brinkmanship that brought the United States and the Soviet Union closer to nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis. With a doomsday device on the planet, neither side would suspect the other of launching a sneak attack in attempt to destroy the opposing country's infrastructure before they could retaliate.

For many, the scheme epitomized the extremes of the suicidal logic behind the strategy of mutual assured destruction, and it was famously parodied in the Stanley Kubrick film from 1964, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (while the alliterative term "doomsday device" has subsequently become much more popular, Dr. Strangelove itself consistently refers to such a weapon as a "doomsday machine").

Examples:
The Dead Hand (or "Perimeter") system built by the Soviet Union during the Cold War has been called a "doomsday machine" due to its fail-deadly design and nuclear capabilities.

Dead Hand (Russian: Система «Периметр», Systema "Perimetr", 15Э601),[1] known also as Perimeter,[2] is a Cold-War-era nuclear-control system used by the Soviet Union. General speculation from insiders alleges that the system remains in use in post-Soviet Russia. An example of fail-deadly deterrence, it can automatically trigger the launch of the Russian intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) if a nuclear strike is detected by seismic, light, radioactivity and overpressure sensors. By most accounts, it is normally switched off and is supposed to be activated during dangerous crisis only; however, it is said to remain fully functional and able to serve its purpose whenever needed.[3][1]

The Soviet Union has a doomsday device, if activated set on automatic??? :o Once again I feel like I should be hiding under my desk in grade school!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_device

Does textev give any technical specs on the Masadan doomsday device?

Edit:
Spelling.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:11 pm

namelessfly

Are you nuts?

Your economic analysis is horrible.

Building a MAD deterrent with Honorverse technology is dirt cheap.

One DD with box launchers to augment it's missile salvo could do it.

Consider the effects of one, single drive missile massing 100 tons.

The missile is set on lowest accelleration to maximize Delta Vee.

The missile is launched from a ship that translates from hyper light months from the system then accelerates towards the target to give the missiles an initial launch velocity of perhaps 2/3 Cee.

The missile might have a Delta Vee sufficient to reach .9 Cee.

Impact energy is then = 1/2 x 1eex5 x .81 x (3eex8)^2

KE = about 3.6eex21 Joules or nearly ONE MILLION MEGATONS!

Just fire missile. Let missile drive expend itself one light month from the system then go ballistic.

Missile has on board guidance and reaction thrusters for terminal targeting.

Fire and forget, then hyper out.

You do not announce your deterrent.

You simply begin employing your deterrent to avenge OFS invading someone else's system.

Perhaps you announce the existence of some anonymous freedom fighting group that will retaliate whenever OFS invades.

You will also retaliate if OFS does not withdrawal from occupied systems.

Alternatively; you say nothing. Just nuke a core world every time OFS occupies someone.

Eventually; the SL, SLN and OFS will notice the correlation and deduce the causation.

It should be an emotionally significant event that motivates behavior modification.

BobfromSydney wrote:The moment they announced that nonsense OFS and FF would be all over them like chocolate on a malteser.

The trouble and expense to build the hyper capable ships, logistics support capability and also missile stockpile would be enormous.

Think about how long it would take for a small squadron or even a few squadrons to work their way through 100 stay systems in the Core, hundreds of light years away from their home bases.

Why would the citizens be in favour of committing an unprolonged lifetime of production towards such an end just so their unprolonged children can be conquered/destroyed by OFS/FF?

There would be backbreaking taxes to fund such a project for the kind of poor star nations you are talking about. I don't imagine any society short of Masada or a North Korean space dictatorship being willing to make this form of long-term 'investment'.

Such commitment put towards more productive goals could potentially build a version of the RTU that enables those planets to 'cut a deal' with OFS that was favourable to them.

In the end the Solly Media would report would be:
"Rogue states that threatened to depopulate our planet have been neutralised by the heroic actions of the OFS and FF".
"The citizens of these brutal dictatorships/theocracies have been joyously liberated by FF and are welcoming the Solarian League with open arms."
"Megacorp has opened up a subsidiary on these planets already and is keen to see these planets experience Solarian economic prosperity."

Most likely the news would get out and OFS/FF would move in long before the 'deterrent' was ready for deployment.

Such an announcement would be a big windfall for the defence sector however. Imagine all the governments rushing to purchase planetary missile/particle/kinetic bombardment countermeasures/defences.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

From a practical standpoint, I tend to doubt that a COTS missile power system is designed or capable of running for weeks, much less months.
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 pm

namelessfly

kzt wrote:From a practical standpoint, I tend to doubt that a COTS missile power system is designed or capable of running for weeks, much less months.

The missile are custom modified for rhis purpose. The capacitor rings power the impeller drive. An isotope power generator, fuel cells, flywheels or lead acid batteries power the terminal stage guidance system. LOX and liquified methane fuel the RCSfor terminal maneuvers, if any needed. If guidance during boost phase is good enough, anintert missile works. You do not have to hit a city or even the right continent.

Return to Honorverse