Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: House of Lies/Honorverse Companion 2
Post by Potato   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Potato
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:For example in SoS the Avalon class was stated to be a third the size of the Hexapuma, ie 161,000 tons; not almost 10% less, so why the change?

Oh please. That is just a terrible, terrible thing to nitpick. The text as written is just an imprecise measure. Unless RFC gave an exact percentile difference between the tonnages of the two ships, it should have been blindingly obvious that the number is rounded to an appropriate, text friendly fraction.

EDIT: I also cannot find any reference to the tonnage ratio in the text of SoS or SftS. As far as I have been able to determine, Aegis was only identified as an Avalon class and that it was "almost as modern as Hexapuma", and the only time her tonnage is ever laid out is in the Companion.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Potato wrote:
lyonheart wrote:For example in SoS the Avalon class was stated to be a third the size of the Hexapuma, ie 161,000 tons; not almost 10% less, so why the change?

Oh please. That is just a terrible, terrible thing to nitpick. The text as written is just an imprecise measure. Unless RFC gave an exact percentile difference between the tonnages of the two ships, it should have been blindingly obvious that the number is rounded to an appropriate, text friendly fraction.

EDIT: I also cannot find any reference to the tonnage ratio in the text of SoS or SftS. As far as I have been able to determine, Aegis was only identified as an Avalon class and that it was "almost as modern as Hexapuma", and the only time her tonnage is ever laid out is in the Companion.

Lyonking, are you sure you are not using the E-ARC? There were considerable differences between the E-ARC and the final version where the Monica fighting scene was.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:09 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Potato wrote:

Agree wholeheartly with potato.

Look at it this way: if the reasonable choice for the author was between saying "one third the size" or "one quarter the size", which one conveys the comparison better? I submit that "one third the size" is a lot better for the flow of the action than "30.4% the size".

Furthermore, guess what? David gets to tweak, and even sometimes radically change, stuff. He's the author.

If you didn't like the way he manages and writes about HIS universe, you wouldn't be here.

dreamrider
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:02 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Potato wrote:

Yeah, before I read down to your post I took the same look through SoS and couldn't find any comparison of Aegis's size, or even a more generic statement about the size of the Avalon-class CLs.

Hexapuma gets compared to the old Star Knight-class CAs, and to a LAC, but that's all I saw...

lyonheart, could you please pose the quote you're thinking of; since we're having trouble finding it?
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:38 am

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Let's face it, it's David's creation and he can do as he pleases with it. ;)

There are many cases where what's canon and what isn't changes many times - both Star Trek and Star Wars are notorious for it.

If things need to change for reasons that come up later, so be it. I believe J. Michael Straczynski of B5 once said "the White Star flies at the speed of plot" when questioned on how the ship could travel so quickly to places that were meant to be so far apart.

I don't get hung on these things and just enjoy the Honorverse for what it is. 8-)

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------

Return to Honorverse