Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

The MAlign all-in response

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The MA all-in response
Post by filbert   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:56 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

My own expectation, mainly because it would be so darn twisty, is that the MA via the RF will join the GA to defeat/dismember the SLN.

And then turn around and subvert/corrupt the "good-guy" GA members from within.

(This post contains your minimum daily requirement of Honorverse acronyms. You're welcome.)
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

filbert wrote:My own expectation, mainly because it would be so darn twisty, is that the MA via the RF will join the GA to defeat/dismember the SLN.

And then turn around and subvert/corrupt the "good-guy" GA members from within.

(This post contains your minimum daily requirement of Honorverse acronyms. You're welcome.)

:o
My niece said something similar. She said the MA should use their own tech to disguise themselves to appear as slaves and relocate right on Haven, no treecats, yet. Who would think to look for them right under their own tongues...err nose.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Scuffles   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Scuffles
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Scuffles, I meant to add if they needed the collapse sped up.
In case they think the GA might become too strong.
Remember these are arrogant maniacs who honestly believe they can so it without being caught at it and have already killed millions in sneak attacks. From killing millions to killing billions is nothing.

All that stops them is worry about how it affects their plans, and it's getting to the point where they need the break up to happen sooner rather than later. The balance of breaking the league versus the sympathy it would create in Manticore's favour.

I fail to see how glassing Sphinx can possibly lead to the league breaking up faster. Care to elaborate?

Also, there's an enormous difference between sneak attacking a legitimate military installation and destroying an entire planet. Sure, there was large amounts of collateral damage, but to suggest that there's not a huge step between the two is crazy.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Scuffles is right. The best MA plan is to do absolutely nothing, and let the Renaissance Front become a major political bloc, preferably one that is friendly to Manticore for the first decade or two.

With the RF member systems forming the foundation for a large Solarian remnant, there's no reason Mesa can't become the leaders of the galaxy's most powerful political unit inside of three or four decades.

Of course, this isn't necessarily what Mesa will do.
Post by Whitecold   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:41 am

Whitecold
Commander

The MAling already went all in with activating their plan. Now is the time they should focus on cashing in on the results, that is making the RF a reality, and to severe any and all leads to Mesa/the MAling. Further operations only increase the chance of further discoveries.
If anything a MAling hideout should be 'found' and destroyed, so the GA is sure the MAling is truly gone.
Also find a way how the RF got access to MAling tech, preferably by hostile means, to establish them further as enemies to all things Mesan.
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Point of order (otherwise known as a nitpick):

The acronym MA has traditionally referred to the Manticoran Alliance in these forums and in Baen's Bar, from before we even knew about the Detweilers family hobby.

When the Mesan Alignment came on the scene, there were a few weeks of struggle to find a good handle, but generally the fanbase settled on MAlg or MAlign, specifically to distinguish discussion of Manticoran Alliance vs Mesan Alignment.

(Of course, this is all David's fault in the first place, for poor acronymic planning, but if we are going to complain about his faults, I suggest that one falls well behind his failure to write 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.)

dreamrider
Post by SWM   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:05 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:Point of order (otherwise known as a nitpick):

The acronym MA has traditionally referred to the Manticoran Alliance in these forums and in Baen's Bar, from before we even knew about the Detweilers family hobby.

When the Mesan Alignment came on the scene, there were a few weeks of struggle to find a good handle, but generally the fanbase settled on MAlg or MAlign, specifically to distinguish discussion of Manticoran Alliance vs Mesan Alignment.

(Of course, this is all David's fault in the first place, for poor acronymic planning, but if we are going to complain about his faults, I suggest that one falls well behind his failure to write 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.)

dreamrider

Actually, on this forum, people have been using MA for Mesan Alignment for the last four years, at least.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:59 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Crown Loyalist,

Except that Eloise and Elisabeth are expecting the RF from the get-go, as is the rest of the GA leadership, so the RF is going to have to deal with treecats, at least as GA leader guardians.

Avoiding treecats will be noticed, so effectively infiltrating the GA in 3-4 decades is rather unlikely, especially given all the clues we have so far.

L

Crown Loyalist wrote:Scuffles is right. The best MA plan is to do absolutely nothing, and let the Renaissance Front become a major political bloc, preferably one that is friendly to Manticore for the first decade or two.

With the RF member systems forming the foundation for a large Solarian remnant, there's no reason Mesa can't become the leaders of the galaxy's most powerful political unit inside of three or four decades.

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by biochem   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:26 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Crown Loyalist,

Except that Eloise and Elisabeth are expecting the RF from the get-go, as is the rest of the GA leadership, so the RF is going to have to deal with treecats, at least as GA leader guardians.

Avoiding treecats will be noticed, so effectively infiltrating the GA in 3-4 decades is rather unlikely, especially given all the clues we have so far.

L

Crown Loyalist wrote:Scuffles is right. The best MA plan is to do absolutely nothing, and let the Renaissance Front become a major political bloc, preferably one that is friendly to Manticore for the first decade or two.

Developing a technological and/or genetic counter to the treecats is likely to be an extremely high priority to the RF. If I were in charge it would be the TOP research priority given their negative impact to date on MAlign operations and what they could predict their negative effect could be in the future.

I doubt it will be easy to design a solution. But at least said solution will be easy to test. Give the technology/genetics to some poor dupe, equip it with an automatic self destruct and send him/her to Sphinx with orders to kill the head of the Forestry department. If he/she is successful the technology works, if not back to the drawing board.
You At First Will Save Your Own
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:48 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

A time on target kinetic strike on about 10 or so, (maybe more if possible?) of the Grand Alliance, (GA) planets will stop any GA offensive dead it its tracks. Here is why...

First things first. Your first duty is to save your own people. If a kinetic strike on YOUR home planet has wiped out the biosphere you MUST evac all your people .... immediately.

That is what you are going to do to the exclusion of all else. Saving your own comes first. You have 6 months to somehow SAVE 2 BILLION folks from slow certain death.

Remember, the ecosystem have been destroyed...it just does not know it yet. You got to get all of your own people off the planet. Where are you going to put them? Nasty.

More nasty is that the kinetic strikes are stealthed. Nobody knows for sure who did it. The MAlignment will set things up to make it look like the Sollies did it. Again...nasty.

This would instantly gut any offensive capability of the GA fleet. Way too busy doing rescue and relocation duties. Again, nasty. Nasty as in the MAlignment. All in. Yikes!

All in. It gets worserer. Save a couple inhabitable planets so the GA has someplace to put all the BILLIONS of refugees. Wait a bit... then HIT THOSE PLANETS ALSO! Blame the Sollies.

HB of CJ (old coot) Ct.Cm. All in. No rules. Anything goes.

Return to Honorverse