Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests

A question about the destruction of Admiral Filareta

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A question about the destruction of Admiral Filareta
Post by Torlek   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Torlek
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Theemile wrote:But don't forget - Sollie Flag bridges are a standardized place with a standard spot for the shock cage of the admiral (and everyone else) - best of all - the Fleet 2000 program included plenty of tri D high def videos of the new bridge layouts for the admiring public to know where their (not-quite) tax dollars go.

If you know who is doing the shooting, you know where to point.

Even if you know that and presuppose a trigger, that is conditional upon the admiral being in her seat, you could still miss, if the admiral is slumping a bit or is doing any number of things, that can move a head 15cm.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Torlek wrote:
Theemile wrote:But don't forget - Sollie Flag bridges are a standardized place with a standard spot for the shock cage of the admiral (and everyone else) - best of all - the Fleet 2000 program included plenty of tri D high def videos of the new bridge layouts for the admiring public to know where their (not-quite) tax dollars go.

If you know who is doing the shooting, you know where to point.

Even if you know that and presuppose a trigger, that is conditional upon the admiral being in her seat, you could still miss, if the admiral is slumping a bit or is doing any number of things, that can move a head 15cm.

The crew is strapped into shock harnesses during combat - how much can they move?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:When you've got a hammer, things tend to look like nails. The MAlign has a secret and undetectable assassination method; they would tend to use it in preference to other methods when they want to make sure that people won't suspect an assassination and ask who has a motive.

The Alignment is not relying solely on the nano-virus to eliminate problems. They are also using sabotage and non-programmed agents. Filareta's bridge was sabotaged by an agent. So sabotaging a suit does not violate the pattern.

It was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

JohnRoth wrote:When you've got a hammer, things tend to look like nails. The MAlign has a secret and undetectable assassination method; they would tend to use it in preference to other methods when they want to make sure that people won't suspect an assassination and ask who has a motive.
SWM wrote:The Alignment is not relying solely on the nano-virus to eliminate problems. They are also using sabotage and non-programmed agents. Filareta's bridge was sabotaged by an agent. So sabotaging a suit does not violate the pattern.
Zakharra wrote: It was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.
If he was planning to stay aboard, he'd do better to plant a bug on the bridge and if need be set off the bomb himself, like the Gaul in Cauldron, rather than relying on the nanite trigger.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SWM   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
SWM wrote:]
The Alignment is not relying solely on the nano-virus to eliminate problems. They are also using sabotage and non-programmed agents. Filareta's bridge was sabotaged by an agent. So sabotaging a suit does not violate the pattern.

It was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.

I'm pretty sure the agent was not on the ship. The sabotage was done well beforehand.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Bill Woods wrote:
SWM wrote:The Alignment is not relying solely on the nano-virus to eliminate problems. They are also using sabotage and non-programmed agents. Filareta's bridge was sabotaged by an agent. So sabotaging a suit does not violate the pattern.
Zakharra wrote: It was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.
If he was planning to stay aboard, he'd do better to plant a bug on the bridge and if need be set off the bomb himself, like the Gaul in Cauldron, rather than relying on the nanite trigger.

I'm pretty sure the agent was not on the ship. The sabotage was done well beforehand.

The tech that installed the bomb was a member of the crew; enlisted technician. and as the ship was waiting with the rest of the fleet at their staging area, there is nowhere she could have gone after setting the bomb. She was on that flagship when the missiles fired. There's no other place she could have gone.
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Zakharra wrote: [Filareta's bridge] was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.
Bill Woods wrote: If he was planning to stay aboard, he'd do better to plant a bug on the bridge and if need be set off the bomb himself, like the Gaul in Cauldron, rather than relying on the nanite trigger.
SWM wrote:I'm pretty sure the agent was not on the ship. The sabotage was done well beforehand.
Zakharra wrote: The tech that installed the bomb was a member of the crew; enlisted technician. and as the ship was waiting with the rest of the fleet at their staging area, there is nowhere she could have gone after setting the bomb. She was on that flagship when the missiles fired. There's no other place she could have gone.
Malign agents aren't noted for self-sacrifice; I rather doubt she had any intention of staying aboard a ship she was trying to ensure would be destroyed. If the agent can forge a work order that got her onto the flag bridge, I expect she could forge orders transferring herself to one of the ships that wasn't going with the Sollies' Grande Armada. E.g., one of the ships that brought the missile pods from Mesa.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Zakharra wrote: [Filareta's bridge] was sabotaged by the nanites and an agent. The nanites to launch the missile pods then input the code to set off the explosive the agent put in place. Which makes me wonder if that agent is alive still or not since she would have stood a very good chance of being killed in the ensuing fight.
Bill Woods wrote: If he was planning to stay aboard, he'd do better to plant a bug on the bridge and if need be set off the bomb himself, like the Gaul in Cauldron, rather than relying on the nanite trigger.
SWM wrote:I'm pretty sure the agent was not on the ship. The sabotage was done well beforehand.
Zakharra wrote: The tech that installed the bomb was a member of the crew; enlisted technician. and as the ship was waiting with the rest of the fleet at their staging area, there is nowhere she could have gone after setting the bomb. She was on that flagship when the missiles fired. There's no other place she could have gone.
Bill Woods wrote:Malign agents aren't noted for self-sacrifice; I rather doubt she had any intention of staying aboard a ship she was trying to ensure would be destroyed. If the agent can forge a work order that got her onto the flag bridge, I expect she could forge orders transferring herself to one of the ships that wasn't going with the Sollies' Grande Armada. E.g., one of the ships that brought the missile pods from Mesa.

Or since they were still waiting for other ships to arrive as well as the Technodyne missiles, the crews were undoubtedly being given shore leave in rotation. She just doesn't return from shore leave.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

IfIRecallCorrectly, (and I might not),
then the sabotage was done while the fleet was already
in hyperspace on the way to Manticore.

So it would have been too late for that Tech to transfer
off of that ship.

Also, there is the question "how much of an Agent was
that Technician?" Did she know that she was emplacing a
bomb, or did she believe it to be business as usual?

HTM

fallsfromtrees wrote:
at bottom

Bill Woods wrote:Malign agents aren't noted for self-sacrifice; I rather doubt she had any intention of staying aboard a ship she was trying to ensure would be destroyed. If the agent can forge a work order that got her onto the flag bridge, I expect she could forge orders transferring herself to one of the ships that wasn't going with the Sollies' Grande Armada. E.g., one of the ships that brought the missile pods from Mesa.

Or since they were still waiting for other ships to arrive as well as the Technodyne missiles, the crews were undoubtedly being given shore leave in rotation. She just doesn't return from shore leave.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:IfIRecallCorrectly, (and I might not),
then the sabotage was done while the fleet was already
in hyperspace on the way to Manticore.

So it would have been too late for that Tech to transfer
off of that ship.

Also, there is the question "how much of an Agent was
that Technician?" Did she know that she was emplacing a
bomb, or did she believe it to be business as usual?

HTM

Not remembering correctly. Her scene is the beginning of Chapter 9 and and the "show doesn't get on the road" until the last line of chapter 9.

For it being normal to install a bomb.

ART Chapter 22 wrote:The command that detonated the bomb a petty officer named Harder had installed in his console and killed every man and woman on SLNS Philip Oppenheimer’s flag bridge.

I would go with it ain't normal. :D

Have fun,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"

Return to Honorverse