Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 28 guests

House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2
Post by hairbear541   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:52 am

hairbear541
Ensign

does any one on this forum have an idea when House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2 will be released for sale. House of steel/ Honorverse Companion 1 was great. Filled in a lot detail of why the House of Winton had such hate for anything Haven.
The companion section cleared up a lot of the ambiguity on ship sizes,weights and when introduced. The only thing left unclear were the comp. levels, but other than great.
Re: House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

They started work on it a couple months ago IIRC.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

To modify a quote from Babylon 5...
"It will come when it comes, with the information that it has."
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:To modify a quote from Babylon 5...
"It will come when it comes, with the information that it has."

...but not soon enough for me.

Signed,
Your Resident Haven Fangirl
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hairbear541,

My reaction to HoS was rather different, I'm afraid.

While I enjoyed the HoS King Roger II background tale, the Bu9 stuff was generally painful to read, some parts were so bad it took me month's to finish it.

While RFC said HoS is now the definitive textev, which I accept, I'm still curious about why the discrepancies were so great.

I found so many conflicts with the previous textev, sometimes several times on the same page particularly with the appendix in TSVW that among other details gave numbers and class tonnage[which seemed to be totally ignored], which provided an average which with the latest and biggest classes also indicated what the oldest and smallest were likely to be; all of which was ignored and indicated again that Bu9 however good they are on somethings [which they are] didn't do their homework like they should have.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but it seemed too much made up as they went along, without comparing with the textev, the fleet strength chart etc.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I truly hope they do a better job on HoS2.

L

[quote="hairbear541"]does any one on this forum have an idea when House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2 will be released for sale. House of steel/ Honorverse Companion 1 was great. Filled in a lot detail of why the House of Winton had such hate for anything Haven.
The companion section cleared up a lot of the ambiguity on ship sizes,weights and when introduced. The only thing left unclear were the comp. levels, but other than great.[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

The second half of HoS was pretty much purely technical and a bit historical. Which is fine for what it is.

I loved the King Roger part, and the only thing that diminished my enjoyment is I knew what was going to happen. If I know a character is going to die, from spoilers or able to tell from the authors writing style I make a point of not getting emotionally attached to the character. And yet... I really got attached to King Roger, and his death still struck a big chord with me.

Now the question of course with House of Lies, will it be about the Rise of the Peoples Republic? Or the fall of the Peoples Republic, in the days and weeks after Saint-Just developed a case of dead. I expect the first, I really hope for the second.

Someone (probably Rose) suggested Eloise Pritchart would have the line, "I will tear down this house of lies!".

Which would of course be amazing.
Post by Duckk   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but it seemed too much made up as they went along, without comparing with the textev, the fleet strength chart etc.

I assure you we went through many rounds of reviews to try and be as accurate as possible. While some things slipped through, I think you're putting far to big an onus on us for making things follow every jot and letter of early canon, especially since you know that quite a bit of it was written under faulty assumptions (such as the density problem which led to The Great Resizing).
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:44 pm

saber964
Admiral

I hope that BuTech9 does a better job of editing the technical stuff because so much of it was hosed. Like the information on Dianchet which they listed as a Greek god of the hunt (Artemis is the Greek god of the hunt) when it actually a Celtic god of healing or that he was 30 (6 S-years old)years old but in the book it clearly states he's 47.5 (9 S-years)years old.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:55 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Duckk,

Its always great to hear from you.

I understand the concern over the Great Resizing, and I took that as a given.

My problems stemmed mainly from the conflicts with the textev, especially the TSVW appendix, where the number of ships, their size, and total tonnage indicating class averages etc, were totally ignored for stuff seemingly made up on the spot.

Just check it and compare, please.

Why are the RMN Ad Astra DN's, which are only 3.57% bigger than the average peep BB and far lass than the last 4.5 NT BB's kept in service until 1913 when there is so much textev about BB's being too small for the wall etc, or the fact that the 1904 Fleet strength comparison chart states the RMN only had 121 DN's not the 144 of HoS?

There are tons of errors that are excruciating.

Hopefully HoS2 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've realized from the beginning that its too late to argue, but it grates so much when it should have been quite simple to factor the appendix and early textev in.

L

Duckk wrote:

I assure you we went through many rounds of reviews to try and be as accurate as possible. While some things slipped through, I think you're putting far to big an onus on us for making things follow every jot and letter of early canon, especially since you know that quite a bit of it was written under faulty assumptions (such as the density problem which led to The Great Resizing).
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:22 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

lyonheart wrote:Hi Duckk,

Its always great to hear from you.

I understand the concern over the Great Resizing, and I took that as a given.

My problems stemmed mainly from the conflicts with the textev, especially the TSVW appendix, where the number of ships, their size, and total tonnage indicating class averages etc, were totally ignored for stuff seemingly made up on the spot.

Just check it and compare, please.

Why are the RMN Ad Astra DN's, which are only 3.57% bigger than the average peep BB and far lass than the last 4.5 NT BB's kept in service until 1913 when there is so much textev about BB's being too small for the wall etc, or the fact that the 1904 Fleet strength comparison chart states the RMN only had 121 DN's not the 144 of HoS?

There are tons of errors that are excruciating.

Hopefully HoS2 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've realized from the beginning that its too late to argue, but it grates so much when it should have been quite simple to factor the appendix and early textev in.

L

Duckk wrote:I assure you we went through many rounds of reviews to try and be as accurate as possible. While some things slipped through, I think you're putting far to big an onus on us for making things follow every jot and letter of early canon, especially since you know that quite a bit of it was written under faulty assumptions (such as the density problem which led to The Great Resizing).

Lyonheart ---

When you are prepared to go through and spend as much time and effort as the Bu9 guys did on creating/recreating the "historical" navy by wading through 20 years worth of books and attempting to reconcile all the minor continuity errors which have crept in over the last 20 decades you may be in a position to cast aspersions on their efforts. At the moment, you are not.

The appendix from the SVW was, indeed, modified. If that offends you, I apologize. The effort that was expended in designing every single class of every navy for you and the other readers was prodigious. The effort to make sure that all named ships from the books were included and that hull numbers --- which I assigned without taking meticulous notes about how many ships were in each class or ship type --- was likewise prodigious. Most authors do not make a note every single time they name a ship or assign a hull number, especially not in a series stretching to 20-plus years and close to 20 mainstream novels plus short fiction. When the time comes to put a navy together for an official, canon listing, however, little things like repeat numbers or numbers which imply smaller classes --- or larger ones --- have to be reconciled. That is precisely what we attempted to do here.

Were there some typos that slipped by? Yes, there were. Was this Bu9's first effort at something this ambitious? Yes, it was. Did I have the opportunity to proofread every word of it and did I miss some of the errors, I certainly did.

I've done the best I could to maintain continuity over the life of the series and, by and large, I think I've done a fair job of it. When the time comes to put together the definitive guide to the entire literary universe, however, some pieces of it need to be filed and sanded to fit. Personally, I think they did a damned good job, and I don't know anyone who could have done a better one.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse