Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests

Some Wormhole Questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Some Wormhole Questions
Post by SCC   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:05 pm

SCC
Commander

OK, if this sort of thing has been asked before, please point me to the right thread.

What me know about the Torch Hyper Bridge and the Junction it connects to made me notice something: 4 of the MWHJ Termini are near the termini of other WHJ's. So maybe Wormhole Termini attract each other. Which suggests that there should be Wormhole Termini near the other Termini of the MWHJ, but have there ever been any surveys for these other potential Termini?

Secondly, does Simões know anything about the Torch WHJ? I mean I doubt that Mesa has many Hyperphysicists, especially ones that the Alignment trusts with this sort of information, what are chances are that he at some point was informed about it, just to get his opinion. He might not know about the locations, but he could have been shown the data, so if he ever sees the stuff collected on the Torch WHJ, will he recognize it? And will he now about the WHJ it connects to?

And on a slightly related note, how much information was he able to hand out about the Streak Drive?
Re: Some Wormhole Questions
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:20 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SCC wrote:Secondly, does Simões know anything about the Torch WHJ? I mean I doubt that Mesa has many Hyperphysicists, especially ones that the Alignment trusts with this sort of information, what are chances are that he at some point was informed about it, just to get his opinion. He might not know about the locations, but he could have been shown the data, so if he ever sees the stuff collected on the Torch WHJ, will he recognize it? And will he now about the WHJ it connects to?

You'll have to ask David, as he hasn't said anything either way. It does seem possible.

And on a slightly related note, how much information was he able to hand out about the Streak Drive?

You'll have to ask David, it was also very vague.

IIRC, he had a very superficial understanding about how how it worked. Like a 6th grade explanation about how an h-bomb works. Things, like radiation hydrodynamics, that are very important to building a working h-bomb are going to be totally absent from that explanation. However if you have never even heard of the concept of a fusion bomb you are obviously better off once someone tells you anything about it.
Post by SCC   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:34 am

SCC
Commander

kzt wrote:You'll have to ask David, it was also very vague.

IIRC, he had a very superficial understanding about how how it worked. Like a 6th grade explanation about how an h-bomb works. Things, like radiation hydrodynamics, that are very important to building a working h-bomb are going to be totally absent from that explanation. However if you have never even heard of the concept of a fusion bomb you are obviously better off once someone tells you anything about it.

I'm pretty sure the Simões was one of the people WORKING on the Streak Drive, that would imply that he knows a LOT about it, at least at the theoretical level
Post by munroburton   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 am

munroburton
Admiral

SCC wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Simões was one of the people WORKING on the Streak Drive, that would imply that he knows a LOT about it, at least at the theoretical level

Yeah, Simoes would know more than a 6th grade briefing about the Streak Drive. What he doesn't know that much about is the Spider Drive.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SCC wrote:

Yes. He was working on a project called "Streak Drive Improvements." It was also mentioned that, since he was in the Gamma Center, he didn't know anything about the hardware.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:33 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

SCC wrote:OK, if this sort of thing has been asked before, please point me to the right thread.

What me know about the Torch Hyper Bridge and the Junction it connects to made me notice something: 4 of the MWHJ Termini are near the termini of other WHJ's. So maybe Wormhole Termini attract each other. Which suggests that there should be Wormhole Termini near the other Termini of the MWHJ, but have there ever been any surveys for these other potential Termini?

I suspect you've noticed an artifact of incomplete maps. We don't have locations of all of the hyper bridge termini. If we did, that pattern might go away.

SCC wrote:Secondly, does Simões know anything about the Torch WHJ? I mean I doubt that Mesa has many Hyperphysicists, especially ones that the Alignment trusts with this sort of information, what are chances are that he at some point was informed about it, just to get his opinion. He might not know about the locations, but he could have been shown the data, so if he ever sees the stuff collected on the Torch WHJ, will he recognize it? And will he now about the WHJ it connects to?

My suspicion is he knows all about "The Twins", including the catalog number, for exactly the reason you said. He may or may not know about the actual location of the Torch terminus, but I suspect he knows enough about it to recognize it if someone asks him. Which is unlikely until (or unless) he runs into Dr. Kare and Dr. Wix.

SCC wrote:And on a slightly related note, how much information was he able to hand out about the Streak Drive?

I expect all the theory, including stuff his former employers don't know.
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Wow, misread that question. He knows the theory for the streak drive in great depth, as he apparently was the lead researcher. Though the part he was working on was the next generation model, not the existing working model.

He can't tell you much about how you would actually implement it into physical hardware, as he apparently was in a different compartment than everyone doing that and he had no access to them or their equipment. It was hinted that the implementation team was on Darius.

He certainly would have some ideas about implementation, but they might not be all that useful.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Once you positively know something can be done, that is a huge impetus to research in itself. Give Sonya, Forraker and Grayson all the theory as well and I would expect them to crack the implementation pretty fast.
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Once you positively know something can be done, that is a huge impetus to research in itself. Give Sonya, Forraker and Grayson all the theory as well and I would expect them to crack the implementation pretty fast.

They have personally demonstrated exactly what improvements to the hyperdrive that convinces you they are ideally suited to rapidly turn theory into working hardware?
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:21 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Shannon Foraker has been rapidly turning theory into working hardware for, what, 12 years now? Mostly her own theories, granted, but I'd say she's got the requisite experience. The Graysons invented a much better compensator because nobody would tell them how to build the old one. Sonya Hemphill has practically re-invented space warfare. I don't think there's anybody in the galaxy better qualified to develop a streak drive, and they might just make improvements Simoes and the Mesans never thought of.
-----------------
Zathras understand.
--
No. Zathras not understand. But, Zathras DO.
Zathras good at doings. Not so good at understandings.

Return to Honorverse