Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Any other books planned?
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
dreamrider wrote:There is another Honorverse series starting up, with an in-universe start date at about the same time (mid-late 1530s), that deals with the early days of the Royal Manticoran Navy, through the career of an officer named Travis Long. The arc is intended to cover his whole career, which happens to coincide with the wormhole-potential fueled expansion of the RMN into a true interstellar force.

Those books are also a collaboration, guided by David and largely written by Timothy Zahn assisted by Tom Pope of Bu9. The first of those is targeted for late this year (2014), I believe. David usually refers to this series as the "Travis Long books", but I also recall speculation that they may come to be known as the "RMN series".

There is a long Travis Long story by Zahn in the anthology Beginnings. Due to the significant events of that story, I will be surprised if it is not incorporated/expanded in the first or second of the Travis Long books.
And that first Travis Long book had it's eARC released around New Years. (I keep having to remember than even 6 months later it still hasn't actually been published)

I don't think it's a significant spoiler to say that it begins a number of years before the short story you mentioned.

The Series name for the Travis Long Books whihc I've heard is the "Manticore Ascendant" series
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: Any other books planned?
Post by saber964   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:44 pm

saber964
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:HB of CJ,

Star Kingdom books are a series of young adult novels co-authored by David and Jane Lindskold, focused around the earliest interactions of treecats with humans, and Stephanie Harrington, Honor's ancestor.

There are three:
A Beautiful Friendship
Fire Season
Treecat Wars

They are set in the mid-to-late 1530's (though I haven't been able to pin down the exact year), just as the assisted re-population immigration effort is coming to a close, and before the realization of the wormhole potential began to fuel the rise of the SKM to interstellar prominence.

There is another Honorverse series starting up, with an in-universe start date at about the same time (mid-late 1530s), that deals with the early days of the Royal Manticoran Navy, through the career of an officer named Travis Long. The arc is intended to cover his whole career, which happens to coincide with the wormhole-potential fueled expansion of the RMN into a true interstellar force.

Those books are also a collaboration, guided by David and largely written by Timothy Zahn assisted by Tom Pope of Bu9. The first of those is targeted for late this year (2014), I believe. David usually refers to this series as the "Travis Long books", but I also recall speculation that they may come to be known as the "RMN series".

There is a long Travis Long story by Zahn in the anthology Beginnings. Due to the significant events of that story, I will be surprised if it is not incorporated/expanded in the first or second of the Travis Long books.

Finally, if you are interested in some books which are quite different in detailed subject matter, but which read and "feel" very much "middle-Weber" (FiE thru AAC), I highly recommend DW's Safehold series, published by Tor Books. Be prepared for a few historical technology of warfare infodumps, however. Very David. <grin>

This is sort of David's "Lord Kalvan" series.

(How many people have caught onto THAT, RFC?)

dreamrider

The Star Kingdom novels take place from late 1518 PD to late 1522 PD.

Return to Honorverse