Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

A question about the destruction of Admiral Filareta

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A question about the destruction of Admiral Filareta
Post by crewdude48   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

MAD-4A wrote:Snip...
Also I would have to think that the junction itself actually orbits Mc-A (nothing in space is "absolutely fixed").

According to HOS, The two stars orbit between 650 and 827 light-minutes apart. A couple pages later it then says "The wormhole nexus lies 412 light-minutes from Manticore A." The way they said it could mean that it is always that distance, or it could mean that it is currently at that distance, so nothing there. However, given the above numbers, one could extrapolate that it would almost have to be in an orbit around the center of mass of the system, rather than around one star.

On the other hand, the fact that hyper bridges are not normal space phenomenon, but rather Hyperspace that has impinged on normal space, it is totally possible in my mind that the interact with gravity in an entirely different way. Until you can show me the math of the Honorverse or Word Of RFC, we don't actually know that they can't be absolutely fixed.
Post by Vince   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:I'm not sure but, I don't recall it actually listing where in it's orbit Mc-B happens to be at this particular time. I do know it's still somewhat distant from the junction/junction-Mc-A traffic, but that doesn't mean on the opposite side of the system, or even if it's approaching or receding from it. It could be just a few degrees off & still several light minutes from the traffic. Anyone have the specifics on where it is in orbit? Also I would have to think that the junction itself actually orbits Mc-A (nothing in space is "absolutely fixed").

As far as the relative positions of Manticore-A and Manticore-B, as of Field of Dishonor, the two stars were just past periastron.

And for the specifics of the Manticore Wormhole Junction and its fixed relationship with Manticore A (the Junction doesn't obit the star) see:
Hyperspace near a Wormhole Junction
Also see this very detailed post by David (you will have to scroll down, it is the 4th post on the page):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3107&hilit=resonance+zone&start=130
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:05 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Vince wrote:Also see this very detailed post by David (you will have to scroll down, it is the 4th post on the page):

Note: You can manually tweak an URL to link to a particular post: ...&start=133
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Vince   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:17 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
Vince wrote:Also see this very detailed post by David (you will have to scroll down, it is the 4th post on the page):

Note: You can manually tweak an URL to link to a particular post: ...&start=133

Thanks. I've tried doing that before and the forums always went to the first post on the page (using your example, it always went to the URL I posted before--the equivalent of &start=130, even though the part where it said &start=133 was displayed in the browser address bar). Did the forum software get upgraded recently?
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to Honorverse