Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 79 guests

M.A.D

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: M.A.D
Post by BobfromSydney   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:16 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

cadastral wrote:
Would a flywheel work in space? Or would conservation of angular momentum cause your missile to spin against the flywheel?

I don't think flywheels would have the structural integrity to store the energy required for missile wedges.

However if someone were to try to use them, they would likely use paired counter-spinning flywheels to prevent a 'spin-out' when the missile attempts to 'tap' the flywheels.
Post by namelessfly   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 pm

namelessfly

BobfromSydney wrote:
cadastral wrote:
Would a flywheel work in space? Or would conservation of angular momentum cause your missile to spin against the flywheel?

I don't think flywheels would have the structural integrity to store the energy required for missile wedges.

However if someone were to try to use them, they would likely use paired counter-spinning flywheels to prevent a 'spin-out' when the missile attempts to 'tap' the flywheels.

The energy density of modern flywheels exceeds the energy density of modern capacitors. Induction coils might be better.

I am not proposing flupywheels to power a missile wedge. Use a standard capacitor for that. Use flywheels to power guidance systems, sensors and RCS for terminal correction maneuvers.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:09 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

namelessfly wrote:
The energy density of modern flywheels exceeds the energy density of modern capacitors. Induction coils might be better.

I am not proposing flupywheels to power a missile wedge. Use a standard capacitor for that. Use flywheels to power guidance systems, sensors and RCS for terminal correction maneuvers.

Totally agree, flywheels are great for pointing and attitude adjustment tasks. No reaction mass needed.

Return to Honorverse