Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Any other books planned?
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
dreamrider wrote:Darn. Should have realized that, having just read LAMA, and reading the tweets.

I was focused on trying to make it something starting with "Honor", however (even numbered book, #14 - though I don't actually think that David consciously tries to do that.) <grin>

At least that makes it slightly more likely that it will be available for Christmas. (Tor's processing to publish time is slightly longer than Baen, though.)

dreamrider

I would guess he might be finished about the end of June, depending on how long the book is going to be. That seems like it should be enough time for Tor to have it out for Christmas, if they want to. Depends what they think will bring in most money in the pre-Christmas sales rush.

I've heard David say that Tor takes close to a year, 9 months when they put something on rush. As much due to production & marketing resources queuing as editing and pre-prod and PR. Baen shoots for more like 8 months, but they always fast-track David's stuff.

dreamrider
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:44 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:There is another Honorverse series starting up, with an in-universe start date at about the same time (mid-late 1530s), that deals with the early days of the Royal Manticoran Navy, through the career of an officer named Travis Long. The arc is intended to cover his whole career, which happens to coincide with the wormhole-potential fueled expansion of the RMN into a true interstellar force.

Those books are also a collaboration, guided by David and largely written by Timothy Zahn assisted by Tom Pope of Bu9. The first of those is targeted for late this year (2014), I believe. David usually refers to this series as the "Travis Long books", but I also recall speculation that they may come to be known as the "RMN series".

There is a long Travis Long story by Zahn in the anthology Beginnings. Due to the significant events of that story, I will be surprised if it is not incorporated/expanded in the first or second of the Travis Long books.
And that first Travis Long book had it's eARC released around New Years. (I keep having to remember than even 6 months later it still hasn't actually been published)

I don't think it's a significant spoiler to say that it begins a number of years before the short story you mentioned.
Thank You dreamrider
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:10 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Thank you dreamrider. Seems I have already read two out of three with only "Tree Cats Wars" left to enjoy. I enjoyed the writing style myself, but that is just me. HB of Cj (old coot) Lt.Cm.
Post by Vince   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
dreamrider wrote:There is another Honorverse series starting up, with an in-universe start date at about the same time (mid-late 1530s), that deals with the early days of the Royal Manticoran Navy, through the career of an officer named Travis Long. The arc is intended to cover his whole career, which happens to coincide with the wormhole-potential fueled expansion of the RMN into a true interstellar force.

Those books are also a collaboration, guided by David and largely written by Timothy Zahn assisted by Tom Pope of Bu9. The first of those is targeted for late this year (2014), I believe. David usually refers to this series as the "Travis Long books", but I also recall speculation that they may come to be known as the "RMN series".

There is a long Travis Long story by Zahn in the anthology Beginnings. Due to the significant events of that story, I will be surprised if it is not incorporated/expanded in the first or second of the Travis Long books.
And that first Travis Long book had it's eARC released around New Years. (I keep having to remember than even 6 months later it still hasn't actually been published)

I don't think it's a significant spoiler to say that it begins a number of years before the short story you mentioned.

A Call to Duty is listed on Baen's publishing schedule for release in October 2014 (print edition).
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by richardinor   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 pm

richardinor
Commander

About the treecat books RFC posted the following on another topic

"Nope. The 3 more referred to the trilogy Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I are collaborating on, which is set at approximately the same time as the Stephanie Harrington books and whose protagonist is a high school student when we first meet him. There are no more plans at this minute for additional treecat novels, although all of us hope we can return to them eventually. Looking at comparative sales and my very congested writing schedule, other projects have been pulled into line in front of them, however, and I have no idea at this time when that might change.

Sorry! :("
Post by SYED   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:35 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

WIll any of the short stories be buit upon? Sort od like how the treecat waoh serrs was originally a short story, now it is a book seriirs
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:50 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:WIll any of the short stories be buit upon? Sort od like how the treecat waoh serrs was originally a short story, now it is a book seriirs

Um, could you repost that, please? I can't make heads or tails of it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:27 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

SYED wrote:WIll any of the short stories be buit upon? Sort od like how the treecat waoh serrs was originally a short story, now it is a book seriirs

Well, there is a long story by Timothy Zahn in the Beginnings anthology, about the young officer Travis Long and his role in the first Battle of Manticore (c.1543 PD).

However, I believe that story was by way of introducing the character that David and Tim and Toni had already decided would be central to what is now the "Travis Long series", rather than the genesis of the idea for a series.

dreamrider
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Well unless I'm very badly mistaken the Torch series is a buildup of a short story which led to major changes in the plans for the main series so there is no reason that I see to say it can't happen again.
Post by SWM   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:46 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Well unless I'm very badly mistaken the Torch series is a buildup of a short story which led to major changes in the plans for the main series so there is no reason that I see to say it can't happen again.

The question wasn't "is it possible?", to which the answer is, of course, Yes. The question is "is it currently planned?" There are no indications of any such plans.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse